Blue's Megatek/Braid/Protein Misadventure

Bluetopia

So recently I was on the boards talking to other folks who are applying Megatek on their braids about how fabulous the growth was. 6 weeks of braids looked like they'd been in my head for mooooonths because of (i assume) my regimen of applying Megatek with olive and coconut oil to my hair every Mon, Wed and Friday.

Well yesterday I looked in the mirror and realized 7 weeks was enough because my hair looked unkept and disorderly :nono:

So I sat in front of the tv and preceeded to watch a bunch of stuff on my Dvr while I took my braids out. I very carefully detangled and applied Cantu strengthening shea butter and my trusty coconut/olive oil mix to every strand.

When I was done I had a super soft head of puffy hair and could tell it had grown. So all was well.....UNTIL I WASHED MY HAIR THE NEXT DAY :wallbash:

All those weeks of protein, all that shea butter.... it all resulted in protein overload and my hair began to stick together in stiff, thick, dreadloc like clumps.

My Quemet's Alma & Olive Heavy cream - didn't work
My Kinky Curly - Knot Today detangler - didn't work
My Cantu Leave in conditioner - didn't work
My Taliah Waajid Protective Mist....can you guess?

DIDNT WORK

Even EVOO didnt work.

This is when I realized that protein was the culprit and had flashbacks of just yesterday when we'd all been discussing Ateeyah's braid detangling debacle and how she'd had to cut whole clumps of hair out her head. I had those same clumps...but unlike her I'D detangled thoroughly before washed..this wasnt supposed to happen to me :ohwell:

An hour and an emergency phone call to my stylist later I found myself at the Aveda salon having some young wash girl rub Aveda Damage Remedy into my hair and praying for a miracle.

It took hours...and a bit of pain to get the clumps out and my hair blowdried.

I feel worn out and exhausted but grateful nonetheless.

My hair is tired too.

I still cant believe the excessive shedding I experienced. Even for 7 weeks of braiding it seemed like too much and I'd been taking garlic pills to stop that very thing from happening.

Caution ladies : BE WARY OF PROTEIN OVERLOAD!!! IT IS THE DEBIL.

My hair is too weak and dry to get braids again for at least another 3 or 4 months.

I've decided to instead get my hair texturized with Phyto in 2 weeks, and then do rollersets and deep conditioners until my folicles feel healthy and moisturized. MOISTURE is now my biggest concern. Because what's the point of being 3 inches from APL if your mane is thin, dry and brittle? :rolleyes:

I'm gonna stop using Megatek except for maybe on my temples - and start taking Phyto Cap'Energy pills as my new growth aid.

Has anyone else been through this?

Any tips for moisture and/or NON TOPICAL growth aids would be much appreciated.

Times like this I thank goodness I have super loyal, resilient 4b hair because for all it's been through these last few months I'm blessed that I even have any hair to speak of :look:

This happened to me, thats why I no longer use mega tek, only for a treatment once in a while but no longer while im in braids. I shed alot and lost many inches. My hair got thin and I had to cut it.

oh no!!!!! :perplexed

i'll stop now. will def start popping phyto cap'energy vits and garlic pills. cant afford any more shedding.

surely someone has bounced back from a protein overload mishap?

Op, I'm sorry that this happened to you. I'm curious though, how often were you washing your hair? I don't have braids but knowing that MT can cause protein overload I always wash with shampoo to clean my scalp and steam/DC twice a week, which you probably couldn't do without the braids slipping out, right?

Wow I am sorry this happened to you. I used MegaTek almost everyday the 5 weeks I had braids. I didn't go any longer due to the growth, however I washed once a week to keep the buildup at a minimal.

sorry to hear what happened to you, i only use mega tek as per the instructions on the bottle, i still like it. i guess we can all learn from this.

Op, I'm sorry that this happened to you. I'm curious though, how often were you washing your hair? I don't have braids but knowing that MT can cause protein overload I always wash with shampoo to clean my scalp and steam/DC twice a week, which you probably couldn't do without the braids slipping out, right?

