Black Rose Henna??

yodie

Called one of my local markets to look for indigo. I'm waiting for a shipment to arrive, but in case it doesn't, I need a backup.

One of my local stores carries Black Rose Henna. It's for dying the hair black. Went online. Here's a link.

http://www.hennaexports.com/hair-dyes.html
Site says it has some chemical to it. I definitely don't want any chemicals, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Anyone have experience/knowledge of this?
Pros? Cons?

Thanks.

Never heard of it. Is it BAQ?

Don't think so. Think I'll pass on this. Seems like none of the local stores carry or have even heard of indigo powder.

Just found the following statement on hennaforhair:

Posted by Catherine Cartwright-Jones on January 23, 2005 at 09:51:08:
In reply to: Re: black henna posted by Imke on January 23, 2005 at 09:17:46:
: i used black rose kalimehandi or slt i got i from the store i work and
: my boss bought it in pakistan i believe

That brand is full of PPD! .... there's little if any henna in it! You
have a permanent dye there and it would take a professional beautician
to strip it out there.

Here's more info I took from hennaforhair.com

Some boxes of "black henna" are real indigo. Some boxes are cellulostic material and PPD, para-phenylenediamine, a hazardous aniline (coal tar) dye. If you open a box of "black henna" that is indigo, you'll see green powder that smells like frozen peas. If you mix that with water, you'll see a blue glaze form on the surface after a while. If you plop some wet indigo powder on paper or cotton, blue dye will leak out. Indigo hair dye looks like what you see above (check www.hennaforhair.com to see pic). This indigo is from Mehandi. Other people in the "suppliers" listings have real indigo for hair, too.

If you open a box of "black henna" or "black mehndi" and the powder is brownish black or black, it probably has PPD in it. If you mix it with water, blackish brown liquid will leak out. That stuff is not henna. It's not indigo. It's chemicals and it may hurt you.

Last edited:
http://thebeautypot.com/blackrosehennamehndipowderhairdyeblack-p-354.html

That page has the ingredients.

Ingredients: Herbal Henna, Barium Peroxide, Citric Acid, Paraphenylenediamine.

Paraphenylenediamine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-Phenylenediamine
Uses

This product is added to real henna to create so called "Black Henna," which, in many cases, causes allergic reaction, and can cause scarring in some people. PPD should never be applied directly to the skin in its pure form or mixed with anything else.[1]

This compound is used in almost every hair dye on the market, regardless of brand. The darker the colour, usually, the higher the concentrations. Some of the so-called "natural" and "herbal" hair colours, while ammonia-free, contain PPD. Some products sold as henna have PPD added, particularly "black henna." Using body art-quality (BAQ) pure henna, or indigo, is the only way to avoid PPD in hair dye.

PPD is used in the manufacture of aramid plastics and fibers such as Kevlar as well as substituted p-phenylenediamines that are used as antiozonants in rubber.

I'd pass.

Thank you for that wealth of information. I really appreciate it.

I wonder if that's why some ammonia free, natural hair dyes didn't work well for me. I'm going to browse the hair dye section to look for this chem.

Best to order indigo.

Last edited:
Back