Bra-strap length 4b hair? Anyone?

leia

Hi everyone. I rarely post, but I have an issue... I have been attempting to follow a good hair care regimen since 11/02 and I've seen MAYBE a little improvement and minimal growth at best. I have really COURSE new growth, I think 4b. Are there any relaxed 4b ladies here with bra-strap length hair or more? And if so, what's your regimen?

Thanks in advance.

Check out Adrienne's regime and this thread.

Your hair may not be as coarse as you think. Experiment with different moisturizers. I think MSM and EFA's softened my hair up a lot, too.

Thanks. Adrienne you may be able to answer this, but I thought your hair type is more 3c/4a than a 4b.

Leia, it's possible to have bra-length hair even for type 4 people. Cathy Howse comes to mind and she uses just the methods the people here use. You could visit her website especially the question and answer part and maybe something she mentions might be of help to you. Mufasa (who is my idol) isn't relaxed but has hair if relaxed would probably reach beyond her bra strap. Maybe if you shared what your regimen is right now, people might be able to suggest where you might need to make changes if you feel as if you aren't making much progress.

I am confused with the hair type classifications. There are people that I think are in a certain classifiacation, but you all say they're not. I son't know for sure what I am. My hair is type varies depending on where it grows from my scalp. There have been people that I think have the same type of hair as me saying they are 3b,3c, and 4a. I just don't know. I'm just letting my stuff grow, no matter what it is.

Are there any 4B's who wouldn't mind posting their regimens? I need to learn as much as possible about my hair type.

[ QUOTE ]
I am confused with the hair type classifications... There have been people that I think have the same type of hair as me saying they are 3b,3c, and 4a. I just don't know. I'm just letting my stuff grow, no matter what it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I agree with you. It matters little to me what my hair type is. I dont even know what posses me to respond previously about Adrienn's hair type. I dislike these labels anyway because our hair has sooo many differnt degrees of curls and thickness that make it hard to put in a box. And, I hate boxes.
frown.gif

I think considering types matters most if one's wearing their hair natural because protective buns and such may not be so easy to for type 4 people; and also hair responds differently to maintaining certain styles when worn in its natural state, so in that case it helps to know which hair you have and to know someone with beautiful healthy hair as a source of encouragement and/or advice. Also many of us were brainwashed into believing grease was great for our hair and for me, I know it just sat on top of my TWA and received as much dust as possible - the result, a nice layer of gunk; while my friend's hair would respond better. I don't think I understood or realized that one needs to truly moisturizing the strands, until later in life. Granted the types may not be accurate and it's hard to pinpoint to the third decimal
laugh.gif
which type you are. But I think I'd have given up on ever having long hair, thinking one had to be born with straighter hair to experience that privilege, if I didn't know at least someone with my type of hair (or close) enjoying that blessing. And so the existence of "TYPES" helps me get a good picture of where people started from to get to where they are...Therefore an idea of what I too can achieve.

I agree totally with Nonie. It's important for me to know when/if I am listening to another 4a/b because then I know the person truly understands my that my hair breaks easy, that it's thick/bulky but fragile and sorry to say, but sometimes nappy. So hair types, though only about 75% accurate, help alot

There's a memeber by the name of Faith that has, I think 4b natural hair. Her hair is at the bottom of her bra strap...
Also, den1 has 4a/b hair that's super thick and LONG... it's almost to her waist... Maybe you could PM them and ask for help...

Thanks everyone. I have just found that with 4b relaxed hair, there is SUCH a difference between the new growth and the the relaxed hair that it is sometimes hard to control breakage. I've tried motions CPR, Aphogee (the stinky treatment), Motions oil protien, ORS hair mayo and not much has really given me enough strength to combat breakage and thinning ends, which I think is my main problem acheiving growth.

Hi Leia, this is my exact problem, all this breakage no matter what protein treatment I try. It's why I have to deceide once and for all -- do I get my touch-ups every six weeks or try to stretch it out more. Thankfully I have a stylist who applies relaxer to my new growth only and thanks to this board I do have a lot of new growth. The only time there is no hair in my comb is the first three weeks after my touch-up. The next three I can work with by being gentle, after that it gets crazy.
One good thing I am able to do is to keep my new growth pretty soft with castor and coconut oil, however that works only up to six weeks.

