Biggest Hurdle??

Mom23

Hi Ladies,
I have read that one of the biggest hair hurdles is getting from Shoulder length to Armpit length. That is where I am now. Can you provide any tips?? I wear my hair up in a bun or tucked under ponytail most of the time, but I also like to rollerset it.

I just want to make it through this stage successfully. Those who have been here and past it, help!!:lol:

Thanks Ladies.

If you do choose to wear your hair out in a rollerset, just be aware of the fabric of your clothes. I made sure I wore smooth surfaces that didn't pull at my hair. And no wool unless I wore a silk or satin scarf over it.

I definitely agree with this being the biggest hurdle. I started my hair journey back in November 2005, and now that it's September 2006, I'm STILL shoulder length! This is mainly due to many trims and a setback, but I still agree that going from Shoulder length to Armpit length is the biggest hurdle.

I love wearing rollersets, but I sometimes wish that my curls came out longer. At night when they get smushed, it'd be simple for me to just whip my hair up into a ponytail or bun the next morning, but I can't because my hair isn't long enough. I could still do a bun, but using the sock and elastic band may be taking a toll on my ends (I'm still unsure about it) since the elastic band is constantly on my ends and possibly stressing them out. I don't really want to wear my hair down anymore because there's a patch of hair in the back of my head that's broken off, therefore; when wearing my hair down, my ends look thinner. I like rolling it at night in satin rollers, but I don't want to have a big bouffant when taking them out. If I could get by with just constantly wearing rollersets, then I would, but I just have to keep re-doing them because my head sweats at night and my curls get smushed. I even thought about doing the phony pony :eek: and wrap it into a bun, but I can never find one that matches the colored parts of my hair....oh well :ohwell: I'll find a way.

Last edited:
Buns and braids... braids and buns. I actually moved from SL to APL in less than 1 year (despite my 1.5 inch trim). I have a very short torso tho. My biggest hurdle is not trimming the thin ends.

Last edited:
Im trying to make it there too. I am about 3.5 to 4 inches away from APL. I guess getting trims when needed and sticking to a regimen that works... I will make it there. Best wishes to all trying to make it to APL. Lets keep each other updated.

I'm not quite at APL length, but I'm past shoulder length. Patience and laziness are my friend, patience with stretching relaxers and fighting my new growth for months on end...laziness in that I haven't taken the time to do anything outside of a bun...which is really my ponytail twisted and the ends tucked into the elastic. There are those times that I bring the heat out, a blowout or flatironing for those occassions when looking like mammy sue just won't do, but those aren't that often.

Just be encouraged and put the measuring tape down...put the scissors down...walk away from the mirror and let your hair grow...it'll get there.

Back