Braidout and Twistout People!

sweetpeadst

Quick question: Do you wash hair daily when doing these styles?? I have a problem I did a braidout yesterday! I went to sleep on my satin pillow case and put a satin cap on. When I woke up I looked horrible. So I co washed and twisted it so I was just wondering what everyone else did!!!!!!!!!

I usually have to wash and redo mine every three days, the first two days I can wear it down, I pin curl the hair under my sating cap at night, but by the third day the curls are a little "frizzy" so I pin it up in a updo. HTH

sweetpeadst said:
Quick question: Do you wash hair daily when doing these styles?? I have a problem I did a braidout yesterday! I went to sleep on my satin pillow case and put a satin cap on. When I woke up I looked horrible. So I co washed and twisted it so I was just wondering what everyone else did!!!!!!!!!

I wash my hair once a week when wearing braidouts.
To keep those styles looking fresh you have to redo them every other day.

i have pictures of my braidout in my album...
i re-braid my hair every night using leave-in and jojoba oil on the ends
i wash every 3-4 days.

HTH

vangrey said:
i wash every 3-4 days.

Same here - I do the initial braid out. At night, I go down the length and ends with leave in/serum/oil or whatever I choose to use. After it's moist I braid it up, sometimes I even put the braids is bantu knots and secure with my scarf. I rock that system out and I'll say I wash every three days. It seems to work....everyone is right about the sections getting a little buckwild after a few days. :D

vangrey said:
i wash every 3-4 days.

HTH
I looked at your album earlier! Your hair is gorgeous thanks for your help! What leave ins do you use?

I usually wash every 3 - 4 days. I wear it down the first day or so, half up and half down the next, and in a pony for the remainder of the time. Usually, I just put my hair in a lose (and I mean LOSE) pony at the top of my head.

sweetpeadst said:
I looked at your album earlier! Your hair is gorgeous thanks for your help! What leave ins do you use?

thank you... it all depends on what you are willing to spend :grin:
cheap
ntm leave-in
ntm serum <---- love this stuff

expensive
salerm 21
alfaparf serum <----smells really good!!

both ways get the job done. the serum is applied in the morning after i shake my hair out of the braid out.

vangrey said:
i wash every 3-4 days.

HTH

same here, I normally just put 4 individuals in my hair to create the braidout, and I have to do it nightly

Sweetpeadst, what was horrible about it? Was it flat or puffy or what? Did you tuck your ends under when you put the satin cap on? And was it dry when you went to sleep on it? :confused: Also what products, if any, did you use for the braid/twist out?

balisi said:
Sweetpeadst, what was horrible about it? Was it flat or puffy or what? Did you tuck your ends under when you put the satin cap on? And was it dry when you went to sleep on it? :confused: Also what products, if any, did you use for the braid/twist out?
I guess I was sleeping good last night. It was pushed up on both sides and flat! I co washed with Nioxin Smoothing Scalp THerapy rinsed then put Lacio Lacio and Silk Elixer as leave ins, WGO and NTM Serum! It looked good before I went to sleep!!

sweetpeadst said:
I guess I was sleeping good last night. It was pushed up on both sides and flat! I co washed with Nioxin Smoothing Scalp THerapy rinsed then put Lacio Lacio and Silk Elixer as leave ins, WGO and NTM Serum! It looked good before I went to sleep!!

Have you ever done the set with some gel? I've always used gel on braidouts/twistouts and never had any problems, whether my hair was relaxed or natural. Let's Jam! gives a good shiny twist out that's soft to the touch and lasts. Royal Roots by Taliah Waajid is another good gel for twist outs. I also prefer to spritz my hair with setting lotion when I twist/braid set.

balisi said:
Have you ever done the set with some gel? I've always used gel on braidouts/twistouts and never had any problems, whether my hair was relaxed or natural. Let's Jam! gives a good shiny twist out that's soft to the touch and lasts. Royal Roots by Taliah Waajid is another good gel for twist outs. I also prefer to spritz my hair with setting lotion when I twist/braid set.

