Braid Out/Twist Out Wearers - Do your parts show?

Neith

Maybe I have funny, stiff hair or something, but even after I separate my braids my parts show. To get rid of them I massage the roots with my fingers for a while, but sometimes they still want to show.

I don't part carefully either, I just take sections with my fingers.

Do you have this problem? What do you do about your parts?

My parts don't show (my avatar is a braidout done on wet hair) and from what I can see in your siggy, I think it's very possible for you to get your parts hidden well. We all know wet hair braidouts shrink more, but they also give a certain fatness to the hair when they air dry. I've got really thick hair and I'm natural too. I think it's a combination of not using too much product (it makes the hair skinnier), separating the braids and fluffing the hair that helps me hide the parts easily. I will do braidouts on dry hair too, but I still dampen the hair slightly because my hair gets way too flattened with a dry hair braidout and no moisture.

I don't just massage the roots, I fluff my hair, whether it's dry or damp at take down time, because it's usually MOSTLY dry and that's good enough (I'm just more gentle in this case). I don't try to hold on to that perfect definition because my hair's not long enough yet to just take the braids down and shake. My braidouts usually turn out very pretty though. I get more hang with the ones that are done on dry hair and more fullness from the ones done on wet hair and I'm able to hide the parts either way by doing what I mentioned above.

HTH!

After I have untwisted my hair I use a wide tooth comb and lightly pull through the roots o each section to cover up the parts. You have to be careul though so as not to lose the texture at the roots. It works great or me. HTH.

~Marti.

I've a jungle growing ontop of my head - no parts show w/twist or braidouts.

Rollersets however - a different story :ohwell::grin:

You can try taking the balls of your fingers, inserting them near the roots and lightly massage the scalp and root hair to loosen it up but don't overdue it or you might create tangling.

Put a little oil on your finger tips to feed your scalp and give a little slippity slide to the root hair.

Nope mine dont show and I use another mirror so that I can look at the back of my head to make sure I separate the hair. Maybe it could be the products that you use and its making your hair more stiff. I dont use any setting lotion I just use eq mango butter so its soft. :grin:

I fluff, separate and massage to make sure the parts are gone. Humidity and steam get rid of the parts too.

My parts don't show (my avatar is a braidout done on wet hair) and from what I can see in your siggy, I think it's very possible for you to get your parts hidden well. We all know wet hair braidouts shrink more, but they also give a certain fatness to the hair when they air dry. I've got really thick hair and I'm natural too. I think it's a combination of not using too much product (it makes the hair skinnier), separating the braids and fluffing the hair that helps me hide the parts easily. I will do braidouts on dry hair too, but I still dampen the hair slightly because my hair gets way too flattened with a dry hair braidout and no moisture.

I don't just massage the roots, I fluff my hair, whether it's dry or damp at take down time, because it's usually MOSTLY dry and that's good enough (I'm just more gentle in this case). I don't try to hold on to that perfect definition because my hair's not long enough yet to just take the braids down and shake. My braidouts usually turn out very pretty though. I get more hang with the ones that are done on dry hair and more fullness from the ones done on wet hair and I'm able to hide the parts either way by doing what I mentioned above.

HTH!

Thank you! My mostly 4b almost BSL hair has always been too scary for me to do a wet or damp braid out and the dry braid out always looks too stiiff with parts showing. I'm going to try it damp -one day soon. Thanks for the tip.

I wear a bantu knot. My parts dont show because I dont part my hair. I section it with my fingers and the sections aren't perfect little boxes.

I usually do twistouts to blend my new growth with my texlaxed hair. So, I am usually about 5 weeks or more post relaxer, so my thick roots hide any parts that were previouly made. Here's a pic of one that I did a couple of months ago:

Twistout-Oct2008-1.jpg

There is a jungle under there....:yep:

Last edited:
I'm glad to find out that I'm not alone :)

I'll try with the comb tomorrow and see if it works better than my fingers.

I wasn't sure if it was even normal to still see parts, because there are people with jungles on their heads :lol: like lynnie b or prospurr4... but for us normal folk... we may not have the thickness/length to cover them without some extra help.

Back