Black and silver strand of hair

daviine

I just found a strand of hair that is silver at the end (2 inches or so) but the rest of the strand going up to the root is black (6 or more inches). I would think that once your hair starts going gray, then it would continue to do so. Does anyone know why/how this happens? Anyone else experience this?

I haven't been able to find any information online. Maybe I'm not using the right search terms.

I haven't found any explanations for it either, but I have plenty of strands like that - I have even seen a few with dark roots, then grey, then dark again, then grey again. Maybe it has something to do with nutrition/deficiencies at various points?

i have loads like that too. I begun to think the grey pours out into the strand from the scalp or vice versa, because the longest hairs are grey and they don't grow that colour, they turn!!

daviine, I remember that there's something on "The science of black hair" book by one of our members. I have it here at work on my tablet. I'll try to find the explanation she gives.

I have heard that it could be an imbalance. I have had hair that seems to change color and I have just decides that my body stopped making pigment because it needed to do something else. Once that task was completed it went back to making pigment. I say this because I will see gray or red only in the center of a strand

i had that once. i had just had surgery and i was on all these meds. i had like 3 hairs like that. after i recovered and stopped taking the meds i didn't have them anymore. hair has been all black every since.

My hair has been doing that since I was 13. I would have several gray hairs then it would eventually grow back to my natural color. I had more gray hairs at 13/14 than I do now at 30-something.

How interesting. The body is an amazing thing.

I'll try to remember to ask the doctor when I get around to going.

Back