NO I don't like dgel in my hair! The braidout came out fine it was when I went to sleep is when the disaster came. I am a rough sleeper!!!!!

mysweetevieDoes hair length matter with the braidset or twist out? I have layers

I also have layers! It still works!!!!! IMO the longer set looks better than a shorter set. I did my sister a twist out and it was absolutely adorable on her (she has my goal length-armpit hair) I will try to post pics but I think my Fotki is full! She wants me to redo it so she is co washing it right now!!!!!!!!!

Tami said:
I usually have to wash and redo mine every three days, the first two days I can wear it down, I pin curl the hair under my sating cap at night, but by the third day the curls are a little "frizzy" so I pin it up in a updo. HTH

ITA, this is what I generally do for my twistouts (I never, ever, EVER do braid outs!!!).

Although, sometimes when I'm feeling lazy and don't want to redo my hair and also want to keep the style longer; I grab hair, oil and roll with about 6-8 rollers for the 2nd day. This really keeps the style an extra two days. Then I possibly updo.

For sleeping I pin it down and cover.

Since I've been washing once a week during the winter months, I'll just spritz it with my moisture mix real good, detangle(if needed) and brush with my denman to get the shedded hairs out.

Last edited:
mysweetevie said:
Does hair length matter with the braidset or twist out? I have layers

No it doesn't matter. It depends on what YOU like. If you do one and it looks okay to you than go for it girlie!!! :lol: :yay:

Onepraying Your hair so gawgeous!! Love the Bantu knots on you!!!!!!! Scared to try myself I think it needs to be longer maybe when I get 2 inches I will try!!!!!!!!!!

Mines last about a good two days, and it seems that the older it gets the better it looks. After day three, the moisture (from the shower, or just humidity) makes my twist out turn into a chucky fro. Its pretty cute.

mysweetevie said:
Does hair length matter with the braidset or twist out? I have layers
I personally think it looks best with layered hair because it can give you a wilder look with all the different lengths and what not. My hair is about 7 inches long and it comes out looking okay :)

I gotta try this braidout again with individuals since I can't do cornrows (My braidouts only look right if I have my mom cornrow my hair and then I unbraid the cornrows).

Next, I'm going to try it the way vangrey does her braidout...just 4 braids. A may or may not leave out some bangs. In the past, I think I've been braiding my braids too tight and I do too many braids. I'm gonna braid them looser so I will have more of a wavy braidout than a crinkly braidout and so my hair will have more length with the braidout.

As a matter of fact, I'm gonna break my bun regime and try it this weekend! :yay:

Last edited:
Poohbear said:
I gotta try this braidout again with individuals since I can't do cornrows (My braidouts only look right if I have my mom cornrow my hair and then I unbraid the cornrows).

Next, I'm going to try it the way vangrey does her braidout...just 4 braids. A may or may not leave out some bangs. In the past, I think I've been braiding my braids too tight and I do too many braids. I'm gonna braid them looser so I will have more of a wavy braidout than a crinkly braidout and so my hair will have more length with the braidout.

As a matter of fact, I'm gonna break my bun regime and try it this weekend! :yay:

PB, make sure you take pics :sekret:

sweetpeadst said:
Onepraying Your hair so gawgeous!! Love the Bantu knots on you!!!!!!! Scared to try myself I think it needs to be longer maybe when I get 2 inches I will try!!!!!!!!!!

Glory! Thanks, you are sweet!

You ought to give it a try. Do it on a real lazy day, that way, if you don't like it you can wash it out. Also, you can always play with it. Use a headband, or clips.

I tried it once b4 the micros. It was horroble on me (but my friends say I am my worst critic I tend to be really hard on myself regarding fair issues)!!!!!!! I will try it again!!!!!!!!!

Back