Braid/Twist out maintenance

nita4

Hi Ladies
wave.gif
I am currently wearing my hair in a braidout and want to continue through the summer months.

What I need to know is how those of you who wear braid and/ or twistouts maintain your hair at night and what do you put on it to keep it moist.

Right now I am rinsing nightly, airdrying, applying S-Curl, braiding and adding covered sponge rollers to the ends for curl. Gives me a wonderful textured look with curl.

But, I don't want to do this nightly
ohwell.gif
Three times a week would be sufficient, but I'm afraid that my hair will be a big frizz ball in the morning not to mention tangles.

Does anyone have any good suggestions?
confused.gif

aply olive oil daily, sleep on a satin pillow case leave hair "out" when sleeping, oil in the morning and pouf out to your liking.
I would not use any water based products as i assume it would disrupt the curl formation, any type of oil should do. i had to re-do my twist outs every 3-4 days or 2-3x's a week. and the key to detangling is doing it THOROUGHLY before ou do the braids or twists, also while rinsing out the final condit your should use a comb witrh the force of water. HTH

Hi Nita
wave.gif

When I do twist-outs I always re-twist every night
ohwell.gif
I know it's a pain... I don't rinse my whole head though. I just spray in some activator and a little oil and then twist it up. I have never tried wearing that style for the second day w/o re-twisting... I suppose it could work, but I'd probably end up bumping the ends under with the curling iron to give it a more finished look...

Thanks ladies, I've heard of ladies going 3-4 days, but...I still wondering how. When I see pictures they are using flat twist to texture and then tying up at night to maintain. My hair is feeling to dry even though I used S-curl to braid last night and shea butter this morning. If I use water or a glycerine product my texture doesn't stay and I'm left with a puff. Hummm...
ohwell.gif

A lady in another group had asked a question something like yours and one of the replys were and I quote:

Twist Out Advice from a TwistOut Queen

I feel I am the twistout queen because this is all I wear. I have a little system. First of all my hair is EXTREMELY thick and very long. When I wash it, it shrinks tremendously. So you can imagine my texture. VERY nappy.
Anyway. After I wash my hair I put in Sheamoisture's Sheabutter leave-in conditioner. It's a creamy conditioner that I also put on my hair as a daily hairdress. ( I stopped with the olive oil and went back to my tried and true creamy alternative.) Anyway, I just grab a BIG section of hair, comb out my naps and begin to two-strand twist..I do this all over WITHOUT parting. This takes me 2 and 1/2 hours only. After that my I take those twists and make Bantu knots and wear that style for a week.---Stay with me now....then I take my bantu knots out, as well as the twists and wear this a couple of days in this curly-fat-twist- out-mode. After those two days I make smaller (much smaller) two-strand twists (because now my hair is easier to handle and I have a set of well defined curly twisted hair ( so I just make smaller two-strand twists from those). Wake up, take that out and wear my cute twist out. What I end up having is a very defined twist out that is also curly from the bantu knots that I sported the previous week. I wear this style for another 3 weeks and start all over again. Because my hair is extremely thick...I do my twist out in stages as I described above, but I get to wear the final product for the better part of the month. So for a week it's bantu knots until my hair is dried, settled, defined and easy to handle then I break down into the smaller twists which only takes a 1/2 hour. KEEP IN MIND I AM putting creamy hairdress in for moisture..it sort of acts as a setting lotion to make my twists more defined

I hope this helps
smile.gif

That is an interesting system, but does that mean she only washes her hair once a month???!! (She says she wears the Bantu knots for a week, the twist-out for 3 weeks, then starts all over again)
shocked.gif

Back