BODIpHIER - Natural straightner....

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
....any users?

I don't understand how this product is straightening w/o chemicals. Is the chem. hidden in some technical word I don't know? Here are the stats:

A natural hair relaxer that adds body and manageability. Great for relaxing or straightening all types of naturally curly hair regardless of ethnic background!

One application kit contains: 8oz bodipHier; 2oz shampoo; 2oz conditioner; 1/2oz blow-drying oil and instruction sheet.

Ingredients:
Purified Alkaline Water,
100% Natural Soda Ash & Minerals,
100% Natural Citric,
100% Natural Menthol,
Cetyl Wax,
Emulsifying Wax,
Petrolatum,
Mineral Oil,
Lanotrol,
Volpo 10,
Methyl Paraben,
Propyl Paraben,
100% Natural protein Powder,
Shea Butter,
100% Natural Protein Oil,
100% Natural Soy Bean Oil,
Fragrance.

This what they say:
Fresh Look BodipHier is a healthy alternative to chemical hair relaxers. It penetrates into the hair without changing its natural texture, and permanently softens the bonds inside the hair without breaking them. Softening the bonds of hair causes the natural curl pattern to elongate or loosen making hair straighter. When you want to have really straight hair, you can blow dry hair with a comb attachment. Then use a flat iron or thermal press after BodipHier has been applied and your hair will be smooth and straight. Since the bonds were softened, hair does not revert back the way that natural hair does. Hair is silky, soft, manageable and full of body.

Last edited:
One Praying, this is the relaxer that I live by!! I buy it for myself, my sister, & my friends (the shipping is the same for one or several kits). I just adore this product. I can wear my hair as wash n wear or blow dry/flat iron smooth. It stays frizz free, straight/smooth, and silky.

Now, if you want a relaxer that leaves your hair stick straight with absolutely no curl or life in it then do not even try this product. If you like curly hair, but would like the option of going straight then give it a try. No burning, itching, irritation, breaking, damage, or odor.

After I shampoo out the product (no need for a neutralizing shampoo either) I am left with softer more elongated curls, but not a drastic change. What I really love about the product is that I don't have to deal with frizz even in humidity or rain. Oh, and depending on length you'll get several applications out of one kit. I believe that for the price and opportunity to have humidity resistant hair without damage this is the best product I have found.

ravensunshine- how offen do you have to redo it?? and can you stop when ever you want or will you have to go and transition?

this sounds real interesting!

tia!!!

naturaline said:
ravensunshine- how offen do you have to redo it?? and can you stop when ever you want or will you have to go and transition?

this sounds real interesting!

tia!!!

I'd like to know this too. Thanks for the review raven.

I'm really trying to understand HOW this product is "straightening" the hair w/o chem. I mean, how permanent is it?

I may have to look each ingredient up.

It may be more natural than other relaxers, but it says it 'softens' the bonds...?
I don't see how a bond can be 'softened'. Only 'weakened' or 'broken'.
I think if you wanted to stop using this you would have to transition just like with other relaxers.
But maybe someone who has used this will know more about it.

This is from the website:

The active ingredient in theFRESH LOOK HAIR BODIpHIER is alkaline water, which penetrates into the hair without destroying the outer layer (the cuticle) and permanently softens the bonds inside the hair without breaking them. Softening the bonds of hair causes the natural curl pattern to elongate or loosen, making hair straighter.

Anything that "permanently" does anything to the hair translates to "chemical" in my book. You would need to retouch to maintain and transition if you wanted to go back to natural hair.

Okay, I'm no chemist, but here's what I think is the deal.

The "alkaline" water is what softens the bonds. Alkaline is another way of saying "base" (the opposite being an acid). What this means is there is a very high Ph. (acid, on the other hand, is a very low, or zero, Ph.) Pure water has a Ph of around 7. As an example, a very high Ph is something like liquid drain cleaner. A very low Ph is like battery acid. It all has to do with the concetration of of hydrogen ions.

Like a regular lye relaxer, which is alkaline, the alkaline water will have a similar effect (though much less because it's a weaker solution).

So don't be fooled that this product says "all natural". Acids & bases occur in nature all the time. YOU ARE STILL CHEMICALLY ALTERING THE STATE OF THE HAIR'S BONDS. Think of it as a super, super light texturizer.

And, yes, you will have to grow this stuff out. It's permanent.

However, if you are happy with it and it's giving you the flexibility you want, great! Just remember that it is a chemical process the same as a regular relaxer.

