Bouncier Hair

vtoodler

How do I make my hair bouncier?

I read somewhere that lye relaxers help make hair bouncier? Is that true?

And what products/styling techniques do you use to get bouncier hair?

I use a steamer and I believe that makes a HUGE difference.

I don't use as much product when flat-ironing and that helps. I used to use too much heat protectant before and realized I didn't need that much.

I airdry and I get way more bounce than blow drying. After washing I apply a light mist of CHI Keratin Mist and then a dime size of CHI Silk Infusion and let it airdry. Then I flat-iron with IC Fantasia heat protectant.

I just relaxed last night and flat-ironed this morning and I have bounce out of this world right now.:yep:

ETA: I use ORS no-lye relaxer

**make sure the hair is super clean - no conditioner residue
**cool water final rinse
**use 1/4 of the amount of product you generally use ie. leave-in, sprays, balms, etc.
**hair ends are in good condition (hair will not move if the ends are knotted, frayed, broken - get a trim)
**Rollerset and tap roots w/a flatiron for volume
**Flatiron w/little and I mean a few drops if necessary of heat protectant.

- as you can see, the theme of this is to keep the hand light when it comes to product usage, clean hair and a good trim.

Super clean hair, little to no product on the hair, nice ends, and roller wraps work wonders.

And technique will take you very far. All the things listed in this thread will get you nowhere if you don't have the technique down.

Make sure you do not have build-up on the hair or scalp and avoid the use of too many products; the more products, the more weighed down.

Mane & Tail Conditioner.

I use this and get bounce out of this world. My hair moves!

Now I must say, before this board, when I used to be relaxed, my hair would just be stick still if I moved my head to the left, it stuck out behind me (not shaking) but just standing there. So I have seen the worst of non-moving hair.

Now I'm TEXlaxed, with Lye relaxer (Mizani) and I try to use MINIMAL product, rinse really really well with cold water (for shine) and then I personally need to blow dry on medium heat, but really well. Meaning that I detangle like normal and then as I blow dry I make sure that the hair strands are getting straight enough, not just dry.

The hair should shake blow dried. IF it does, then I almost ALWAYS get a shaky flat iron after that.

Use the tiniest amount of product needed to heat protect your hair. But DO protect your hair.

I also use a light Cherry Almond Oil (from Sally's) AFTER I flat iron, this gives me shine and does not take away the bounce factor.

I hope this helps! Oh and yes, your ends need to be fabulous for great shake and bounce. The ends are the weight that moves the hair back and forth - or that's how I see it. Flyaway ends don't move, chunky ends move.

I think you can get bouncy hair with any hair style you do. I always focus on making my hair bouncy whatever style I do - roller set, flat iron or braid out - and my hair always is. I've found that using the right product in small amounts and keeping it simple works. My staple brands are Kera Care and Paul Mitchell. PM gives major bouncy, grassy hair! Especially the PM Super Skinny Serum. You can't go wrong it! But like I said use your styling products in small quantities or you'll just weigh your hair down and kill the bounce.

**make sure the hair is super clean - no conditioner residue
**cool water final rinse
**use 1/4 of the amount of product you generally use ie. leave-in, sprays, balms, etc.
**hair ends are in good condition (hair will not move if the ends are knotted, frayed, broken - get a trim)
**Rollerset and tap roots w/a flatiron for volume
**Flatiron w/little and I mean a few drops if necessary of heat protectant.

- as you can see, the theme of this is to keep the hand light when it comes to product usage, clean hair and a good trim.

The bolded makes a HUGE difference. I trimmed my hair and I couldn't believe how much added bounce I had.

Like most replies mentioned, the less product the better. I'm not sure about the "lye" relaxer myth or not..... I always use no lye. Layers also help give hair movement and swing as opposed to one length hair. Stay away from products that are too oily, or sticky...... the most simple thing to do would be to wash and condition your hair, and after rinsing out the conditioner, take some apple cider vinegar (preferably organic) and dilute it with distilled water (regular water is fine too) pour it on your hair after the conditioner is rinsed out, massage it into your scalp and ends, leave on for about 3 minutes and rinse with cool water..... spray on a leave in conditioner( nothing heavy), wrap your hair wet and let it air dry, once it dries you can flat iron it for extra smoothness. Your hair should feel really clean and light with movement afterwards...... mine does.

i use a hot comb and pressing oil to straighten my hair which (for now) is the only way i can get my hair to have enough weight to hang downwards and still swing and bounce as i move. i am light handed with the pressing oil. i cant seem to get away using a drop of serum on ultra clean hair.

i may be repeating what a lot of ppl have already said (i havent read all of the responses)..... but here are a few tricks i use to get my bouncy hair. My friends call to me "big hair" by the way lol....

- when i was permed, my hair was always flat. usually rollers and then a wrap would do the trick to make my hair fluffy. try rolling your hair at night with SATIN rollers and wrap it as soon as u wake up. allow it to stay wrapped while u are preparing for your day. before u wrap it, a little oil sheen wont hurt.... but only a little! this is to keep it from looking dull and puffy...

-now that im natural, my problem is getting my hair "less" bouncy :yep:..... but usually i just flat iron my hair with lit products to protect it. make sure u kind of curl your ends... it creates a really pretty look when u unwrap your hair or fluffing it out with your hands. layers make it really easy to get that bouncy look too.

natural hair kind of have this bouncy thing going on anyway... well mines do.... but like everyone said... little product is the key, but use some so your hair wont look dry!..... i didnt know if u were natural or permed, so hopefully this helps!.... i just took the title of this post and ran with it :lol::look:

Back