Black Babies with no hair in the back...

It's not such a big deal that I think folks need to be putting satin anything down to protect their child's hair, lol. That might be a bit much.

I have little brothers and forget about sleeping, when they get to a certain age where they're more active but not yet strong you'll watch them furiously rub their heads back and forth when they're awake and on their backs creating friction on the back of their heads and breaking that baby fine hair down. But it's good for babies, it's more important their bodies get work and their neck muscles form.

Besides baby hair rarely lasts, when I look at the little baggy with my brother's first hair cut the hair is TOTALLY different in terms of color and texture. I highly doubt even if we didn't cut it the hair would have come out on it's own.

And it's all babies, not just blacks, I see it with plenty of white babies.

That's a good point about the baby hair not lasting, anyway. My son's hair was bone-straight for his first year of life, like slick type 1. By the time he got his first hair cut at 2, he had curly/wavy hair that was a little coarser. I guess his hair transitioned during his second year of life. I wish I could post a pic, but I don't have any digital ones.

I would simply use a satin pillow case or part of a satin (or satin like) sheet or material to line the top portion of where a child lays. Do not let it be loose as you do not want loose material in a crib due to SIDS precautions. Additionally, another culprit, is the car seat. There is constant friction going on there. I would do the same with a car seat.

As far as why care that much about a baby's hair? Why not? Why lose hair if you don't have to.

That's a good point about the baby hair not lasting, anyway. My son's hair was bone-straight for his first year of life, like slick type 1. By the time he got his first hair cut at 2, he had curly/wavy hair that was a little coarser. I guess his hair transitioned during his second year of life. I wish I could post a pic, but I don't have any digital ones.

This is part of it too.

With infants doctors advise against putting pillows in the baby's bed at all and recommend cotton sheets. You rarely ever see a child older than 3 still with no hair in the back. It comes back when their hair isn't as fine.

I would not advise putting a pillow in either. I would use cotton sheets but would like like 3/4 (top part) of the crib mattress with a satin or satin like material tucked taut underneath whereas it does not shift or move when the child is sleep.

If the sleep position is the problem, maybe the parent should get the child a silk or satin pillow case.

I have a friend who plans on doing that and putting a silk scarf in the carseats as well.

My youngest son slept on his stomach (he had acid reflux) and he never went through the balding phase in the back of the head, while my older ds did bald.

LOL! Happens to tons of babies. It'll grow back. :)

LOL, you don't know my sister. All of my sisters (except me) are pretty much bald from bad hair care practices. My sister doesn't even know how to comb her own child's hair. :nono::ohwell::perplexed

It's grow, just won't retain, it starting to happen to my other niece with my other sister. Her edges, nape and hair line are gone. :nono:

Its not just the sleeping position. Its more so the material the child is lying down on. Use satin or silk sheets for the crib. They could try baby bonnets made of a silk or satin material also to help out. Baby hair is very fragile.

Also, once that baby hair starts changing a lot of parents no longer know what to do. They just cant slick it down with water and a baby brush anymore. Also they dont realize when baby shampoo is not enough (not using conditioner). Plus they arent sure how to style it either. I would rather them leave it alone than cover it up with all that hair junk. After a while all those little tiny plaits covered in rubber bands and hair accessories is no longer cute. Its like they are trying to overcompensate for the child's hair texture. You just cant cover it up

I think maintaining the baby hair on little girls would help ease the parent into the new texture. I can only imagine how much more difficult it becomes to make a little girl presentable when she has no hair. I mean she is growing yet her hair is almost the same length as when she was born. I would imagine if you can keep that baby hair from wearing away too fast it will ease styling. Probably by the time her baby hair does fully wear away, she will have some length.

Im finding that little boys now have much longer hair than little girls as babies and todlers. The parents just braid the little boys hair making sure it neat but not ultra stylist. Their hair flourishes. They dont treat the little girls' hair the same. They have to make it look cute. They have to make her look like a girl, but at what cost.

My little brother's first had that adorable perfectly straight baby doll hair which was fine and black (or appeared to be) then it became a soft (type 3? I dunno, I'm not up on typing) very loose cinnamon brown curl, then finally settled into a darker more coarse and curly hair.

Thus I kinda think all the 'well put a satin sheet' 'satin cap' etc. talk for babies is a waste of time. I just don't think that hair is built to last, babies bodies are going through such extreme changes as they adjust to an entirely new environment, diet, and build up their immunities. All the hair that was my brother's used to have on their forehead (I know...) came off slowly on it's own so...yeah.

My daughter used to shake her head from side to side while laying on her back & she was as clean as a whistle, as she got older & changed sleep positions it grew back.

I would not advise putting a pillow in either. I would use cotton sheets but would like like 3/4 (top part) of the crib mattress with a satin or satin like material tucked taut underneath whereas it does not shift or move when the child is sleep.

The Pro (MAYBE protecting a few hairs) does not outweight the cons (increased risk of SIDS/suffocation). It isnt that serious to me.

My "babies" haven't been babies in a long time! However, both of them went through this phase, but once they started crawling and walking more they had big 'ol fros. It's all good!

Back