BKT first impressions..

Stella B.

It's been 2 weeks since I gave myself a Zene brazilian keratin treatment. I have spent the past week adjusting and learning about this new head of hair I have. This has meant adjusting my reggie, adding a serum for daily smoothing, and a liquid keratin leave-in product on shampoo day. So far I like the new changes in my hair. Now remember I'm looking at 10 month post roots, (I'm stretching for a year) and relaxed ends. So here are my thoughts so far in my new BKT journey:

My goal in getting this treatment was to have softer, more manageable hair from shampoo to shampoo. Mission accomplished!

Pros:
*BKT actually blurs my line of demarcation, and loosens my curl pattern. This alone makes for easier detangling. I still get tangles and single strand knots, but finger detangling is much easier now.
*My hair is soft and manageable
*Should help with length retention, because the ends are now
coated/protected by the treatment. Roots part easier.
*Great helper technique when stretching, or transitioning.

Cons:
*Hair is super soft and billowy-might be too soft to hold certain styles well, such as rollersets and curly styles. The softened hair tends to want to fall and hang
*Re-examine the reggie-learn how to stay away from products that could strip the treatment

What does this BKT treatment do?
It softens the hair like a conditioner, and that softness won't go away for weeks. It loosens the curl pattern as wel, but seems to leave the texture intact. It straightens only when high heat is applied to it.

Does it revert?
Yes, water will make it revert back to its looser curl pattern that was achieved since the original BKT treatment. The BKT alone will not get hair straight like a perm, or a good flat ironing. The curl pattern is looser, and not as defined as before the treatment.

This treatment coats the hair with protein, and leaves a very different and unusual feel to the hair. My hair felt like coated silk when wet; and felt like wrinkled silk when dry. Some people may not like this noticable change to the hair. Initially, my hair looked very glassy also from the coating in the light. This too gets better in a few days, especially after the first wash. It's been 2 weeks, and my hair feels much more like 'my' hair again. I'm enjoying it right now, but I will need time to learn how to love it!

My plan for BKT-
To use the BKT treatment to assist with long term stretches, and in between transitions. I'm hoping this will help me stretch until the end of the year. At that time, I'll make a decision about continuing with BKT or transitioning. I'm glad I did it though. It was a lot less scarier than I thought. So here's a few pics for the curious, until I can get my fotki together...

14s3ev.jpg
still have my curlies
ffa988.jpg
nr0v1y.jpg
straight

9tzrl0.jpg
twist-out
2lk9njm.jpg
straight roots after flat ironing
124ye81.jpg
BKT on relaxed ends/natural roots

Last edited:
Nice work, Stella B. I love reading and seeing everyone's experiences with the BKT. It has certainly helped me.

Nice work, Stella B. I love reading and seeing everyone's experiences with the BKT. It has certainly helped me.
Yea, I lived in the keratin support thread for months before making a decision. The ladies there are so smart and helpful! It was their positive attitude and knowledge that helped me to take the plunge! Thanks for reading my post

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I also just got finished watching your mane tame video and your hair is just gorgeous!! Looks like you'd already found ways to keep your hair smooth and sleek even with 7 months of 4a/b new growth! :shocked: Just beautiful.

StellaB. I am glad it is working for you! Do everything you need to do to keep it beautiful, healthy and strong (IK You will).

Thanks for Sharing your progress & your results!:grin:

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I also just got finished watching your mane tame video and your hair is just gorgeous!! Looks like you'd already found ways to keep your hair smooth and sleek even with 7 months of 4a/b new growth! :shocked: Just beautiful.

Oh, Sheba, I consider this compliment as one of the greatest I could receive; coming from you, the BKT guru! :grin: Thanks for helping me think through this BKT process with all your helpful comments and responses to members.

Thanks! Great review!
MyAngelEyez, just wanted to share my experience with others, hoping it might help someone else in making a decision about getting the BKT done; just like you all helped me. Thanks for keeping it positive!

StellaB. I am glad it is working for you! Do everything you need to do to keep it beautiful, healthy and strong (IK You will).

Thanks for Sharing your progress & your results!:grin:
IDareT'sHair, It's working out for me so far! Have to learn now how to keep my BKT strands happy and moisturized! I know we both have a 'thing' about moisturized hair...:yep:

Back