Black castor oil and light color castor oil

bri123

Good morning everyone,
What is the difference between the two kinds of castor oil there is the black kind and the light color and which is better, or do they do the same thing for your hair.
Thanks
confused.gif
Bridgette

the black one is supposed to be the best one for the hair. my mum used to use it but we can't find it in the uk. I think its more natural than the clear one. For example, brown bread is better than white, or brown rice is better than white rice. She doesn't like the clear one, she says its not the same

I've learned it's how pure it is rather than color. The kind I have from the health store is unrefined, pure cold pressed castor oil, and it's clear.

Good thinking Isis. I've seen this brand at Whole Foods but rejected it because it didn't have the "color" so raved about by fans of the black castor oil. Now I'm going to go ahead and get it.
driver.gif
Perhaps it's clear because solids and debris have been filtered out of it rather than there being a bleaching agent of some sort added. Thanks for asking Bri123 that was on my mind too today.

I agree w/Isis and Brooke. Pretty much as long as it is not processed utilizing solvents, the quality of the oil should be very good.

Here's some info on expression/extraction methods:

Cold Pressed - A method of mechanical extraction where heat is reduced and minimized throughout the batching of the raw material. This helps the oil maintain its original state, constituents, and depth. Temperatures are rigorously controlled to insure that it does not exceed 80-90 degrees Fahrenheit. Although not a practical method of extraction for all vegetable oils on the market it is highly regarded as the extraction method of choice.

Expeller Pressed - A method of natural, mechanical extraction and processing of oils where a small amount of heat is produced simply through the frictional heat created by hydraulic presses. This is usually around 120-200 degrees Fahrenheit and makes the oil suitable and economical as a base for cosmetics because of its fairly undisturbed molecular state. It also makes a fine food grade oil.

Refined - A fully processed oil where it has been exposed to high temperatures as high as 450 degrees Fahrenheit, winterization as low as -10 degrees, deodorization (the removal of content which gives an oil its natural scent), and other forms of refinement that will alter its color, depth, and scent. This makes for an economical oil in cosmetics and body care products but it is not the healthiest as a food grade oil.
Caveat emptor: Refined oils may also be extracted with the use of solvents, extracting mediums or other chemicals.

Unrefined - A process of mechanical extraction and screen filtering where no additional refining process has taken place. This ensures the finest quality product and makes the oil the most exquisite for food and cosmetic preparation. The unrefined process helps oil retain a rich, strong flavor and color that is true to its natural state. Unrefined oils are always darker in color and richer in scent.

From this it's clear that if you have a castory oil product w/out a scent, it's been refined. Same may be true as far as the color is concerned.

Unrefined & cold pressed would be my first choice for any oil including Shea butter, coconut, EVOO, and castor oils.

Ps. that info came from Botanical.com

LaNecia thank you for this info! This very topic was on my mind this morning as I was getting dressed. I have cold pressed castor oil but I wasn't sure what "cold pressed" meant.

Thank for starting this post and for the info LaN, so I have the Palma Christi which ppl were raving about, its is Pure Cold Pressed, do I need to go out and by the darker one, it does have a smell, it a little nutty and its not clear, more of a brown yellow but u can see through the bottle,

Thanks for your help ladies I really appreciate it and now I can go buy the light colored castor oil.
Bridgette

I thought castor oil was supposed to bad for your hair...at least thats what I heard.

"A diamond a day keeps the divorce away" ~me
smile.gif
j/j

Back