I washed my hair with a spray bottle of diluted dandruff shampoo every 2 weeks. My scalp never itched because of that. But now Im thinking maybe I should have also used a spray bottle of diluted conditioner as well for moisture?

I thought all that coconut oil i was applying was enough - obviously not.

Next time I braid and use megatek I will only apply it when I know I can wash it out in the next day or so....and I will also use a deep conditioner. Only problem is that means I wont even be able to keep braids in for more than a month. So is it even worth it?n

i used an OCT/ MN mix for 11 weeks with braids I didnt have any of this. Just buildup that I expected at the base of the braid which wasnt even that much of a problem. I washed my hair with degunkify by HE or suave's clarifying poo like every 2 weeks or so. I also sprayed my roots with a mixture of scurl and infusium's moisturologie every time before I applied the oct/ mn mix and sometimes sealed with castor oil. that must have been the difference! I was like wow none of this happened. I guess that's the diff. They are proteins you should prolly spray your whole braid and especially the roots with a moisturizing spray when using them.

Glad it all worked out in the end.

I'm a bit confused as to the connection between the topical protein 'overload' and shedding ... Please enlighten me.

i used an OCT/ MN mix for 11 weeks with braids I didnt have any of this. Just buildup that I expected at the base of the braid which wasnt even that much of a problem. I washed my hair with degunkify by HE or suave's clarifying poo like every 2 weeks or so. I also sprayed my roots with a mixture of scurl and infusium's moisturologie every time before I applied the oct/ mn mix and sometimes sealed with castor oil. that must have been the difference! I was like wow none of this happened. I guess that's the diff. They are proteins you should prolly spray your whole braid and especially the roots with a moisturizing spray when using them.

I always sprayed and sealed with oil too. The only thing you did I that I didnt is the clarifying poo. I only used anti-dandruff shampoo. But other than that our regimens seem almost indentical. I think my hair just needed more moisture and less protein. Because even when I used Megatek sans braids, it always made my hair a bit stiff.

Glad it all worked out in the end.

I'm a bit confused as to the connection between the topical protein 'overload' and shedding ... Please enlighten me.

Folks who use Megatek warned of protein causing shedding. Protein is a strengthener and according to my stylist if your hair isnt adequately moisturized it will shed like mad.

I was told taking garlic pills would help but obviously I should have started taking them well before the braids and was def not taking them regularly during the braids.

Basically if you have dry/moisture hungry hair like mine you had no business doing what I did. Im working hard to stop beating myself up over this and learn from it.

Gonna do a search and see if theres anyone on any previous threads with advice on how to bounce back.

Sorry for your mishap. I too had to give up on...well...I was using Ovation, same thing I think. It was too much for me. But if you're looking for moisture, I highly recommend Ojon's pre-shampoo treatment. It works great for me and a lot of people on this board. Good luck!

Were you applying the MT to the Scalp only or to the length of your Hair? I know my Hair would Never be able to take MT on the length,:nono: that's why I apply to Scalp only. And you can't use a lot of it either.

And even aplying just to scalp, I have to Moisturize my Hair to the 'nth degree. And, I have to Clarify to remove buildup at least twice a month.

One thing about MT, You have to keep your Hair Moisturized all the time. Because it is very drying. It will Suck the Moisture Right out of Your Hair.:look:

You possibly could have used a Waterbased Creamy Moisturizer (or even water and something) and Sealed with the Cantu or the Shea. But when using MT, you have to get Moisture on your Hair by Any Means Neccessary.:yep:

Sorry this happened to you, but how did the Damage Remedy help with protein overload? Isn't that a protein as well? Just curious, since I use MT/OCT with my sew-ins.

Folks who use Megatek warned of protein causing shedding. Protein is a strengthener and according to my stylist if your hair isnt adequately moisturized it will shed like mad.

I was told taking garlic pills would help but obviously I should have started taking them well before the braids and was def not taking them regularly during the braids.

Basically if you have dry/moisture hungry hair like mine you had no business doing what I did. Im working hard to stop beating myself up over this and learn from it.

