Black palm kernel oil

brandy

Ladies, for those of you whom may be interested, black palm kernel oil (Igbos call it elu aki) is da bomb as a pre poo treatment!
This oil is used in the south eastern part of Nigeria for babies skin and hair. It is the oil that comes from the nuts or the kernels of the organically grown oil palm trees.
I have been using this as a pre-poo since January 2007 on my hair and on my children's hair and I must say that it is wonderful! If you got very dry ends or brittle hair give it a try. If you want to thicken your hair give it a try. It strenghens the hair and makes it shiny. And thickens the hair with time. My baby had no hair in the back of his head because of how he slept. I massaged this oil into his scalp and within a few weeks I noticed he grew thick lovely hair in the bald areas and his hair thickened tremendously. Elu aki or black palm kernel oil is 100% natural. But the down side to it is that it is not readily available in the Western world. And when you do find it commercially it is adulterated. So to have the original elu aki get someone you trust to get it directly from the local African women that produce it before it goes out to the market.

I will be updating my album soon and I will post photos of my hair and my Children's hair. I will also post a photo of this oil.
Just felt like sharing.

This is great!! How does it smell? Too bad this oil's not readily available (I'm sure my wallet's happy, though... :lol: )

brandy said:
Ladies, for those of you whom may be interested, black palm kernel oil (Igbos call it elu aki) is da bomb as a pre poo treatment!
This oil is used in the south eastern part of Nigeria for babies skin and hair. It is the oil that comes from the nuts or the kernels of the organically grown oil palm trees.
I have been using this as a pre-poo since January 2007 on my hair and on my children's hair and I must say that it is wonderful! If you got very dry ends or brittle hair give it a try. If you want to thicken your hair give it a try. It strenghens the hair and makes it shiny. And thickens the hair with time. My baby had no hair in the back of his head because of how he slept. I massaged this oil into his scalp and within a few weeks I noticed he grew thick lovely hair in the bald areas and his hair thickened tremendously. Elu aki or black palm kernel oil is 100% natural. But the down side to it is that it is not readily available in the Western world. And when you do find it commercially it is adulterated. So to have the original elu aki get someone you trust to get it directly from the local African women that produce it before it goes out to the market.

I will be updating my album soon and I will post photos of my hair and my Children's hair. I will also post a photo of this oil.
Just felt like sharing.

What's the difference between Black palm kernal oil, red palm kernal oil, and just plain old palm kernal oil - if you know??

TIA!

nappywomyn said:
What's the difference between Black palm kernal oil, red palm kernal oil, and just plain old palm kernal oil - if you know??

TIA!
I'd like to know this too.

bklynwildheart said:
This is great!! How does it smell? Too bad this oil's not readily available (I'm sure my wallet's happy, though... :lol: )

It smells a bit like a burnt nut not so strong but not a bad smell.

nappywomyn said:

TIA!
Palm kernel oil is the oil that comes from the nut of the palm nut tree. The local women process this oil by putting the nuts in a pot usually clay and heat over a fire till the oil comes out of the nuts.
Red palm oil comes from the flesh coating the palm kernel nuts. The flesh coating the nuts is usually orange in colour. This is usually processes by boiling the flesh together with the nuts, then it undergoes some pounding to separate the flesh from the nuts. After this it is heated and the red oil is obtained. The red oil is used mainly for cooking while the palm kernel oil is used for body and hair care.
Plain palm kernel oil, the one I saw in London is like white fat. It was processed by cold pressing.

Last edited:
brandy said:
Palm kernel oil is the oil that comes from the nut of the palm nut tree. The local women process this oil by putting the nuts in a pot usually clay and heat over a fire till the oil comes out of the nuts.
Red palm oil comes from the flesh coating the palm kernel nuts. The flesh coating the nuts is usually orange in colour. This is usually processes by boiling the flesh together with the nuts, then it undergoes some pounding to separate the flesh from the nuts. After this it is heated and the red oil is obtained. The red oil is used mainly for cooking while the palm kernel oil is used for body and hair care.
Plain palm kernel oil, the one I saw in London is like white fat. It was processed by cold pressing.

Thanks for that info. Do you know of any place it can be ordered from?

cocoa32 said:
Thanks for that info. Do you know of any place it can be ordered from?

It is best obtained from someone coming from West Africa especially some one that would get it from the local women that produce this oil because people tend to adulterate the ones that are sold in markets for some stupid reason. My mum got me a bottle when she came back from Africa.

Interesting.

So it's all the same stuff, just pressed/mixed differently. Thanks!

Most soap making/lotion making websites will sell it - in fact, I'm almost certain that FNWL sells palm kernal oil - and I doubt that they sell anything that's been adulterated.

My HUGE gallon of oil I got in a trade - it was from a soapmaking site - my skin LOVES it. Because it becomes a semi-solid when cool, I haven't been using it for my hair, but as the weather gets warmer, I will.

Nappywomyn: Could you please post the site where you buy your palm kernel oil from and
I assume FNWL= From Nature With Love? thanks bonjour

Back