Hope the helps & HHG!

A

Thanks ladies....:kiss:

I know people who want to grow out their relaxer but they really desire straight hair w/o the chemicals...I trying to gather info and inquire myself. However, I DON'T want to permanently change the texture of my hair.

Last edited:
PerfectDoak said:
It may be more natural than other relaxers, but it says it 'softens' the bonds...?
I don't see how a bond can be 'softened'. Only 'weakened' or 'broken'.
I think if you wanted to stop using this you would have to transition just like with other relaxers.
But maybe someone who has used this will know more about it.

ITA. :yep:

I'm no expert on this either, but if you are looking to not permanently alter your hair then I wouldn't go this route. The words “natural” and “relaxer” are mutually exclusive. How do you "soften" a bond? Going back to college Chem 101, it doesn't make any sense. It just sounds like a texturizer. Here's my take . . .

Chemical bonds cannot be softened. Broken and rearranged, maybe but not softened. To "soften", loosen, or weaken a bond, would still require that something be chemically broken inside. This is no different from the process by which relaxers and texturizers work. Permanently "softening" a bond is the code word for "breaking" the bonds responsible for your curl pattern. I guess the difference is whether you want to break, well "soften" the bonds chemically or naturally as they say. Either way, the bonds are permanently broken and a chemical process would still be taking place at some point in order for this to happen. If you wanted to go natural, you would have to grow this out.

You'd probably receive the same effect if you applied a mild relaxer for a couple of minutes and didn't "smooth" it. Remember, the chemicals present in relaxers do not themselves straighten your hair. Relaxers just open the shaft --via their alkaline formulation--and break, weaken, loosen, "soften" (or whichever you prefer:lol: ) the bonds so that they can be manipulated. It is the physical process of smoothing that is actually responsible for arranging the broken bonds into a looser, straighter shape. To me, this product sounds like a relaxer without the smoothing step. JMO.:lol:

I think that soda ash is the same thing lye soap was made out of back when people made their own. It sounds like lye to me.

naturaline said:
iv been lookin at the curlaway- it looks real interesting!
but i cant find where i can order to ship to the uk..

http://www.xenna.com/product_curlaway.html

Wow that does look interesting...I'm scared because I remember that "Rio" incident about the "natural" relaxer......months later people were complaining that their hair fell out. Thank goodness I was too young to order it!!!

Nita81 said:
Wow that does look interesting...I'm scared because I remember that "Rio" incident about the "natural" relaxer......months later people were complaining that their hair fell out. Thank goodness I was too young to order it!!!
yeah! 4real- thanks for the advise!!

Ok, ladies.. I feel ya on the chemical issue and I have wondered about it myself, but after having used this product for two + years. I haven't had any problems and have even pushed it to the limits. If you leave it in longer there aren't any problems, your hair won't even get straighter. I use it about every 6-8 weeks, I had been doing it more often (every 4-6 weeks) but wanted to see what would happen if I stretched.

I do notice that by stretching applications my hair is more curly/frizzy- like how it would be without the bodiphier after about five weeks. So, as for it being perminent, I wouldn't say that. I also used to use Rio, this isn't anything like it. Rio made my hair imperveous to rain, water, humidity, it was also very dry. I remember being able to literally stand in the rain, not a down pour, but a good rain & it would take a bit before my hair would begin to revert. So, I'm sure that Rio coated the hair.

The Bodiphier on the other hand will really help to counter humidity and light rain, but not like Rio did. It makes blow drying easier and faster. But when I wear it curly there really isn't much change from before using the product, some curl elongation that diminshes over the weeks, and it is less frizzy. I have used regular relaxers, and texturizers in the past, this bodiphier product isn't anywhere near like those were. This will only straighten (more like smooth) the hair so much, no matter how much or how often you apply.

I have fine hair and when I used a texturizer or relaxer, my hair was even more fine, especially the first week or so. I couldn't wait a little bit of new growth so it wouldn't seem to thin. It hasn't ever irritated my skin, you don't need gloves when applying, you don't have to worry about perfectly timing it- if you go over the 20 mins no big deal. I've even left it on up to 40 mins, no difference.

What I can't comment on is how the hair turns out if you apply a regular relaxer over this product. Online it says there isn't a problem bc its so mild there probably wouldn't be, but I have no experience with this.

I read about Curlaway some time ago, but it was more expensive primarily bc you had to use more often (daily as a leave in conditioner)and I thought why mess with a good thing.

