Bootleg Oil infusion...will this work?

Lava27

I've been reading various information about oil infusions and I noticed that many infuse herbs in a jar with a crockpot, or in the sun over time. I was attempting to make hibiscus oil and I have hibiscus powder and cheesecloth. If I just warm the oil in a regular pot on the stove on a very low temp, with the hibiscus powder in it for a couple of hours and then just strain the mixture through the cheesecloth to get the powder out, will this work as well as the crockpot method???

I don't see why not, but I also don't think that you need to do is for a couple of hours? WHat do you want to use the oil for?

I figure at least an hour will be needed for the hibiscus powder to steep into the oil, since I plan on straining all of the powder out of the oil when it's done. I want to use it as a scalp and hair oil, because I've read that hibiscus oil is very softening.

I have tried to make an coconut oil infusion with powders (amla, brahmi) before and it went horribly :nono:

I tried to strained the infusion with a nylon pantyhose, it looked like the powder was straining, and the oil seemed ok, but then later when the coconut oil solidified, i could see that a lot of powder was still in the oil.

Im not sure if using cheesecloth is any better because I haven't used any...i'd love to hear from someone who has experience with both......:look:

I have tried to make an coconut oil infusion with powders (amla, brahmi) before and it went horribly :nono:

I tried to strained the infusion with a nylon pantyhose, it looked like the powder was straining, and the oil seemed ok, but then later when the coconut oil solidified, i could see that a lot of powder was still in the oil.

Im not sure if using cheesecloth is any better because I haven't used any...i'd love to hear from someone who has experience with both......:look:
I made shikakai oil and used cheesecloth...it was messy and I need to get a funnel, lol. But I think for the most part, it worked. I just had to double it up. I would be so much easier to put the cheesecloth in the bottom of a funnel and do it that way.

To the OP, as for the pot on the stove, I'd be worried about it getting too hot or scorching. If you're going to do it that way you will need to use a double boiler method. Or you can get a potpourri simmering pot. I posted in another thread, I found a ceramic one for $9.99 from WalMart, back in the crafts section where they sell potpourri. Perfect amount of heat and it held about a cup or oil (a little more than that, actually). I was able to let it infuse for 4-6 hours and not have to worry about it burning or anything.

THanks for replies ladies....I'll let you know how it turns out!! (PS. doubling the cheesecloth seems like a great idea :) )

Back