Blow out roots?

nisha2004

Guys is it safe to just blow out your roots after a roller set. I see ppl doing this, but isn't this also damaging to the hair. Is is it not that bad since your not blowdrying the length of the hair. Thanx guys.

it's safe and nondamaging when using a heat protectant, done in moderation, keep the dryer moving and turn heat down.

Blowing out the roots is less damaging, as you are not using the heat on the ends, which are the oldest parts of your hair and more susceptible to damage. IMO using the blowdryer on the hair (even on the entire length) does not have to be damaging at all, provided you have a working knowledge of the blowdryer and what you are looking for in using the appliance. A hooded dryer can be just as damaging if it is set on high and then you sit under it for 2-3 hrs; if you are blowing out the roots w/the blowdryer and use the med/high speed, but medium temp, you can safely achieve the result you want (as you have the dryer blowing the hair very briefly). Most stylists who blow dry a client's hair from wet will set the dryer on hot heat and low speeds to get the hair damp, and then apply the concentration nozzle and move to a higher speed and lower heat temp to shape the hair, followed by a cold shot. Flat irons can also be used on the roots, if the blowdryer is not preferred, but it should only be used at a moderate temp, never a smoking temp. I have a Solia, and have never gone above 300 degrees, and it gets my new growth STRAIGHT. Also keep in mind that appliances that utilize ceramic and tourmaline heat are ideal, as they produce even heat and keep more moisture in the hair while styling...they also are a source of infrared heat, which is helpful in destroying bacteria that can damage the hair shaft. If someone damages their hair using heat from these sources, it is usu. due to technique, not the appliance itself. And of course, using a heat protectant prior to the use of any appliance is always best :)

HTH

Back