Braids

smartblackgirl

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I have to say that it is one of the most informative on the net.

Right now my hair is Halle Berry short (well, it's a little longer in the front) and I am trying get it to grow to at least 3 inches below my bra strap. My hair is very thick and for the most part it is healthy. What I would like to know is Are braids a good way of getting you hair to grow? I know that your hair will be protected but what about the strain braids put on you scalp?

Do a search and you will find a lot of info on braids. Make sure at the bottom of the search page you indicate to search for newer than 1 year and make sure at the top you search in subject only....so you don't get too many irrelevant topics.

Personally, braids have helped me grow my hair from one inch to nine inches in two years, with regular trimming too. I honestly believe one reason I've had success with braids is because I do my own braids, I'm careful not to pull my hair. Also I am careful to attach less hair per section than the thickness of my own hair in each section -- so there's less strain. I use human hair extensions which I find light. I also don't use hair that is longer than is necessary. For the two years I mention, my extensions hanged just a little beyond my shoulders. I only advanced to longer braids when my hair was sort of the same length as the extensions in parts. (You see, I like the idea of being able to curl the ends of the braids with a curling iron without the hot metal touching my hair.)

Unless you know a good braider who doesn't braid too tightly or unless you can braid your own hair so you can do it firmly but gentle enough not to cause alopecia, I would suggest you get braids without extensions...or get cornrows, again with just your hair. Your braider would still have to be one who doesn't pull. Why I say "no extensions" is because you won't have to worry about the extra weight/stress on your scalp. One of my idols (Mufasa) wears cornrows and her hair is to die for. You could get a cute wig for when you tire of the braided look, or for when your braids start to look untidy but you're not ready for a do-over. If you had the cornrows meeting at the top of your head or in the back, you could get a fake pony or bun to attach as a way to achieve a different "look".

I agree with Nonie. 2 years ago I had to cut my hair due to extreme damage. I was wearing a cut shorter than the Halle Berry and with braids my hair grew into a chin length bob in about 6 months. I opted for cornrows and styles that did not require alot of manipulation. I also found a stylist that did not pull my hair or braid too tight (very important). There are some that think just because they have braids they don't have to pay attention to their hair. NO! With the right style and giving your hair some extra-TLC you most definitely experience growth. I am taking the Braid Challenge because I know it works! Good Luck!

Hello and welcome to this wonderful website! There is a wealth of information on the internet, but there is popular website that I have been using. www.growafrohairlong.com. I hope you reach all of your goals for growing your hair! Good Luck!

Back