Bigon hair color is too dark..help needed.

Frostipuff

Hello!

Has anyone had experience with bigon hair color? My
stylist used it on me this past saturday and I'm finding
that the color is just too dark for me. I requested
dark brown, but this color is more black; a flat shoe
polish type of black with little or no shine. :(

My question is: will the hair color fade or lighten with
time? I used Pureology clarifying shampoo followed by
Nexxus Humecto with little or no loss in color, which is
rare for a semi-permanent hair color. I am now sitting
under the dryer wondering what to do next.

My hair stylist wants to use a bit of clairoxide 20 clear
developer to lift the color, but I'm concerned that my
fragile hair will suffer more and I'll experience more hair
loss/breakage. I just had my hair relaxed and colored
this past Saturday.

What do you all think?

I recently used black brown and it was PITCH black. I can't even imagine how dark the the Oriental Black would have been! :lol:

I was not used to the such a strong black on me, so it was awkward for a few weeks. There is hope though... It will fade, well lose its intensity, after a few washings and deep conditionings. :yep:

Also next time, you can do a clear rinse over the Bigen if you aren't getting any shine. The clear rinse (Jazzings) gave me a nice glossy shine over the color.

Thank you for your response, Sistaslick. I am so
happy to hear that it will lose intensity over time.
I think that I'll have my stylist put a clear rinse over it
instead of lifting the color. Great suggestion!

Your are on target with the color description. It is indeed
pitch black. :ohwell:

Henna can tone the color down for you.

Edited to add:

I would not let the stylist lift the color. NO NO NO.

Last edited:
Just chiming in to agree with Sistaslick and HoneyDew. Bigen will fade, quicker the more often you wash; also don't have the color lifted. Good luck!

Frostipuff said:
HoneyDew, thank you for the henna suggestion.
I'll look into it.

I used Bigen Oriental Black on my hair last August or so. I notice that when I do Henna, it does not really effect my Bigen Colored hair as much as it does my roots. But, my hair is not as DARK DARK DARK as it was. I, too had Shoe Polish black hair. I liked it, at first, but grew tired of it.

Even it takes a few Henna applications to really get toned down as much as you want, Henna will give you shine, too. That may help the color look better for you.

yes, let the color fade/grow out! i dyed my hair oriental black @ the end of nov. 06...long story short: i ended up coloring my hair 4 days in a row + bleaching it. i recently cut 3 inches off. it's a lot stronger now.

You may want to let your stylist know that Bigen comes in brown colors, in fact a wide range of colors. I researched this while learning about henna so I could make a clear decision for my needs. I learned Bigen is safe for relaxed hair.

I gave Bigen a call a few months ago and the very nice lady there (the manager, I think she said) had many good things to say about Bigen for my hair. She did not recommend "Black Brown" for my dark brown hair because she said it will turn out black (I already told her I didn't want black). The colors usually result in a darker shade. I think she suggested "Chocolate" if I wanted dark brown.

Sally's (at least in my area) doesn't carry that shade but stylists can order it and perhaps other BBS's have it.

I'm sure your Bigen will fade nicely. In the meantime, you may even start liking the black.:)

cneal said:
yes, let the color fade/grow out! i dyed my hair oriental black @ the end of nov. 06...long story short: i ended up coloring my hair 4 days in a row + bleaching it. i recently cut 3 inches off. it's a lot stronger now.
OT: Your hair is beautiful, cneal, but the pictures in your album are so tiny. The thumbnails you click on are bigger than the single images they link too. Is that normal, or am I doing something wrong?

Isis said:
You may want to let your stylist know that Bigen comes in brown colors, in fact a wide range of colors. I researched this while learning about henna so I could make a clear decision for my needs. I learned Bigen is safe for relaxed hair.

I gave Bigen a call a few months ago and the very nice lady there (the manager, I think she said) had many good things to say about Bigen for my hair. She did not recommend "Black Brown" for my dark brown hair because she said it will turn out black (I already told her I didn't want black). The colors usually result in a darker shade. I think she suggested "Chocolate" if I wanted dark brown.

Sally's (at least in my area) doesn't carry that shade but stylists can order it and perhaps other BBS's have it.

I'm sure your Bigen will fade nicely. In the meantime, you may even start liking the black.:)

Yes, I've decided I'll make this color work for me, but I do need
some kind of clear gloss for shine, which will make it look nicer.

One thing I do love about Bigon is that while it is safe for relaxed
hair, it DOES cover the gray hair. I'll have my stylist order the
chocolate shade.

Thank you all for your suggestions. :)

I've never used this product but when I used to work at Sally's alot of the customer's told me it acted like a permenant dye more than a semi permenant. I would not try to lift the color with the clairoxide. It will probably just give you black hair with a green tint. I've seen strange things when people try to dye over bigen. Oh and remember to moisturize!! Alot of customers told me they experienced dryness with that product.

same thing happened to me a little over a year ago. i used one of the brown ones and my hair came out looking jet black. luckily, it faded not too long after.

Miss*Tress said:
OT: Your hair is beautiful, cneal, but the pictures in your album are so tiny. The thumbnails you click on are bigger than the single images they link too. Is that normal, or am I doing something wrong?

thanks babe! you have to actually login to see the full size pics...

The first time I used Bigen (oriental black) it came out so black and dull that my friend and a colleague commented on it; it was kind of embarrassing. That was in October 2005. It dried my hair out terribly as well. I color every three to four months; however, it never again came out that dark, dull and dry again. It comes out perfectly now, but I cannot tell you why.

adw425 said:
The first time I used Bigen (oriental black) it came out so black and dull that my friend and a colleague commented on it; it was kind of embarrassing. That was in October 2005. It dried my hair out terribly as well. I color every three to four months; however, it never again came out that dark, dull and dry again. It comes out perfectly now, but I cannot tell you why.

ADW425,

So you're still using Bigen with better results? I wish you could figure
out why it works so well for you now since you and I had similar results
after the first use. One thing I do like about Bigen is that it covers
the gray hair like no other that is supposed to be safe for relaxed hair.
Give it some thought and let me know, please.

Update: I've been using a clarifying shampoo (Pureology) and
my hair looks much, much better. It even had a healthy sheen
today after just two washes. I even got unsolicited compliments
on my hair from folks at work that I don't know very well. Oh, I
used Nexxus leave in protector, which left my hair soft and swinging.
Can you all tell I feel a lot better? ;)

I'm so glad your hair looks much better and you received compliments on your hair! It sounds like you may be on the right path after all with your hair. :up:

Besides Bigen, the only safe permanent color for relaxed hair is body art quality henna. It also covers grey hair very well. ;)

Back