I agree with all you ladies. I even have a worse time because I'm in thE transitioning stages and it is so hard for me to control breakage. Right now I'm trYing to find a solution to the problem. What I found that really works for me is using the ORGANIC rOOT sTIMULATOR carrot oil. It's great for hair growth and split ends. Since I have 4b hair thats very very thick then its really hard. This weekend I plan on getting some braid take-down so my my wont be so damaged when I take m braids out. On www.growafrohairlong.com Robin I think has 4a/b hair and she's grown it to waist length. I wonder how I can get in touch with her.... hmmmmm.....
oh well

Leia, I'm sorry you're experiencing breakage. It can definitely be a frustrating experience. I noticed that you listed mostly protein conditioners as a remedy for controlling breakage. You might think of switching to moisturizing conditioners instead. Although I don't have 4b hair, I don't feel like there is *that* much difference b/t 3c and 4b. I am now 17 weeks post-relaxer touchup and I find that as I accumulate more virgin growth, significantly increasing the moisture level in my hair decreases the breakage factor between my new growth and relaxed hair.

I'm definitely not saying that you should stretch beyond six weeks because everyone's waiting time is different. However, this may help to minimize your breakage between touchups.

I spray my hair at least once a day with distilled water and seal it in with leave-in combo of Infusium 23 (not everyone has a good experience with this), L'Oreal Unfrizz Taming Creme and WGO. Whatever leavein works for you is fine, just remember to use something to seal in the moisture from the distilled water. I also like Clairol Herbal Essence's Fruit Fusions Hydrating Conditioner as an inexpensive, moisturizing conditioner. Try experimenting to see which moisturizing conditioners work for you.

HTH and good luck!

[ QUOTE ]
Leia, I'm sorry you're experiencing breakage. It can definitely be a frustrating experience. I noticed that you listed mostly protein conditioners as a remedy for controlling breakage. You might think of switching to moisturizing conditioners instead. Although I don't have 4b hair, I don't feel like there is *that* much difference b/t 3c and 4b.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is such a difference in a 3C and a 4B. Not saying that your advice isn't valid, but there is a huge difference in texture that would make some things much harder/different for a 3C and a 4B. For instance you say [ QUOTE ]
I am now 17 weeks post-relaxer touchup and I find that as I accumulate more virgin growth, significantly increasing the moisture level in my hair decreases the breakage factor between my new growth and relaxed hair.

[/ QUOTE ] I know that for most 4Bs 17 weeks post relaxer can be detrimental to their hair, no matter what mositurizing shampoo/conditioner/oil they used.

I know that their are probably a lot more different hair categories than Andre's but it helps to know if the advice you're getting is from someone who's hair is very similar to your hair texture.

Ms. Kenesha, I never said that there wasn't a difference between a 3c and a 4b. In my opinion, with respect to how fragile the hair is and the need to add moisture, the two types have similar concerns.

Perhaps you did not read the part of my post that said:

I'm definitely not saying that you should stretch beyond six weeks because everyone's waiting time is different. However, this may help to minimize your breakage between touchups. "This" meaning = adding moisture.

With respect to whether someone labels their hair in the exact same category as mine, I have not found it to be a guarantee *at all* that what worked for them will work for me. For example, some 3c's adore Pantene Smooth & Sleek. It did nothing for my hair. That's why I chose to share in the post above yours what *I* use while encouraging Leia to find products that work for her hair. Jade21 is a Type 2 but I find her product recommendations suit my hair, every time. Adrienne is a Type 4 and I have found her advice to be immensely helpful as well.

I stand by my advice: Leia, if your hair is breaking and you're still using protein conditioners, try switching to products that moisturize and will help you control your new growth between your touchups.

Well I have some sections that are 2a and 4a but the vast majority of my hair is 4b. I know that you can wait a while with 4b hair. The first time I dyed my hair I was so scared of it falling out that I waited 12 weeks before I got a relaxer. The key is quality moisturizing conditioners. Protein is important too but with 4b hair moisture is always important. What I used at that time was a pre copndition with Dark and Lovely Dry hair healer (with heat) washed with Nioxin 2c shampoo and conditioned with Nioxin Structure and Strength (with heat) and rollerset. I wore my hair out because ponytails/buns give me a headache, but whenever I was home I kept it covered with a scarf. If it wasn't for fear of my hair falling out I wouldn't have ever thought I could have gone beyond 6 weeks either. I think the key is finding what works for you, unfortunately that is easier said than done.
smile.gif

Well I think that the key is probably moisture. I would try to use more moisturizing conditioners closer to touchup time, especially with slip so that the hair will be soft and supple. However, if you are insistent on using protein conditioner, then you shoudl definitely follow up with the most moisturizing conditioner you can find.

I don't know what type of hair I have by the way BUT I do major protein treatments the week before and the week after a relaxer and they are always followed by a deep moisturizing conditioner.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ms. Kenesha, I never said that there wasn't a difference between a 3c and a 4b. In my opinion, with respect to how fragile the hair is and the need to add moisture, the two types have similar concerns.

Perhaps you did not read the part of my post that said:

I'm definitely not saying that you should stretch beyond six weeks because everyone's waiting time is different. However, this may help to minimize your breakage between touchups. "This" meaning = adding moisture.

