Biotin

deon19

I not into the hair grow as much as some of the people on this website, so I hope this does not sound stuip . But what is Biotin and how does it help your hair

Biotin:
Now biotin is what really can boost your hair growth. Skin, nails, and hair rely on biotin to grow. So, if we feed our bodies more biotin, then our skin will look better, and our nails will be stronger, and our hair will grow faster and stronger. My hair vitamin contains 1200mcg of biotin. I take an additional 2400mcg/day. I have played with the dosage a little and have found that my hair definitely grows faster with the total biotin of 3600mcg/day. You might need to play with this too. You might need more or less than I do for results.

What AmilLion said is definitely correct.

Have a read through the thread about Bargello's regimen on this board also. A fair few of the ladies on here including myself take about 5mg of biotin on average.

The Vitamin I take contain I think 300mg of biotin and I take the pill three times a day. Is that enough or to little

Deon19 It's 300mcg not mg. An easy mistake to make 1000mcg=1mg

You are then getting 900mcg per day which is 100mcg short of 1mg. You may want to take more and toggle the doseage of biotin to suit your requirements. Some people take up to about 10mg per day. But you may find 3,4 or even 5 mg suitable for you.

Biotin is water soluble and non toxic so what is not needed will simply pass through your system. It's not like Iron or Vit A for example where you have to watch your doseage for fear of ill health.

Good Luck /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sorry, what I copied and paste was from Bargello's regimen. She included now she's taking 7500 mcg's of Biotin.

If your taking 300mg of Biotin, wouldn't that equate to 30000mcgs? Or did you mean 3000mcg? If it's 3000mcg's, I believe that's 3mg's. From my reading, most ladies notice growth using at least 5000mcg's or 5mg.

Hello! Is part of the vitamin B family, so if you take this supplement individually make sure you are taking it with a B-complex.

Biotin contains sulfer which is important for the hair. It is water soluable, which means whatever you body is unable to use, will be flushed out so there is no risk for toxicity.

Biotin is found in many shampoo and conditioner preperations, and nail creams because it really benefits the hair in preventing baldness, stronger hair, and nails due to it's high sulfer content. It works REALLY well when combined with MSM (another HIGH sulfer nutrient).

Biotin is also used to prevent premature graying, so it keeps the color of the hair. Biotin extends the hair growth phase as well as assisting cell growth in general.

In addition this vitamin is of interest to diabetics because it seems to allow the body to produce enough insulin to reduce the number of insulin injections that are neccesary.

HTH /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yes, I just purchased one from GNC, but's its very low is dosage, only 600mcgs and I need 5000mcgs. Can you imagine how many caps I would have to take.

Someone (sorry, I forgot your name) mentioned Country Life, which comes in 5000mcgs in one dosage. There's also puritan's Pride which comes in 1000mcgs

Solgar also makes a 1000mcg (=1mg) Biotin capsule. This is the brand I take.

MSM comes in its "own" pill. It is not a vitamin. It's a form of sulfur. You can buy it in pills or in powder form to add to food/drink (or hair products). /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tara,

You might want to ask your GNC provider for the Biotin 2500, each capsule contains 2500 mcg. The entire bottle contains 60 capsules. When I see the Bitoin 2500, I often pick up several--for some reason my GNC provider runs out of this bottle quickly.

A.

Re: Biotin @ Amilion

I have a question for you Amilion,

I'm taking the Puritans Pride, but I notice that it's d-Biotin. Do you know what that is? Is that a synthetic or? It seems alright so far, but I'm just curious.

Tanx /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Re: Biotin @ Amilion

I found it. It is synthetic. I'm gonna take break from supplements this week.

And then start up my program again on Monday. And be consistant with the Puritan Pride for 3 months to see if I notice any issues. So far though I have not, but I've only recently switched from Twinlabs brand to Puritans Pride.

http://chetday.com/bvitamins.html (some info)

Re: Biotin @ Tara

Hello Tara.

I'm learning as I go along. I'm fairly new to Healthy Hair Care, but I'm trying my best. I think I'm heading on a go road. I found the hair products that work miracles on my head tonight. I also find all vitamins (I have to exchange the 600mcgs for the 2500mcgs @ GNC)

For me washing my hair once a week works best so I'll follow that, and take all required vitamins, in the morning with my breakfast.

Good Luck to me.