Now all things are technically chemicals (i.e., salt is sodium), but I guess its a matter of how strong of a chemical you are willing to use. I had a terrible reaction to an (unbenounced to me) outdated regular strength relaxer 10+ yrs ago and swore off "chemicals."

So, all these yrs later I took a chance on this product. Yep it reeled me in bc of the "chemical free" advertizing. Its mild enough for me to continue feeling safe using it and reccomending it. I wouldn't eat it (like salt haha)but I haven't had any bad reactions, and I couldn't ever say that about relaxers or texturizers. They nearly always burned, itched, needed to be applied with gloves, scalp needed to be based, smelled bad, expired, made my scalp seep, broke my hair, turned my hair red/ copper, and always had to be timed. When my hair fell out from the expired relaxer was when I had to stop the harsh chemicals and take inventory and responsibility for what I put on my hair. Ths works for me, but it may not be for everybody. I was just letting the ladies know that there was at least one person on the board who uses this product and was happy with it. There are other women on here too who use it...I wonder where they are hmmm...

Queenie said:
I think that soda ash is the same thing lye soap was made out of back when people made their own. It sounds like lye to me.
I was just about to comment on the soda ash. It is an alkali and is used in water treatment, food processing, glass manufacturing, etc. Here, "natural" doesn't equal gentle. I would take the same precautions with this relaxer as any other.

Good luck!

Queenie said:
I'd love that curlaway too. I was just thinking about this last night!
do you think your going to get it?
i dont think i am. the price for shipping is an issue (im a poor student haha)

ravensunshine said:
Ok, ladies.. I feel ya on the chemical issue and I have wondered about it myself, but after having used this product for two + years. I haven't had any problems and have even pushed it to the limits. If you leave it in longer there aren't any problems, your hair won't even get straighter. I use it about every 6-8 weeks, I had been doing it more often (every 4-6 weeks) but wanted to see what would happen if I stretched.

I do notice that by stretching applications my hair is more curly/frizzy- like how it would be without the bodiphier after about five weeks. So, as for it being perminent, I wouldn't say that. I also used to use Rio, this isn't anything like it. Rio made my hair imperveous to rain, water, humidity, it was also very dry. I remember being able to literally stand in the rain, not a down pour, but a good rain & it would take a bit before my hair would begin to revert. So, I'm sure that Rio coated the hair.

The Bodiphier on the other hand will really help to counter humidity and light rain, but not like Rio did. It makes blow drying easier and faster. But when I wear it curly there really isn't much change from before using the product, some curl elongation that diminshes over the weeks, and it is less frizzy. I have used regular relaxers, and texturizers in the past, this bodiphier product isn't anywhere near like those were. This will only straighten (more like smooth) the hair so much, no matter how much or how often you apply.

I have fine hair and when I used a texturizer or relaxer, my hair was even more fine, especially the first week or so. I couldn't wait a little bit of new growth so it wouldn't seem to thin. It hasn't ever irritated my skin, you don't need gloves when applying, you don't have to worry about perfectly timing it- if you go over the 20 mins no big deal. I've even left it on up to 40 mins, no difference.

What I can't comment on is how the hair turns out if you apply a regular relaxer over this product. Online it says there isn't a problem bc its so mild there probably wouldn't be, but I have no experience with this.

I read about Curlaway some time ago, but it was more expensive primarily bc you had to use more often (daily as a leave in conditioner)and I thought why mess with a good thing.

Now all things are technically chemicals (i.e., salt is sodium), but I guess its a matter of how strong of a chemical you are willing to use. I had a terrible reaction to an (unbenounced to me) outdated regular strength relaxer 10+ yrs ago and swore off "chemicals."

So, all these yrs later I took a chance on this product. Yep it reeled me in bc of the "chemical free" advertizing. Its mild enough for me to continue feeling safe using it and reccomending it. I wouldn't eat it (like salt haha)but I haven't had any bad reactions, and I couldn't ever say that about relaxers or texturizers. They nearly always burned, itched, needed to be applied with gloves, scalp needed to be based, smelled bad, expired, made my scalp seep, broke my hair, turned my hair red/ copper, and always had to be timed. When my hair fell out from the expired relaxer was when I had to stop the harsh chemicals and take inventory and responsibility for what I put on my hair. Ths works for me, but it may not be for everybody. I was just letting the ladies know that there was at least one person on the board who uses this product and was happy with it. There are other women on here too who use it...I wonder where they are hmmm...
Hey Raven, thanks so much for the post.

