Braids and color ..... I need advise

SouthernStunner

My 13yr old Men
Hi ladies, I got my hair permanetly colored in May. I just got braids 2 weeks ago and I just ran into my hairdresser and she said that I am taking a chace with the braids and my colored hair. She said that they will dry my hair out. I am scared. I spray my hair with a mixture of glycerin and conditioner then spray again with s-curl and seal with extra virgin coconut oil. I do this at least once a day. I co wash at least 2 a week and shampoo with CON (green lable old version) and DC for at least 2 hours without heat on Sundays. I also baggie every night to try to keep in moisture. Should I be worried??????? She has me wanting to take these box braids out tonight.

I want to chime in here. I guess it all depends on your hair and its health. I wore extension braids for years and a few times had my hair coloured. What happened to me is that it was too drying and then putting all those moisturisers caused my hair to get matted when ever I would take them out to wash and rebraid, thus I lost a lot of hair in the end.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I think that your hair will be fine. I have worn braids so many times and I actually have braids in my hair now and my hair is color treated too..... as long as you keep it mosturize..like you seem to be doing, you will be fine. I also put oil in my scalp everynight to keep my scalp mosturize and then I sleep with a plastic cap on my head. I don't shampoo my braids but I do DC it every week. This helps your hair a lot and when you take out your braids, you hair should be soft. You will lose some hair because you haven't comb it for a while when you take out your braids but you should be fine and your hair will be healthy.:yep:

I think that the hairdresser deserves props. She didn't say take the braids out, but she did warn you that there could be some drying issues. To me this says ensure you're moisturizing properly. If you were not wise about moisture, the advice given would have possibly saved your hair.

Back