Blowdrying wet hair

Britt

I cannot roller set my hair if my life depended on it. I would like to wash my hair myself at home but I cannot achieve the sleek look that the salon gives me with a rollerset. I know lots of people who blow dry and then bump with a curling iron. Is thier any GOOD protectant that I can put on my wet hair to prevent the splint ends and damaged hair from doing this???? I am really afraid because everyone's hair is not the same and just because their hair didnt break does not guarantee that my hair will not break. Anyway, I just would like to take the extra precaution and protect the ends of my hair. Any ideas???

i don't think you have to worry about blowdrying your hair if you only do it every now and then.
the protectant i really like is african pride heat protectant. it's a spray and it's not the best smell but your hair won't smell like it once it's dry. i don't know your hair type. mine is 3b/c and when i blow dry i use a big round brush. while my hair is damp i use l'oreal smooth and intense serum on it. then i blowdry section by section and spray the heat protectant on each section prior to blowdrying. this protectant leaves my hair silky and not weighed down. although it's only a spray it does a real good job. i'm glad i found it. if you have any more questions just let me know and pm me.
take care,
nay.

I use the Keracare Leave In as my heat protectant. The bottle says it's good for that, but I comb my hair in the direction I want to style it (part wise) and dry under a hooded dryer until it's 95% dry and then I bump with a jumbo curling iron on a medium heat setting.

HTH
ms_kenesha
smile.gif

I use Biosynthesis Phinish (excellent) and Design Essentials Therapy RX Leave in for protection.

I also use a seperate brush (no attachment) it allows me to control the intensity of the heat on my hair from the blow dryer. Regular trims and deep conditioning, and no more than once a week, you should be ok.

I have always heard that you should never blowdry relaxed hair wet, you should let it dry some until it is damp. Your hair is weakest when it is wet and blowdrying from wet to dry is damaging.

Also, although blowdrying with a brush gives good results, I heard that it stretches your hair and it to is a no no on relaxed hair. If your hair isn't relaxed it is o.k.

When I blowdry or get my hair blown dry at a salon, it is done on damp hair with a comb attachment.

Make sure you don't try to blowdry your whole head at once. You will just become frustrated and cause a lot of damage. Part in sections and do a section at a time. Don't hold the blowdryer over a section for too long it will scorch you hair. Instead run the blowdryer up and down the hair so it can dry evenly. I like to add a light oil to my ends so they won't get overly dry.

[ QUOTE ]
I have always heard that you should never blowdry relaxed hair wet, you should let it dry some until it is damp. Your hair is weakest when it is wet and blowdrying from wet to dry is damaging.

Also, although blowdrying with a brush gives good results, I heard that it stretches your hair and it to is a no no on relaxed hair. If your hair isn't relaxed it is o.k.

When I blowdry or get my hair blown dry at a salon, it is done on damp hair with a comb attachment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think using that comb attachment does more damage than using a brush separately.

When you use a brush you are using it on wet hair, and wet relaxed hair should not be brushed when it is wet, it's done though for a lot of styles but, throw in a blow dryer with that, with long term use it isn't a good idea.

The comb attachment isn't the best thing in the world either but, compared to brushing wet . . .

For me, using the attached comb does more damage. I think because you are raking the comb through the hair and there isn't enough heat/tension to dry my hair straight, my hair comes out kinda frizzy. When I use a brush, I can control the tension on my hair as well as control how close the dryer is to me hair. When I use a brush my hair comes out straighter and a lot less frizzy. After blowdrying I will either roll the ends or bump with curling iron/flat iron. Also, when I use the comb attachment I get all kinds of little broken hairs all over my bathroom, with the brush there is significantly less (plus I keep track of broken hairs in the brush).

shanda michelle
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think using that comb attachment does more damage than using a brush separately.

[/ QUOTE ]

of course you never blowdry or brush WET hair. that's a no no no matter what the hair type is.
you should always let your hair dry a little in a towel prior to detangling it with a comb. i usually let it dry first in a towel so the towel can get all the excess water out of my hair. then i put it in a bun so the front can dry straight. then i blowdry the rest of the hair.

[ QUOTE ]
For me, using the attached comb does more damage. I think because you are raking the comb through the hair and there isn't enough heat/tension to dry my hair straight, my hair comes out kinda frizzy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to tear out my hair a lot with the comb attachment for my old hair dryer. But then I purchased a new ion dryer from Sally’s and it came with a new comb attachment as well as a concentrator. I tried the comb attachment only because I haven’t got the hang of using a brush yet. Anyway with the new comb attachment I didn’t loose a single hair! I realized it’s because the comb on my old hair dryer is full of seams and points and jagged edges, while the new comb attachment has smooth teeth, rounded ends and no seams at all. The teeth are also wide spaced just like my favorite regular comb. Don’t know why this didn’t dawn on me before – that the old comb attachment was bad for the same reason that other types of combs are bad – seams and jagged edges. Using the new comb with the new dryer – which I love – worked out great for me.

I still want to learn how to use a brush because while the comb gets it detangled, I know I could get a smoother result if I were able to use the brush. Has anyone tried out the round ceramic brushes? I think they’re supposed to be ion charged too. I’ve seen them at Sally’s but haven’t purchased one because I’m a little afraid of how stiff the bristles are. But then again, I suppose they have to be stiff in order to get the job done – right?

I don't think anyone is talking about using brushes with boar bristles or anything. At least I'm not. I'm talking about rubber/plastic brushes with wide spaced plastic/rubber bristles. This should be similar to using a seamless comb. If the hair is relaxed with elasticity left, blow drying with this type of brush shouldn't be a problem and the amount of tension is controllable.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think anyone is talking about using brushes with boar bristles or anything. At least I'm not. I'm talking about rubber/plastic brushes with wide spaced plastic/rubber bristles. This should be similar to using a seamless comb. If the hair is relaxed with elasticity left, blow drying with this type of brush shouldn't be a problem and the amount of tension is controllable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, now I'm a little confused. I thought the kind of brush you used to blowdry your hair was the "boar bristle" kind. So I looked at Sally Beauty Supply and found all sorts of different types of vent brushes - some with the boar bristles, and some without.

I'm thinking about this one :
301208.jpg
the Ion Anti Frizz Straight Ionic Straightening Vent Brush
or the
345660.jpg
Jilbere de Paris Thermal Fusion Paddle Brush

Which one do you think would be better? I like that these are paddle brushes but not too wide. I'm not skilled enough to work a round brush yet.

All those brushes looks scary 2 me .... like they'd wreck havoc on my hair! I use brushes like those only on wigs, weaves and phony tails ...

I don't know the kind of brushes used on weaves and phony tails, but the kind of brush that I use, I believe is used on wigs. They have the little balls on the end of the 'bristles', which are smooth plastic. I can't tell by the pictures on Sally's website if any of those look like what I'm talking about. I didn't see mine on there.

This is close to what I use, except mine is a little smaller and round, and the bristles are plastic. I can't tell if the bristles in that picture are wire or plastic.:
about-wigs_1744_7751525.jpg

Back