Blow drying and Maxiglide/flat iron is it bad??

hottopic

Ok. I Don't post often, but this question I have to know....I plan to blow dry and use maxiglide once a week. Do you think it will damage my hair. The reason why I asked, is because last year I used direct heat maybe 4 or 5 times. I believe this is what helped me grow my hair. However, I want to stretch to maybe 4 months. The only way I see me doing it is by using heat every week or keeping it in braids and weave. I did this method last year and I am bored of it. I want to leave my hair down this year. It's pretty. Do you think I can do it? Does anyone else wash, blow dry then maxiglide/or flat iron. And was able to stretch?

I think it's too much heat and you'll damage your hair. When I stretch my relaxers (I usually start a month after my last one), I cut out all heat as to not damage my new growth. I stretched for 5 1/2 months w/ no heat, and it was super hard (and I don't think I'll do it again), but it was possible.

Hi
I never post either...I think I've posted once but anyway, I blow dry my hair and use my Maxiglide once a week. My hair isn't anymore damaged because of this. I usually use the Maxiglide on 4 or 5. I don't use the blow dryer on my hair until it is almost completely dry and try to manipulate my hair as little as possible. Basically I just blow dry to get it completely dry and smooth it out a little bit. I do this in sections using a wide tooth comb. I tried air drying and then flat ironing but it seemed like I had more breakage.
Hope this helps!
btw I relax every ~10 weeks but I think I'm going to try to go longer

I don't have a relaxer but I think that's a whole lotta heat and unless your hair is really resilient, it's going to get damaged over time. I'm natural and I stress about doing using the maxiglide once every 2 months but everyone is different.

hottopic said:
If I mess up my hair...it's your guys fault...I am bumping.........

Girl, you a mess...:lol:

You can always just do the roots/newgrowth. Blow them out using the blowdryer and then flatiron(fi) them. You can even get the roots pretty straight with just the blowdryer sometimes. When using the FI, do a light pressing that will blend the textures just enough. Make sure you use a good heat protectant and try to stretch the heat usage b/w two weeks.

When the newgrowth starts showing signs of reversion, switch up on styles. I'm having great success with making individual twists and bantu knotting them. The curly results I get from this, masks the newgrowth very well....The styles last a couple days then you have to retwist, which is okay. I'm about 48 weeks post relaxer!

hth!

hottopic said:
Ok. I Don't post often, but this question I have to know....I plan to blow dry and use maxiglide once a week. Do you think it will damage my hair. The reason why I asked, is because last year I used direct heat maybe 4 or 5 times. I believe this is what helped me grow my hair. However, I want to stretch to maybe 4 months. The only way I see me doing it is by using heat every week or keeping it in braids and weave. I did this method last year and I am bored of it. I want to leave my hair down this year. It's pretty. Do you think I can do it? Does anyone else wash, blow dry then maxiglide/or flat iron. And was able to stretch?

Hottopic, I don't think you should do it. I am speaking from experience, though, I didn't use a maxiglide....but, a couple years ago, I thinned out my thriving hair because I fell in love with the way it looked when it was blown dry and flatironed out. It's too much direct heat IMHO. Why don't you experiment with rollersets? I would hate for you to lose hair or thin your hair after all the progress you have achieved from the previous year. You don't like buns? You didn't mention them. There are plenty of protective styles that will help your hair continue to thrive and you will be glad you did it when summertime comes and you are flinging your THICK HEALTHY hair in the WIND! ;)

You guys are right. Why mess up a good thing....but you know when you get tired of doing the same thing over and over again. That's where I am at right now. I try to stretch but I could never make it pass 3 months. After that forget it, because I would have a war on my hands. I am going to see if I can make it up to 3 months again without heat, then after that airdry and use maxiglide on my roots. I think that might work. Thank God I have thick hair, a blessing and a curse at the same time.

I rollerset and flat iron once every 2 weeks with no ill effects. Maybe you should try that instead as the blower is harsher on my hair than the hooded dryer.

Back