Braiding with human hair

DragonPearl

Braiding with fake human hair

I am currently wearing cheap $3 a pack Kanekalon hair for my braids, and they sure feel rough. :(

I went to the beauty supply store yesterday, looking for synthethic hair that's softer. I was talking with the owner, and he tells me I need to use human hair. When I told him that wearing human hair freaks me out, he smiled, and told me, like he is sharing a secret with me, that the least expensive so-called human hair that costs $28 a pack is not really human hair, because real human hair would be definitely more expensive.

It makes sense to me. So, I am planning to redo my braids with the $28/pack pseudo "Human Hair" hoping it's going to be softer. But before I spend my moola, has anyone braided with those cheaper fake "Human Hair" and does it really feel softer than cheap kanekalon hair?

Last edited:
Are you getting micros or cornrows. If you are getting micros you should use 100% human hair, and cornrows you can use the Kanekalon hair if you choose. The packets that just say human hair are mixed with synthetic hair as well. Some say and think that braiding with fake hair can break your hair and make ur hair dry. I prefer 100% human hair for micros because its easier to maintain. The synthetic hair seems to get tangled to easily.

Thanks Coco for your advice. I am not getting micros or cornrows. I am using the Crown and Glory method, with individual braids almost the size of a pencil.

The Crown and Glory method recommends to use kanekalon hair, but the stuff is rough.

Did you or anyone notice a difference in the feel of expensive (real) human hair, versus the cheaper (presumably fake human hair) $28 variety?

I agree with CoCoGirl. This summer I got some micro braids with Yaki human hair. It was awful. The hair was fine the first day then it got hard and itchy.
I told my friend who works in a beauty supply store about this and she asked me did the package say "100 percent human hair" or just "human hair". When I told her it just said "human hair" she said that was why because they mix synthetic hair in it.

I told my friend that I thought they had got that hair from the underbelly of a goat or from a gorilla because it felt that bad.

I thought I was getting a bargin a $10 a bundle. I should have known better!!!!!

But when I had my larger individual braids I think I used Toyokalon(sp) and that was fine. I keep them in 3 months with no problems. I was able to wash them and everything.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
LJBFly said:
I agree with CoCoGirl. This summer I got some micro braids with Yaki human hair. It was awful. The hair was fine the first day then it got hard and itchy.
I told my friend who works in a beauty supply store about this and she asked me did the package say "100 percent human hair" or just "human hair". When I told her it just said "human hair" she said that was why because they mix synthetic hair in it.

I told my friend that I thought they had got that hair from the underbelly of a goat or from a gorilla because it felt that bad.

I thought I was getting a bargin a $10 a bundle. I should have known better!!!!!

But when I had my larger individual braids I think I used Toyokalon(sp) and that was fine. I keep them in 3 months with no problems. I was able to wash them and everything.

I hope this helps.

I agree. I use hair that is Toyokalon and it worked just as fine as human hair. The braids will last as long.

My braider discouraged me from getting braids with human hair, especially since I like to wash/rinse my hair so after. She said they slip out much easier than Kanakelon/synthetics (sp?).

LJBFly said:

I hope this helps.

lnhair said:
I agree. I use hair that is Toyokalon and it worked just as fine as human hair. The braids will last as long.

So Toyokalon is a better choice, than Kanekalon, uh? Thanks ladies for your feedback. I knew I could count on my LHCF sisters. :up: I need something other than these stiff braids if I want to last on the braids challenge. Off to the BSS I go!! :driver:

Back