Braids: No extensions or with to give hair a rest

Junonia

I've been reading in the posts that braids are a great way to give your hair a rest. What do you ladies think is better to braid hair with or without extensions? I've done both. Speaking for myself, without the extenstions my hair sheds less because I am able to moisturize better.

I've done both and I actually liked the braids without extentions. It's easier to wash and moisturize like you said. Extension work, but they take longer to handle with the wash and condition process.

I just put braids it to wear under my wig. I been wigging it since November. I had cornrowns but now I just put in some single plaits and they look much cuter when I take the wig off :).

I am all natural..

On my relaxed hair I prefer it with extensions. I am afraid of the tension and manipulation of braiding on my own hair. I could just be paraniod, but the extra hair to create the braids seems more protecting during the entire process.

I guess it I was getting looser braids I could be okay with it on my own hair, but I don't think that would last as long.

I put in individuals on a woman with bsl relaxed hair. The pics are in my lhcf gallery. She kept them in for about a month. First she wore them up in a bun and then she came by and we rodded them to wear down. She loved the style but not the time taking them in and out.

She got about an inch growth and the amount of hair she lost after we took them down, washed, detangled, deep conditioned, etc. was less than I would have expected given she wasn't combing, etc.

I've also done individual plaits on my own natural hair with and without extensions.

It's all about technique and good haircare.

p1

EXTENSIONS cut ur natural/relaxed hair during a long period of time so if u have enough hair to braid without extensions its best.Ur natural/relaxed hair hold moisture longer than extensions do.

Any braids that I do from now on will be with my natural hair.

I won't be using extensions anymore, at least not for a while

Maybe the key is not leaving them in so long if your hair is fragile. My cornrows come out every week or two at the most and my hair is very moist with little shedding. This is without the extensions. It keeps the comb and brush and fingers out of my hair, lol. bonjour

Bumping for more answers...

I plan on getting my hair braided in the next two weeks in cornrows.
I haven't had my hair braided in years. I remember my hair growing with extensions, however, I had lots of breakage. I know some of the damage was attributed to them burning my hair with the lighter, pulling, tugging and lack of moisture. Do you think it's better to braid with own hair, synthetic or real hair extensions? Which do you think would be able to retain moisture?

WELL for me i braid small braids all over my head the look cute:blush:and the end curly on their own :yep: i was deepcon once a week and moisture and use bt.use protein when need.and it growing. now i am going to wear my LF OVER MY BRAIDS so far so good. but what every you do keep your hair moisture and please take care of your temples use something on them every day.i lost mys cause i didnt watch them thats why i dont wear extension with synthetic hair. real hair extension works better for me it seem it holds moisture better:imo:and you can still bag if you are in to it.

I woke up today just tired. Tired of brushing my hair, combing my hair, sleeping in rollers, having oodles of bottles and potions on my bathroom sink the whoooooooooole nine. I want to braid it asap to stop myself from shaving it all off. I wore my hair in box braids for 2 years using my own hair, but at the time my hair was all natural. At this point I want to transition either back to natural or texlaxed, but I'm afraid that my relaxed ends won't hold the braid. I'd like to wear the extensions for about 6 months and then cut my relaxed ends to braid with my hair but in the meantime what kind of hair should I use? From this thread it sounds like human hair for moisture but I've hever used extensions and have no experience buying hair so I need advice TIA

and sorry for hijacking the thread :look:

I put in individuals on a woman with bsl relaxed hair. The pics are in my lhcf gallery. She kept them in for about a month. First she wore them up in a bun and then she came by and we rodded them to wear down. She loved the style but not the time taking them in and out.

She got about an inch growth and the amount of hair she lost after we took them down, washed, detangled, deep conditioned, etc. was less than I would have expected given she wasn't combing, etc.

I've also done individual plaits on my own natural hair with and without extensions.

It's all about technique and good haircare.

p1

ITA. I've had good success with both. With the awesome 100 degree temps in Atlanta this summer, I've been sporting a couple of braided dos with my natural hair: after wash and airdry to about 70%, put hair into one large single braid and leave alone until next wash, keeping it tied down with satin scarf at night. Next wash, part hair straight down the middle and have two large single braids on each side (my DH says I look like a teenager!) and use jeweled hairpins to pin up for more sophisticated (and more grown up look). I love these styles cuz soooo simple, zero manipulation between wash, super cool and off my neck and I can still show length if I want my just letting my braids hang, no extensions and I can wash and moisturize my hair with maximum benefit from week to week. Been doing this about a month now and because these are excellent protective styles, I can tell I'm retaining more lenght then usual -- can't wait to touchup next month!

I woke up today just tired. Tired of brushing my hair, combing my hair, sleeping in rollers, having oodles of bottles and potions on my bathroom sink the whoooooooooole nine. I want to braid it asap to stop myself from shaving it all off. I wore my hair in box braids for 2 years using my own hair, but at the time my hair was all natural. At this point I want to transition either back to natural or texlaxed, but I'm afraid that my relaxed ends won't hold the braid. I'd like to wear the extensions for about 6 months and then cut my relaxed ends to braid with my hair but in the meantime what kind of hair should I use? From this thread it sounds like human hair for moisture but I've hever used extensions and have no experience buying hair so I need advice TIA

and sorry for hijacking the thread :look:
they have all kinds of real hair i like the wet and wave my self you can moistureizer good with it and when you wash it ,it comes back i use 3packs got a big head:lachen::lachen:oh they have curly hair too.but i found my self have to set it when it got a little old. any way the wet an wave one you just put it in big braids afther you wash and let it dry and when you take it down. it look good

Back