Blowry vs. Hood Dryer

LadyCee

What the difference? Which is better? Doesnt the hood dryer still apply heat to ur hair whch in turn is just like the blow dry im not sure. if not can u use the hood dryer w/e u want like with rollers or even with em why or why not?

The idea is that the hood dryer produces indirect (diffused) heated air that circulates all over the head, and blow dryer is considered direct heated air pointed straight at the hair. Either way IMO the temp of the heat should be low to prevent damage (and also use a heat protectant prior to use). But most ppl would say that the hood dryer is safer to use and is less likely to cause damage. I guess if you had to choose a lesser of 2 evils, go w/the hood dryer.

ETA: IMO the damage that comes from the blow dryer is not the appliance itself, but the person using it. If the dryer is 6-12 inches away from the hair and at a low temp, it shouldn't cause damage. The hood dryer I guess lowers the potential of damage in the way the appliance is constructed (Like how diffusers are built).

Hope I made a little bit of sense :look:

Last edited:
I have been using the hood dryer quite continuously (once or twice a week) since I was 6 years old. I never felt any bad effect on my hair.
The only interruption was for 2 years when I completed my education. During that period, I blowdried regularly and this is the period where my hair was in relatively poor condition.
I resumed rollersetting and hooddrying after I got married and my hair is today - I am 24 - again in a very good condition.
But I do not know if my personal experience can be extrapolated. My hair has always been healthy and easy to manage

IMHO, the hooded dryer diffuses the air around your head, drying the hair in a less damaging way than blasting it with heat like the blowdryer does. Plus, with a blowdryer, you're usually combing it through as well. Less manipulation while wet means less breakage from my experience.

I agree with the other ladies who mentioned the even distribution of heat in the hooded dryers. Also some hooded dryers 'claim' to have good conditioning properties by distributing IONIC heat, which is suppose to be healthier than the standard hood dryers. I've owned a Gold N Hot in the past, I didn't use it often but when I did, good lordy, I'd need to be under there 2 hours or more to get it completely dry. I have the hot pink Ion Hood Dryer now and not only do my rollersets and ends of hair come out smooth and shiny it dries much faster than the standard heat dryers.

SvelteVelvet said:
I agree with the other ladies who mentioned the even distribution of heat in the hooded dryers. Also some hooded dryers 'claim' to have good conditioning properties by distributing IONIC heat, which is suppose to be healthier than the standard hood dryers. I've owned a Gold N Hot in the past, I didn't use it often but when I did, good lordy, I'd need to be under there 2 hours or more to get it completely dry. I have the hot pink Ion Hood Dryer now and not only do my rollersets and ends of hair come out smooth and shiny it dries much faster than the standard heat dryers.

could you post a picture of the hot pink dryer?

april shower said:
could you post a picture of the hot pink dryer?

I got mine from Sally's. My hair dries faster with it than with my hairdressers when I was going to her. Also, I believe I can feel and see the conditioning properties it professes to give.

303079.jpg

Hard bonnet dryer with ion output. Three ion outlets distribute negatively charged ions evenly while drying. Ion conditioning and fast drying help accelerate process and drying time.
Continuous ion output helps condition hair shaft while drying and processing
Folds down for easy transport and storage
Adjustable height for drying versatility
3 heat and cool settings for different treatments and drying needs

Usage Tips
Ideal for any kind of color processing, conditioning treatments and setting styles.

Do you still need to use heat protectant when under a hooded dryer, or will serum do the job?Is it necessary to use both a serum and a heat protectant?

metalkitty said:
Do you still need to use heat protectant when under a hooded dryer, or will serum do the job?Is it necessary to use both a serum and a heat protectant?

I don't think you need it with the hooded dryer since the heat is not going directly on your hair.

Back