P.S. The products that I used tonight will assist me in going longer without a relaxer and if Silica's supposed to soften hair texture, I may not require a touch up for another few months!

Last Relaxer Sept 17.

Hi AmilLion,
Here is my vitamin regimen:
Ultra Nourishair-2 tablets daily
GNC Biotin- 2, 2500 mcg capsules
GNC vitamin c-1, 500mg tablet
Centrum- 1 tablet
Nutricia Efamol Evening Primrose oil-2, 500mg softgels capsules
GNC MSM 1000- 1, 1000 mg capsule
GNC Flaxseed oil-1, 500 mg softgel capsule

I haven't been able to isolate the biotin on it's own. But between the centrum, the ultra nourishair, and the 2500mcg biotin capsules, my biotin dosage is 6230 mcg's. It's been about 3 weeks since I've been on this regime and I have more growth in the past almost 3 weeks than I would normally get in a month. Needless to say, I'm thrilled! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

OMG Pebbles. I'm soo happy for you and I'm excited.

I just started my entire regimen this morning. I take:

2 GNC NourishHair
2 GNC Evening Primrose Oil (500mg)
1 Vitamin Shoppee's Biotin (5000mcg)
1 Vitamin Shoppee's Silica (500mg)
1 GNC Flaxseed Oil (500mg)
1 GNC MSM (1500mg)

Additionally, I was considering adding a multi-vitamin as Bargello suggested.

Well the brand of Biotin that I use is also from GNC (actually all my vitamins are from GNC) and it is 2500mcg ( I take one a day) I also take the women's ultra mega vitamin and ultra nourishair along with 1500mg of MSM. So my combined total of biotin a day is 3780mcg (is that a good amount?)As far as the MSM, I see you guys say that it's ok to take in large amounts of biotin but what about MSM? Currently I'm taking 2000 mg and I was wondering if that was too high....Oh, and before I go, could someone give me some testimonials about the benefits of primrose and flaxseed oil vitamins, I'm about to add them to my vitamin regimen and I'd just like to know what exactly do they do for your hair again....
Thanks /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm not a hair vitamin pro, but I'll help you out to the best of my ability that I can. If anything I list is incorrect and anyone notices, please please please feel free to intervene.

Okay, first and foremost, we all need a multi-vitamin so that we can get all the required nutrients to lead a healthy life. For general hair condition, many board members here and on other boards take the GNC UltraNourishHair, GNC's NourishHair or the Vito Vitamin. They contain, Biotin, MSM, Silica and other vitamins which are important for hair health, stimulation and growth.

I started off with the NourishHair first to see how my body would react. So far I haven't experienced any complications.

Biotin:
Biotin can boost your hair growth. Skin, nails, and hair rely on biotin to grow, your hair should grow faster and stronger. Many board members have experienced results using 5000mcg/day.

MSM:
It helps to decrease hair fall out. It does this by assisting in making the growth stage of the hair longer. The longer you are able to retain the root, the longer you hair will grow. Many board members take up to 3200mcg/day.

Silica:
Helps your hair be soft and shiny. I believe the average dosage could be 500mg/day

Evening Primrose Oil:
Can reduce PMS, clear up eczema, helping your skin glow, minimize fine wrinkles, reduce cholesterol, help with your metabolism, and cure hair and nail problems. It helps nourish straw-like hair. It should help your scalp should feel less dry and the hair growing in should feel softer and more nourished. You should use this in conjunction with Flax Seed Oil because your body need both to work properly. Taking both will help the cells of the body work more efficiently and in return help growth of hair as well as health of hair and body. I believe people use 500mg/day.

Flaxseed Oil:
Same benefits as Evening Primrose Oil. I believe the usage is 500mg/day.

You don't say, Pebbles! Perhaps will give you another three weeks; if your regime is still booming off the hook, let us know. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I, unfortunately am not one of the ladies that can take biotin. It caused craziness with my periods. However before I was able to discover that biotin was causing me problems I took it religiously everyday and noticed strong nails and faster hair growth. I was able to find a form of of biotin made by Cardiovascular Research Ltd, called Megabiotin. I got it from a health food store. One pill contained 7,500 mcg!!! So for those ladies that want to reduce the number of pills while increasing the amount of biotin they take, you might wanna try the megabiotin--very small, easy to swallow.

Candycane

Back