Black Hair Magazines

alireno

Recently I noticed that someone here (maybe mirrormirror?) mentioned buying hair magazines on the first of each month. I have glanced through some before, and remember many of them concentrating on weaves. I am transitioning and was thinking about buying some to get some ideas for hairstyles. Which magazines do you all think would be most helpful for somone transitioning or natural?

Sophisticate's Black Hair usually has a small natural and braid section..It usually has very nice hair styles. HTH

If you are interested in transitioning using extension braids I have 2 books, one is called "Braids & More" retails for $5.95 the other one is called "Braids & Beauty over 100 ways to take Natural Style Over the top" retails for $4.99. They are both nice books with lots of pictures, articles and product recommendation. I don't think I'll purchase either again because once you buy one set, I don't think you'll need another. If I do purchase again it will be on a yearly basis.
smile.gif

I wanted to add that both magazines are laid out very well glossy pages with full color photos. They are professionally done, no complaint there.

DON'T waste your money on Hype Hair. I have a subscription and I don't like it at all
nono.gif
. I definitely won't be renewing, and I'm glad I only paid (I think) $5.00 for the subscription on magazinevalues.com!!!

It's all about weaves and they feature celebrities who have weaves and then try to make it seem like it's their hair. I'm just not into that.
ohwell.gif

Hype Hair needs to fire its editors and art directors. There are typos galore, horrible grammar and bad page layouts. Not to mention the "It's mine even thought I bought it" celebrity layouts.

In addition to Sophisticates Black Hair, I like Blactress and Black Beauty. But as of lately, I skim the pages of Essence and Honey for cute hairstyles. I even look at the advertisements.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
It's all about weaves and they feature celebrities who have weaves and then try to make it seem like it's their hair. I'm just not into that.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I don't buy them anymore. I know someone who works at a grocery store and she gets them for me when they're getting ready to stock the newest issues.

It's insulting to see a two page interview with Whitney Houston's stylist talking about how she creates all of Whitney's styles. Never once did she mention that they were wigs. "We cut some layers and added some low-lights..."
mad.gif
These people think their readers are stupid.

I mainly used those magazines as ideas for haircuts when I wear weaves. Sometimes I want to scream when I see all of the things they do to some of these people's real hair in the back sections where they have step-by-step instructions. Especially when I see spiral curls: spritz hair w/ hair spray, then curling iron. Also blow drying on high heat, then flat iron.

Black Hairstyles and trends is the only one I've even paused to read because they seem to have more of a care for your own hair vibe then that "to achieve this style, weave in wefts" that all the other mags seem to start off with!

Back