I am really learning a lot from you guys.

Are you saying that if you wanted to stop using the Bodipher, you could with no difference, no change? Do you, personally, smooth the product on or just simply apply it like one would apply a moisturizer? Can it be considered temporary according to your experience?

Thanks for you help in this

~op~

Last edited:
naturaline said:
do you think your going to get it?
i dont think i am. the price for shipping is an issue (im a poor student haha)

No, I just saw the post from the lady who said it deintergrated her hair. :eek: But I was looking at the ingredients and the active ingredient seems to be acetic acid. So I remembered that coconut milk and lime does the same thing, but it won't get your hair bone straight. I will try a couple of overnight treaments of that and see where it gets me. I'll wait for the weather to warm up a bit first, I think.

Hi OnePraying,
In my experience (& after doing my sister's hair too, and another friend's) the hair will eventually be just as it was without the product. On two of us I do touch ups on the new growth. After several months though I need to pull it through as the longer (older) hair has begun to revert to its pre-Bodiphier days.
On my sister, we keep her hair very short (kind of like a fade), so I do her entire length of hair each time I appl the products (about every 2-3 months).
She is mentally retarded and can not speak, but loves having her hair done! I say this only bc I wouldn't put something in her hair that I didn't know to be extremely gentle bc she can't tell me that it's burning, itching, or what ever. Bc she has her hair trimmed often there is very little overlapping of the product. I comb the product through her hair to make it smoooth,and leave it for the time of 25 mins. On the occasion that she doesn't have her hair trimmed, within a month or so, her hair is like I never put anything in it.
For the rest of us as I said I apply to the new growth only - most of the time- and comb this portion smooth. When I put it through the entire length of hair, I don't bother to comb it through I just comb the new growth and use my hands to smooth it through the length of hair. So yes, I definitely believe this product is temporary. At least it has been on the three different heads that I have been applying it to. It will take about five/six weeks, but the hair will return to its pre application state.

Queenie said:
No, I just saw the post from the lady who said it deintergrated her hair. :eek: But I was looking at the ingredients and the active ingredient seems to be acetic acid. So I remembered that coconut milk and lime does the same thing, but it won't get your hair bone straight. I will try a couple of overnight treaments of that and see where it gets me. I'll wait for the weather to warm up a bit first, I think.

What the heck does that mean?:confused:

I was unfortunate enough to fall for the curlaway natural relaxer line. It literally ate a section of my hair away. :mad: I got a refund from the company, but it took almost a year for my hair to grow out. I'm just telling my story to warn others to be careful. It may not affect everyone the same way, so I hope this clarifies the misunderstanding. It wasn't the Bodiphier, but it was the Curlaway product that did me in. :blush:

DDtexlaxd said:
I was unfortunate enough to fall for the curlaway natural relaxer line. It literally ate a section of my hair away. :mad: I got a refund from the company, but it took almost a year for my hair to grow out. I'm just telling my story to warn others to be careful. It may not affect everyone the same way, so I hope this clarifies the misunderstanding. It wasn't the Bodiphier, but it was the Curlaway product that did me in. :blush:

Wow. It deintergrated your hair? :eek:

No but seriously, that's messed up. Did it happen gradually or all at once as soon as you used it? Did you use it more than once? Did it come out at the root or break off? That's scary.

I had it in my hair for 15 minutes. When I washed it out, my hair went with it.:mad: I lost 7" of hair and had to have the other side cut so it wouldn't look stupid. Come to think of it, I've tried all the natural relaxers and ended up with damaged hair every time. Copa, Rio, CurlAway, the Naturalaxer...all caused damage to my hair. I'm hoping that noone else repeats my mistakes.:ohwell:

DDtexlaxd said:
I had it in my hair for 15 minutes. When I washed it out, my hair went with it.:mad: I lost 7" of hair and had to have the other side cut so it wouldn't look stupid. Come to think of it, I've tried all the natural relaxers and ended up with damaged hair every time. Copa, Rio, CurlAway, the Naturalaxer...all caused damage to my hair. I'm hoping that noone else repeats my mistakes.:ohwell:

Wow. Sounds like the same thing that happened to me many years ago with a Super TCB relaxer. It fell out at the roots though. I tried that Naturalaxer once a few years ago. Besides making my hair super dry and brittle I don't even remember what it did. I definately didn't have the wash n go I was expecting I remember that much :lol: Luckily I was able to baby it back into shape.

Back