Braids & Breakage

SincerelyJouet

So help! I haven't been around in the forums for a while and I have been transitioning since August 2010. I recently had the box braids for the past 3 months and my hair has broken off so much! Is that natural? I know I will be experiencing a lot of breakage but sheesh! I am kind of scared to even get the box braids anymore because it appears that my edges look weaker. NO I didn't scratch cause I heard that scratching will definitely tear your edges up. I almost fainted when I saw how much hair broke off. =/

What are the best braiding styles when transitioning?

How tight were they? The nape and hairline is normally the most fragile point for hair. I do my own now because braiders braid too tight. If you can't turn your neck back and forth without pain it's too tight. You also have to take care of your hair under braids. www.growafrohairlong.com is a great resource for a braid regimen.

No, they weren't really tight but I think it may have had something to do with my nutrition. Thanks so much for the link! =)

How were you taking care of your hair? Were you washing and moisturizing regularly? I'm sorry to hear about the breakage. Dealing with multiple textures is difficult. I transitioned with braids as well several years ago, so I understand.

ETA: If you don't mind sharing, what was happening nutrition-wise?

I've come to the conclusion that my hair doesn't like to be braided :nono: I had very loose cane rows put in and my edges still suffered :perplexed The next time I had the braids started behind my ear, it now looks like my edges :ohwell:

My hair doesn't like canerows either. I had them in for one week. They were small, but I did them myself, nice and loose, and I still had an unreasonable amount of breakage :(

Three months is a long time to keep in extensions unless you have done it before and know your hair can take it. I typically don't keep hair in longer than 6 to 8 weeks because of the new growth that occurs and the shed hair starts to twist around the base of the extension. So I'm not sure if that is the case but it could be.

And you do really have to take care of your hair with the added hair in. Not being able to get to the hair fully for 3 months may be more than your hair can take. I would want to take the hair out after 6 to 8 weeks to do a thorough cleansing, conditioning and let the hair rest.

faithVA, thanks for that! I also have been debating on keeping my braids in any longer, mostly because I miss feeling my hair! I'm going to try to make it to 6 weeks, but most likely will remove these at 4!!

nelle11236 - I don't think I've been drinking ENOUGH water. As well having a balanced nutrition. I know that definitely has a lot to do with your hair growth.

faithVA - I originally thought that 2 months was the limit but the girl who did my hair said 3 months if you get the top refreshed. Either way, I thought 2 months should be the it limit. Thanks for that! =D

@nelle11236 - I don't think I've been drinking ENOUGH water. As well having a balanced nutrition. I know that definitely has a lot to do with your hair growth.

@faithVA - I originally thought that 2 months was the limit but the girl who did my hair said 3 months if you get the top refreshed. Either way, I thought 2 months should be the it limit. Thanks for that! =D

Some people can do 3 months. My hair don't play that. :lol: It is true the braids will last and I probably could really get my regimen down to handle it. But between the possibility of matting and the inability to see my ends, I just don't like to risk it.

I am getting ready to install kinky twists this weekend and keep them in for 4 weeks and I'm not sure about that. So at 4 weeks I will be taking them out and checking my ends :yep:

Breakage is not suppose to happen when you get braids... only shedding should happen. After your braider, braided your hair did she go back and cut the hair that was sticking out, on each braid, to make it look neater? I find a lot of braiders like to do that, for the polished/finished look and I normally see this happening to relaxed hair

ETA. Kinky twist would probably work better for you, just make sure you REALLY moisturize your hair before putting them in. HTH

Back