Blow dryer vs. flat iron: which one is better?

mscounselor

I've been reading alot about ladies using blow dryers to straighten their natural hair and also about the wonders of flat irons. Has anyone tried both and prefers one over the other? I have 4 something-ish hair.

I haven't blowed dried (with comb attachment) nor have I used a flat iron.... however, If I had to pick, I'll prolly use the blow dryer over the flat iron (especially since I keep reading about member's heat damage :( ). I just don't know how I'm gonna get the dryer's "combs" through my hair without breakage... :ohwell:

I like the "Wanakee method." Check out hairoil.com under "styling."
Basically, you divide the hair into eight sections. Take one section at a time and detangle, then hold the ends of the hair taut (sp?) and run the blowdryer up and down the section. After all sections are dry, flat iron to get it really straight. This way your not getting breakage by running a comb or brush thru your hair while blowdrying. You also keep the ends hidden in your hand so they don't dry out.

Peachtree said:
I haven't blowed dried (with comb attachment) nor have I used a flat iron.... however, If I had to pick, I'll prolly use the blow dryer over the flat iron (especially since I keep reading about member's heat damage :( ). I just don't know how I'm gonna get the dryer's "combs" through my hair without breakage... :ohwell:

Using a heat protectant and some oil, I blow dry my hair using a nylon brush. I don't get any breakage at all and I'm transitioning!

I section in fours. Starting with one section, I part and using the attachment that directs the air in one place, I pull the brush through my hair just enough to pull to about 2 inches of the roots and concentrate on this section first for a few seconds, then I take the brush out and do it again, gradually, slowly working my way down the hair length. I use a very gentle hand. I never drag the brush through my entire length.. :nono:

hth somebody.

~op~

mscounselor said:
I've been reading alot about ladies using blow dryers to straighten their natural hair and also about the wonders of flat irons. Has anyone tried both and prefers one over the other? I have 4 something-ish hair.

It all depends on your hair's texture, how straight you want it, how hot the blow dryer is and your technique. Some ladies can really get their hair straight, like, relaxer straight with a blow dryer. I know that Skeegeesmb could get her natural hair straight with a curling iron!

When I'm not looking for bone straight hair, I blow dry(not often though). It gets pretty straight using a brush with the dryer. When I want it straighter for a certain style, I may come back later and use a warm flat iron (on my roots) for a smoother finish.

I've washed and then flatironed my daughter's natural 4 a/b hair without blowdrying. It was fuller, but more time consuming. I used the blow dryer only on numerous occassions. It wasn't as straight as the flatiron, but I was able to give her full ponytails and cute braid styles that showed her length.

~op~

Wow I was going to post on this same topic!

One praying - What heat protectant do you use ? Also do you straighten your hair while it's wet (after washing) or when it's dry ? And how do you get to the roots ? Does the blowdrying get those hairs or the flat iron ?

Thanks!!

Hi! :wave:

One praying - What heat protectant do you use ?
Ion makes a good one. You can find this in Sally's. It's called Ion Heat Protectant. I've also used Soft 'n Beautiful Heat Protectant Leave-in Conditioner. Thermasilk makes great heat activated products. Be careful, I hear it does such a fabulous job leaving hair so smooth, silky and swangin' that you can become a "heat-aholic" :grin:

Also do you straighten your hair while it's wet (after washing) or when it's dry ? Usually I'll let my hair or my daughter's hair airdry one day then come back and flatiron/press within the next few days. There are, supposedly some wet/dry flatiron. I just don't trust that though...

And how do you get to the roots ? Does the blowdrying get those hairs or the flat iron ? Both the blow dryer and flat iron get the roots. I concentrate on the roots while blow drying. The brush really helps in straightening. Here are my blow dry pics My nape is very kinky. I was able to get it really straight! If I want super straight and smooth roots, I come behind the blow dry and use a flatiron on the roots only. Especially since I sweat in my head alot. In fact, the pic in my siggie is blowdried and flatironed.

Thanks!!

No problem, hth!

caligirl said:
Basically, you divide the hair into eight sections. Take one section at a time and detangle, then hold the ends of the hair taut (sp?) and run the blowdryer up and down the section. After all sections are dry, flat iron to get it really straight. This way your not getting breakage by running a comb or brush thru your hair while blowdrying. You also keep the ends hidden in your hand so they don't dry out.

This is exactly what I do when I straighten my hair! :yep:

caligirl said:
Thanks!! I'll check this out so I'll be prepared when the twists come out.
MsC

Hello Ladies,
My vote is with SerinityBreeze- the flat iron. At least the wet to dry flt iron. I like Tourmaline T3. But at least a good ceramic wet to dry flat iron. It's designed to allow excess water to evaporate off the hair's surface while sealing in needed moisture into the hair shaft. It has cut my drying and styling time down to 1/3 of what it used to be. I use on towel dried hair, small sections, with heat protectant (Chi)-Sally's Generic brand. I dry and style in two swipes of the iron. My hair is even smoother and shinier than blow drying.

caligirl said:

oh crap! this is how I have been blow drying my hair. Glad it works.

Back