Braid out breakage...

smwrigh3

Hello Ladies,

So I did my very first braid out this week after my co wash and I took it down before I left for class this morning and hair was coming out in my hands like crazy!!! I was wondering if that is normal or not!

there are the facts...

my hair is nl/sl
I had someone braid my hair b/c I can't braid (my hair was damp)
she used my normal moisturizer and then so some fizz-ezz creme.
she braided my hair into 5 cornrows and then I moisturized my end and sealed with oil wrapped it up and went to bed!

yesterday I left my braids in I just carried around my pro-vitamin leave in conditioner around with me and I think sprayed my hair 2 times through out the day and once before I went to bed moisturize my end and sealed with oil.

this morning i sprayed the leave in and covered my hand in moisturizer before undoing each braid. but I still had an amount of breakage I was not comfortable with..

my roommate says that its normally b/c you lose 1000 strands of hair a day but after being on this forum I know that shedding is ok but breakage isn't, right?

so i guess my question is "is this normal"? :perplexed

i kno for me it is easy to break off while braiding it if your not careful. i make sure its wet, smooth, fully detangled and full of leave in before i start to braid it. it takes more time. Also i think w/ cornrolls its mainipulated more. i usuall have it cornrolled at top only then loose braids hanging all the way around.

i kno for me it is easy to break off while braiding it if your not careful. i make sure its wet, smooth, fully detangled and full of leave in before i start to braid it. it takes more time. Also i think w/ cornrolls its mainipulated more. i usuall have it cornrolled at top only then loose braids hanging all the way around.

Oh ok I will try that next time.. I think I saw Tracyee's video and she did hers like that that but I thought it was just b/c she has long hair! Thanks for your advice and wish me luck on round two!! :yep:

Hello Ladies,

So I did my very first braid out this week after my co wash and I took it down before I left for class this morning and hair was coming out in my hands like crazy!!! I was wondering if that is normal or not!

there are the facts...

my hair is nl/sl
she braided my hair into 5 cornrows and then I moisturized my end and sealed with oil wrapped it up and went to bed!

yesterday I left my braids in I just carried around my pro-vitamin leave in conditioner around with me and I think sprayed my hair 2 times through out the day and once before I went to bed moisturize my end and sealed with oil.

this morning i sprayed the leave in and covered my hand in moisturizer before undoing each braid. but I still had an amount of breakage I was not comfortable with..

my roommate says that its normally b/c you lose 1000 strands of hair a day but after being on this forum I know that shedding is ok but breakage isn't, right?

Was it tight?

my roommate says that its normally b/c you lose 1000 strands of hair a day :perplexed
:o Oh no! 50-100! I hope you typed in that extra zero! :lachen:
Maybe too much manipulation when you braid? Some parts may be weak and braiding and twisting may just give that push for them to break off! I hope you resolve your solution.
~*Janelle~*

Ya, try box braids (like Traycee) instead. I used to do only cornrows and I would get lots of breakage. Once I switched to box, the breakage was minimized dramatically. Also, I try to braid the hair once it's damp, not wet...If I braid on wet hair, it breaks...

My hair cannot handle wet braidouts. I have to have it braided while dry, then spray it with oil and water.

Last edited:
Sorry about the breakage, that may not be attributed to the braids unless they were very tight. Your hair wasn't breaking before the braidouts?
I just did braidouts this week and I had to really be careful with my hair as I was trying to cornrow and not rip my hair.:(

Hello Ladies,

there are the facts...

my hair is nl/sl

Don't cornrow it. Box-braid it yourself. Doesn't even have to be neat. Just take clumps of hair in all zones and braid them in a thicker braid. You shouldn't get much breakage at all. I'm with you, tho. Whenever I had cornrows, taking them down, I got loose hairs. It was done too tightly.

Back