Braid experts help!!! can I add real hair versus kankleon as a protective style?

luckiestdestiny

PLZ forgive typos on my phone as my computer is on the fritz. I usually keep my hair braided up without adding hair as a protective style but have weaved for a change up also. My nat hair is btw waist& hip currently so I am sure I will have to special order for length and texture. I want to add hair that goes past mine by a few inches with braids worn down this time for a change. I want the braids to look really natural. I have fine hair so I think synthetic may rip it to shreds. I only hear about kankleon for braids....anyone ever add real bulk weave? what are the pros & cons for you of it and how long did your style last? Thanks so much! I am hoping to get to my next goal before chopping a few inches. Hoping to get rid of remaining layers from a cut with thining sheers which Ive caught up w exc of a few inches. plz help me get to my goal w no setbcks (see my other thread as I have had health ones and stylist ones. no more!). plz share the good bad and ugly and what to look out for for the best results

okay. yay an answer! Thanks GIJane s. I was always wondering why ppl used synthetic... like maybe there was a reason. plus I read online this person said neveragain because she had to cut it out...in re to human hair. Do you have to follow a different timeline? Like how long did you keep it in? Any tangles or breakage? I have never added hair before when braiding so I want to be extra cautious

Last edited:
Most people use kanekalon or synthetic hair for the price. There is a significant price difference between real hair and fake hair. For the length you are looking at getting the difference in price is going to be in the hundreds. I use either depending on the look I am after or what I am willing to spend. I prefer to use real hair on my head because it is more versatile and can last longer as it can be comed and flat iron once it tangles or frizzes. Also I believe that the kanekalong and rip your hair if it is not strong. I want to add that I have been braiding hair professionally for 15 years.

okay. yay an answer! Thanks GIJane s. I was always wondering why ppl used synthetic... like maybe there was a reason. plus I read online this person said neveragain because she had to cut it out...in re to human hair. Do you have to follow a different timeline? Like how long did you keep it in? Any tangles or breakage? I have never added hair before when braiding so I want to be extra cautious

In addition to price, a lot of people use synthetic because you can get just about any length easily, while human hair longer lengths are not sold everywhere. What's more, some people shudder at the thought of wearing someone else's hair, while others just don't like the idea of wearing hair that may have been acquired at another's expense. (Many in Indians who sell their hair get peanuts for it...while we pay tons for that hair; major exploitation.)

@luckiestdestiny, I use human hair and I do my own braids and I wear them continuously for a year or 2, redoing each braid as needed but never taking them all out. I have been doing this for years so I feel very comfortable doing it. But if you're new to this, I always suggest following the regimen on Robin's webiste: http://www.growafrohairlong.com/braidreg.html and then adapt it as you see fit when you get more comfortable with braid extensions.

I don't get tangles or breakage with braids because I continue my trimming regimen while in them, snipping off a little whenever I redo a braid. So I may rent a movie and then start from back redoing braid at a time, and snipping the end. Because I do this, I don't have to be tied down doing my hair for hours if I don't feel like it. I can stop and continue another time when I feel like it. I can tell the braids I haven't yet got to because the new growth will make the base loose I can complete the dusting and have freshly done braids.

I share more tips of how I'm able to enjoy such long periods of extension braids without damage in this post: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=9337956&postcount=7

(I don't know if I mention this, but contrary to popular belief, I use NO products when in braids. I think this is why my hair doesn't mat and because I baggy nightly and wash/condition/ACV rinse twice a week, my hair doesn't seem to lack in moisture. You can see how easy it is to undo my braids because I don't have any matting/knots. Also when I apply conditioner when I wash my hair, I am careful to skip the inch or so closest to my scalp. So I never have to worry about conditioner residue getting caught in there and creating knots/clumps.)

ETA: Why *I* like human hair is because it's light so doesn't add too much weight to my head which could rip hair off since it'd be hanging from a head not used to carrying so much weight; and I also like that it behaves like hair and I can do practically all the styles we can do to our hair and even use heat without burning it.

Last edited:
Thanks so much cherrette and Nonie. I swear I thought there was something I was missing since very few people talk about it, but it makes sense that Kankleon is used as it's cheaper. I thought there was a secret...like matting issues or something that I was missing:grin:. I can rest my fears now.

I don't mind spending extra especially if it lasts a long time (a year Nonie! I mean it's worth it then price point wise).

Yes Cherrette it's not that my hair isn't strong. It's just that the strands are fine. My hair is dense (tons of strands) but the strands themselves are fine. I don't think anyone could get to longer lengths without having strong strands (maybe I'm wrong?)...at least my thoughts are you have to have healthy strands or else it's split city ville and breakage. BUT still the thin strands make me worry so I now am assured I'll go along with my initial thoughts now that I've heard from you and Nonie on the subject.

I can sigh a little. And off to read Nonie's posts so that I can make sure to have zero damage if possible. Excited!

@luckiestdestiny, yes I make it well worth the money. I paid $95 a piece for water wave 28"-30" length and got two packs so just a little over $200 including tax. (I only needed 1 pack and 1/8 of the second one.) I wore the braids from April 2009 until August 2010. Then just last month Feb 2012 reinstalled the same hair and it still looks fine.

This was in December 2009--nine months after install-- I was having fun with Curlformers--just like one would do with their own hair:

FirstTimeCurlformersonBraids-vi.jpg

So you see, if you maintain the braids by redoing each one as your hair grows, you take the strain off the section that had the braid was starting from and move it to a new stronger new growth section. So you're taking good care of your hair while still looking presentable.

Back