Gonna do a search and see if theres anyone on any previous threads with advice on how to bounce back.

I suspect that this whole shedding thing from mega-tek may be due to one of the other ingredients.

I just don't see how applying keratin your skin/scalp, has anything to do with dry hair and then cause shedding. I can understand protein overload and breakage.

I suspect that this whole shedding thing from mega-tek may be due to one of the other ingredients.

I just don't see how applying keratin your skin/scalp, has anything to do with dry hair and then cause shedding. I can understand protein overload and breakage.

im confused. i didnt mention anything about keratin. i dont even know what that is lol :look:

is that an ingredient in something i mentioned?

I washed my hair with a spray bottle of diluted dandruff shampoo every 2 weeks. My scalp never itched because of that. But now Im thinking maybe I should have also used a spray bottle of diluted conditioner as well for moisture?

I thought all that coconut oil i was applying was enough - obviously not.

Next time I braid and use megatek I will only apply it when I know I can wash it out in the next day or so....and I will also use a deep conditioner. Only problem is that means I wont even be able to keep braids in for more than a month. So is it even worth it?n

I use megatek once a week. But I leave it in for 10 minutes after I shampoo. Then I follow with a deep condition. 3 times/ week and only washing every couple of weeks just seems too much. Good luck. But don't abandon protein! Balance is everything.

Sorry for your mishap. I too had to give up on...well...I was using Ovation, same thing I think. It was too much for me. But if you're looking for moisture, I highly recommend Ojon's pre-shampoo treatment. It works great for me and a lot of people on this board. Good luck!

Thanks for the tip. Im going to look that up!

Were you applying the MT to the Scalp only or to the length of your Hair? I know my Hair would Never be able to take MT on the length,:nono: that's why I apply to Scalp only. And you can't use a lot of it either.

And even aplying just to scalp, I have to Moisturize my Hair to the 'nth degree. And, I have to Clarify to remove buildup at least twice a month.

One thing about MT, You have to keep your Hair Moisturized all the time. Because it is very drying. It will Suck the Moisture Right out of Your Hair.:look:

You possibly could have used a Waterbased Creamy Moisturizer (or even water and something) and Sealed with the Cantu or the Shea. But when using MT, you have to get Moisture on your Hair by Any Means Neccessary.:yep:

I was putting it on the scalp between braids....but the tip of my applicator was hella big and I was heavy handed with it and i know that some of it got on the length of my hair while i masage it in. And since I only washed ever other week that leaves two weeks of MT in my hair at a stretch....yikes! In retrospect I shudder to think how much worse things could have been.

Sorry this happened to you, but how did the Damage Remedy help with protein overload? Isn't that a protein as well? Just curious, since I use MT/OCT with my sew-ins.

I'm not sure the damage remedy did much...but I slapped globs of Olive oil cholesterol in my hair and threw on a shower cap before heading to the salon just to stop the hair from clumping together any more. My stylist uses damage remedy for me as a default so thats the only reason they used it.

:look: didn't mean to confuse you. Keratin is the protein in Megatek.

Oh I didn't know that. Thank you! I'm learning so much from you guys :grin:

You did waaaay too much. www.growafrohairlong.com. You don't put oil on braids because you are just asking for matting. If I remember correctly, coconut oil has protein in it.

Oil = matting in braids? Coconut oil has protein.:blush: Jeez louise!

The thing is a lot of braided MT followers seemed to be doing the same regimen. Didnt realize id been applying that much pro.

I'm going to avoid protein (except for my stylist's damage remedy) for the next 3 or 4 months...and in the fall when my hair is better moisturized and balanced - I may attempt to do a quick rinse of megatek (rinsed out after 2 minutes and followed by tons of moisture) once or twice a month and see if I get a better reaction.

If I can pull that off successful then I'll keep it up because I loved my growth. If I get another dubious reaction....MT and I will have to break up permanently. :ohwell:

In the meantime my focus has now shifted to supplements. :lick:

Back