With respect to whether someone labels their hair in the exact same category as mine, I have not found it to be a guarantee *at all* that what worked for them will work for me. For example, some 3c's adore Pantene Smooth & Sleek. It did nothing for my hair. That's why I chose to share in the post above yours what *I* use while encouraging Leia to find products that work for her hair. Jade21 is a Type 2 but I find her product recommendations suit my hair, every time. Adrienne is a Type 4 and I have found her advice to be immensely helpful as well.

I stand by my advice: Leia, if your hair is breaking and you're still using protein conditioners, try switching to products that moisturize and will help you control your new growth between your touchups.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't trying to be snarky, I just think that like some have said it's valid to listen to people who have a very similar hair type to yours. I know that we have varying textures not even listed by Andre and that what one 3 says works for them may not work for another 3 and what one 4 says works may not work for another 4. I am saying that I've found the most helpful advice from fellow 4s but there is advice from 1s-3s that I've been able to use.

I did note that you said don't wait longer just to say that you did. I wasn't attacking you just putting in my 2 cents.

Peace
smile.gif

Ok, thanks for clearing that up.
smile.gif
We can agree to disagree.
smile.gif
I saw the posts re: hair types and styling. I agree "types," as frustratingly inaccurate as they can be, help in terms of styling. My understanding, though, is that 4b is the driest of all hair types. Regardless of my hair type, the advice regarding increasing moisture is valid. I hope that if/when I post a hair problem on the board, all types will feel free to offer solutions.

Peace to you too, Ms. Kenesha
smile.gif

I consider my hair to be 5C. Every stylist I have ever had had made the comment 'this is the most coarse hair I have ever seen" My hair is not as dense as I would like it to be, but a strand of it looks like wire. When pressed or flat ironed people think I have on weave or a wig. So it terms of getting it to grow, I had no faith at all...because it is extremely dry and often brittle.

What I did to turn it around was #1 I found this board.

From here I learned to take MSM, biotin and several other vitamins (Bargello routine), then I started to use Wild growth oil, and do frequent washings. I changed to lye relaxers, first Motions (once) now Affirm.

Now I use S-Curl, WGO, Adrienne's ponytail method and daily or at least every other day rinses. Overall my hair has changed in texture drastically, my natural ponytail went from 1 inch in November of 2002, to currently 7 inches. I also take Vitamin B to thicken it up. One day I will get up the nerve to post all my before and during and now pics, I take them but I just need to get the nerve to show.

I most definatley have 4a nearly 4b hair, and my hair never eva seemed to grow. Then i became a recent product junkie thanks to the forum, and found elasta qp. Although it left my hair feeling soft and moisturised, i kept trying new products and wasting money.

Now iv'e just stuck to it, and my hair is now 18 nearly 19 inches, i thinks this is my longest ever as an adult, im not too sure about when i was younger.

I so happy that my hair has grown and i think its down to washing my hair every 3days, and twisting it after washing and wearing until my next wash.

I have never relaxed my hair, and in a way, im glad, because now i know how to manage my natural hair.

I think that 4a/4b hair is very dry so the more moisture the better, and the more you leave it alone the less breakage, meaning retaining length. I think the heating appliances help to dry out your hair even more so leave them alone, if not use them less frequently.

Elasta qp creme conditioning shampoo
Elasta qp intense
Profectivs 60 strengthener
S-curl activator sof n free
Profectivs break free
Organics root stimulator twist and lock gel

Hey Eliza,

Congrats on your success. I use affirm too (texturizer) and have never liked no-lye. My question is what kind of rinse do you use and do you make it yourself?

Thanks,

Ahosi

ladymarmalade I agree when you say: I think that 4a/4b hair is very dry so the more moisture the better, and the more you leave it alone the less breakage, meaning retaining length. I think the heating appliances help to dry out your hair even more so leave them alone, if not use them less frequently.
smile.gif
smile.gif

I preach this everytime someone asks how to stretch their relaxer time. I have a variety of moisturizers I use from the time I touch up my hair to when my new growth gets really thick and close to 10 weeks. My average wait time is 10-12 weeks and the longest I've ever gone is 16 weeks.

I use the following to add moisture...

ORS Carrot Oil
WGO
KeraCare's leave in conditioner
Luster's Moisturizing Scalp Spray
QP Elasta Recovery leave in moisturizer (just bought this one)

The lightest one on my list is the ORS Carrot oil. This is what I use the first few weeks after my relaxer. As I get more new growth I need thicker moisturizers so I gradually start using the others.

My hair isn't bra strap length (not a goal of mine), but it has been growing incredibly well since I've realized that moisture is the key!
smile.gif

Back