"Black Gold" - How global demand for hair products is linked to forced labor in Xinjiang, Article on CNN

This world is so F’d up. Anything that makes money is going to breed evil. I was just reading about the black market Avocado trafficking conflict. Avocado...
It is legitimately hard to avoid being involved in trafficking and oppression. I really should consume less, period.

Question I always wondered about. Sometimes I see bags of hair labeled as human hair, but they seem impossibly cheap. Does "human hair" mean something other than, well, human hair? It's hard to imagine you can buy a bundle of real human's hair for $20 or whatever.

It is legitimately hard to avoid being involved in trafficking and oppression. I really should consume less, period.

Question I always wondered about. Sometimes I see bags of hair labeled as human hair, but they seem impossibly cheap. Does "human hair" mean something other than, well, human hair? It's hard to imagine you can buy a bundle of real human's hair for $20 or whatever.
On one hand, it could be animal fur or synthetic hair being passed off and marketed as "human" hair.
On the other hand... This will sound extremely morbid (even more so than this topic is already) but... I've heard of human hair being harvested from corpses to make extensions. There are some truly ruthless people out there who will stop at nothing to satisfy their greed.

Yup! Believe me, even the powers that be are doing all they can, to avoid crime: no more cash money = more safety for people who work as cashiers or own stores. Everything within a 15-min distance = no more need for a car = less accidents = no one wanting to steal your car. Meatless Mondays = less cardiovascular diseases. And so on and so forth.

Today I used a mayonnaise jar I had washed out, to take my home made soup to work. Also baked my own bread. What you just said is very far reaching, especially for us as Black people. Was having this convo with my sis the other day and I truly believe this is one of the reasons why we can't prosper as a people. For example: my checking account is with a bank that invests in fire arms. Been with them for 23 years, guess what? Haven't been able to save or invest. I believe it's all in their negative karma, no joke. Same thing with these human hairs geared towards Black women. Not trying to sound like a kook, but something is just off.

Thanks for talking about this. Most people don't know what the Uyghur women have to go through
Not only chop off their hair etc
lost their sons, hubbies etc
FORCED TO SLEEP WITH NON-UYGHUR CHINESE MEN ( NOT THEIR HUSBANDS) which is not only
against their religion but state-instituted rape. That's the women, not getting into the males as it's
long hair-related.
ETA: possible reason for this (have read up on it before this happened) the Uyghur women are considered extra beautiful
or whatever. but also to break them completely, instead of inciting rebellion after their men and boys are lost to them for good.

This stuff is documented, it's fact. It's not only 'human rights groups say' as this article says it's f'n fact
ACKNOWLEDGED AND CONDEMNED by the UN repeatedly
- I love how things are given this questionable light :rolleyes:

Back