BRAIDS

longhairlover

Do you ladies feel that braids help hair growth? I'm thinking of getting braids for part of the summer. I want to lose some weight and I can't wash my hair everyday while working out.

What do you ladies think?

Also do you know of any good hair braiders in NYC preferably harlem. A co-worker of mine said i can corn row the middle of my head and just get the small braids to cover and just sport a ponytail.

There are like 20 African braid salons on 125th street between 1st ave & 12th ave in Harlem

braids can help or harm... they are low maint but if totally neglected or abuse, ya could have more loss than growth

if ya have thin edges,Id advise against microbraids

whatever ya do, keep em moisturized at the NG and feed in areas

I agree that braids can be good or harmful. It allows freedom from manipulating and is AWESOME for the versatility of going from workout mode to hang out mode with a quickness. But it's all in how you care for your hair. MOISTURE MOISTURE MOISTURE and keeping your scalp and hair clean is a must.

If you can braid yourself, great. You can wash often and keep them looking fresh by redoing a few for neat appearance if necessary. My hair is in kinky twists now and this routine works for me. I work out 5-6 days a week and I'm transitioning, so this style is a Godsend for me. I'll probably wear twists and braids for the remaining of my transition.

well on 125th st there is nothing but african braid shops, I haven't bee to any, but if our willing to take a ride on the 5 to gun hill, theres a shop called Amy's that I go to and recommend

Do you ladies feel that braids help hair growth? I'm thinking of getting braids for part of the summer. I want to lose some weight and I can't wash my hair everyday while working out.

What do you ladies think?

Also do you know of any good hair braiders in NYC preferably harlem. A co-worker of mine said i can corn row the middle of my head and just get the small braids to cover and just sport a ponytail.

I don't think that they help hair grow, but they certainly help you to retain hair length. I have a 7 week braid in right now, will be removing on the week-end. I have maintained my braids very well using the Crown & Glory method.

I have about an inch of new growth so far and I keep them really clean so they still look relly great according to my sister and friends. Never the less, they are coming out this week end. Robin sugggest keeping them in no longer than 8 weeks at a time. I only wash my hair once a week to 10 days.

washing braids

how do you wash extensions (braids)? do i use a spray with like witch hazel on the scalp or do you wash braids under the water like you do your regular hair? I really want to hit the gym but I just can't deal with my hair poofing up :)

I have a very full hair line and my hair is pretty tough.

what size braids do you recommend?

and which kind of hair is best for relaxed hair?

i know, i know all the questions :spinning:

Re: washing braids

how do you wash extensions (braids)?[/b] do i use a spray with like witch hazel on the scalp or do you wash braids under the water like you do your regular hair? I really want to hit the gym but I just can't deal with my hair poofing up :)

I have a very full hair line and my hair is pretty tough.

what size braids do you recommend?

and which kind of hair is best for relaxed hair?

i know, i know all the questions :spinning:

To wash my braids/twist I separate my hair into 4 sections like I do my own hair when loose. Then I do loose plaits...well the plaits are tight but I leave it loose near the scalp. I work one section at a time. I use diluted shampoo and concentrate on cleaning my scalp while holding the end of the braid to relieve weight and avoid excessive slipping (the water can make the braids heavy). I then undo the braid I'm working with to rinse, still holding part of the braid ... never letting the section just hang. I do this weekly and I use sea breeze and a q-tip during the week a few times on my scalp only (because I work out a lot and I want to make sure my scalp is clean)

I try to go with pencil size braids...small enough to look nice but not so small that I dread taking them out when the time comes.

I'm transitioning so I get "dreadloc" hair (it's called that) because it best matches my new growth, so I can't help you there.

I can guarantee you all your questions can be answered at growafrohairlong.com. :yep:

ITA. It was www.growafrohairlong.com that helped to understand which size braid would work best for me. I do not care for micro braids but I really like boxed braids a lot. You really should check out this site for more answers about braids before you braid your hair.

I wash my hair with diluted shampoo and distilled water in a jug and pour it over my hair sometimes and sometimes I would sponge wash it with the diluted poo and water and then condition the same way every 7-10 days. I do use the infusium 23 and African Royale braid spray the same way Robin suggests on the website.

I would suggest billy jeans on 116 and lenox its in between the block across the street from bank of america. They have good prices and can start the braid with your own hair

thank you,

in the pic i was 6 or 8 months without a relaxer. I was roller setting, but then i started back blowdrying my hair (it likes that better) using toque emergencia blow drying leave in spray for damaged hair.

but I recently started relaxing again using SILK ELEMENTS butter relaxer purchased at sallys it's really nice.

OP: your hair is beautiful! what relaxer do you use?

thank you so much, I work at the irs on 125th, so 116th would be great, i would really like to see how they do the braid starting with your own hair, is it good for the hair?

i sent you a pm about this.

thx

I would suggest billy jeans on 116 and lenox its in between the block across the street from bank of america. They have good prices and can start the braid with your own hair

ok i'm gonna check the site, did your hair grow with the braids, and how long do you recommend leaving the braids in?

thx

ITA. It was www.growafrohairlong.com that helped to understand which size braid would work best for me. I do not care for micro braids but I really like boxed braids a lot. You really should check out this site for more answers about braids before you braid your hair.

I wash my hair with diluted shampoo and distilled water in a jug and pour it over my hair sometimes and sometimes I would sponge wash it with the diluted poo and water and then condition the same way every 7-10 days. I do use the infusium 23 and African Royale braid spray the same way Robin suggests on the website.

Back