Braidout question

tanyaj

Hi Ladies....I just have two quick questions and there is no better group of ladies to ask:grin:

1) I'm about 9 weeks post relaxer(I never go this long) and I don't think I'll do a touch up until after I come back from Disney which I'll be back on the 12th. Is it okay to flat iron my roots before I do a braidout as long as I use a heat protectant??

2)how the Heck do I keep my ends from being frizzy after I take the braids out??

Thanks in advance
Tanya

well I've only started doing braids out since I started my transition so I never did it on fully relaxed hair but I wanted to chime in with this...

If braiding out your hair is to induce a wavy texture on your chemically straighten hair, then to me it makes no sense to straighten your roots only to further put a wavy pattern in them by using the braid out method :-/ Maybe a relaxed head can chime in.

As for frizzy ends...I used to experience this issue up until just a few days if not weeks ago because my ends are still relaxed. The main cause of them becoming frizzy for me was because the twists/braids would start to unravel. I've noticed that using better products and securing them really well at night has helped a lot. I'm not sure what products to recommend for you since you are relaxed but as for securing them I would just cross wrap them across my head and use about 3-4 2-prong clips/pins on each twist/braid to prevent them from slipping out. Of course I wear a satin bonnet on top of that. Since my hair has been secured better, my ends have been less frizzy.

I agree with PP. I wouldn't flat-iron the roots as I personally believes it gets a more natural look not having flat-ironed roots. Perhaps use a gel or edge control in the front of the hairline if want it to look more smooth in the front, but I usually don't even do that.

I used satin-covered rollers on my ends to keep them from frizzing. After braiding I'll dampen my ends some sort of leave-in (or plain old water) and then seal with vaseline or some other thick cream, then put the rollers on. Next morning, smooth ends.

tanyaj, relaxed head checking in! No need to flat iron the roots unless you feel that it will give you the ability to work with your hair a little better. Sometimes it's quite challenging working with thick ng. Flar ironing definitely knocks out some of the kink and thickness and makes things a little more manageable overall. Again, not necessary but you can if you choose.

I like to work with hair that's slightly damp when doing braid outs. I think the wave pattern is more defined. Damp hair is not necessary though.

I moisturize & seal first. I then part my hair down the middle and make two pigtail type braids - one on the left and one on the right. I then twirl each braid around and around in a pin curl and secure with a good days hair pin. Basically my hair looks like two little balls after they've been pinned. Pin curling really helps tame the ends.

Divachyk, thank you very much! I guess I should've clarified what I was saying!! My NG is out of control!! So thick and out of control, lol

@tanyaj have you tried any DC'ers that would help manage your NG? I don't have super kinky hair (type 3) but I hear some women rave about certain DC'ers that really "tame" their NG and even loosen the curl pattern for some products. For me, my hair seems love almost any DC'er so I'm not good to ask for recommendations for, the list would be long lol. But I would do something like that to make your NG more manageable instead of using direct heat like a flatiron. It might help to DC using indirect heat such as a dryer over a plastic cap or just a plastic cap for the GHE.

Hi Ladies....I just have two quick questions and there is no better group of ladies to ask:grin:

1) I'm about 9 weeks post relaxer(I never go this long) and I don't think I'll do a touch up until after I come back from Disney which I'll be back on the 12th. Is it okay to flat iron my roots before I do a braidout as long as I use a heat protectant??

2)how the Heck do I keep my ends from being frizzy after I take the braids out??

Thanks in advance
Tanya

tanyaj
How many braids and how close to the scalp are you braiding? Your new growth should blend nicely with your wavy ends, right?

I think flat ironing would defeat the whole purpose. I braid/twist out on 90% air dried hair. Sometimes I get under the dryer to get some more smoothness. I always M & S before I get started and I out some oil on my hands and fingertips to make the hair silky when I take it down. I don't use a comb just finger style to arrange the hair and hide any parts. Every night i m & s, pin curl, rebraid or retwist to maintain the style.

bhndbrwneyes..I have done that!! Works a little but not really!! I don't usually go this many weeks in between relaxers!! I start shedding badly and new growth can't get a comb through it at all!!!

Mshoneyfly...I do either two or three braids!! And it's corn rolled so that it's right on the scalp!

I decided today that I'm just going to continue dong the braid out until I come back from Disney!! It's going to be so hot there anyway, I wont want it hanging down which is the way I'd wear it if I relaxed it before hand. And as far as being frizzy, i'm sure that the 88 degree weather is going to make that happen anyway!!

Thank you all so much

Back