Bigen Users; I am Worried....

LocksOfLuV

I read that it has peroxide in it. I don't know how I feel about this since I am relaxed and I don't need ANYTHING else adding the potential risk of breakage to my strands. I may go back to Jazzing...:( Atleast i doesn't have ammonia or peroxide. Please be honest, if anyone experiences ay breakage from this let me know now before I buy it.

Just in case I do decide to use the Bigen I have a question or two:

How often do you use it?

And which is darker between Oriental Black and BlueBlack?

LockofLuv, I have used it. I only used it once so far that was about two weeks after my relaxer. It worked very well. I used the oriental black. I had no dryness or breaking issues after I used it. I loved it and I shall keep using it. My hair was very black afterwards and it covered my greys very well.

It is a premanent dye and does not have peroxide or amonia. I am not sure which is darker but I would think the blublack is darker.

LocksOfLuV said:
I read that it has peroxide in it. I don't know how I feel about this since I am relaxed and I don't need ANYTHING else adding the potential risk of breakage to my strands. I may go back to Jazzing...:( Atleast i doesn't have ammonia or peroxide. Please be honest, if anyone experiences ay breakage from this let me know now before I buy it.

Just in case I do decide to use the Bigen I have a question or two:

How often do you use it?

And which is darker between Oriental Black and BlueBlack?

Dag, I thought it didn't have peroxide...I really wanted to try this!

don't quote me on it but i "think" it creates a mild peroxide once you add water to it.

i've used it to get rid of the browning effect the chemicals had on my ends.

found it a little drying but just upped the moisture for a couple days and haven't had a problem since.

only used it once and it was about 4 months ago.

I used bigen medium brown or something a year ago. it made my hair super dark. i had a little dryness, but nothing major. but the color faded lol.

Bigen oriental black ingredients:

sodim perborate, cellulose gum, P-Phenylenendiamine sulfate, m-aminophenol, sodium carbonate, disodium lauryl sulfosuccinate, magnesium stearate, fragrance, O-Aminophenol, P-Aminophenol

Okay so this one and a few other ones I just searches says no ammonia REQUIRES no peroxide-so that makes me think it has it...

3-9-06Pictur113-113.jpg
I have to google them ingredients to make sure none of them is the lab name for ammonia or peroxide Thanks Destiny and thank you Lynne for bumping that thread!

It doesn't have peroxide but it does have relatively large amounts (compared to other hair dyes) of PPD which can cause skin reactions.

RainbowCurls said:
It doesn't have peroxide but it does have relatively large amounts (compared to other hair dyes) of PPD which can cause skin reactions.

yea that too and unfortunately it's in most OTC (usually the dark dyes) products. some folks are very sensitive to it or build up sensitivites and others never have a problem.

when i used it i only used it on the hair itself. rinsing it was unavoidable though.

patch test before every single use!!!

I use it about every four months. The first time I used it, a year ago, I noticed that my hair was a bit dried out for a couple of days, so now I just give myself a super moisturizing conditioning treatment afterwards. I haven't had any other problems with it so far. I used to use Clairol, Loreal, etc., but I like the Bigen better. I use oriental black.

Okay ladies, I am still torn but everyone is being so helpful. Off to do some research because I noticed some bigens have it and some don't. I will report back with my findings.

I love Bigen when I need to color. Over the past couple of years, my dark black hair has started to grow in a 1B sort of color and it is not cute! Bigen to the rescue with no ill effects. It does not have peroxide though.

I have not used it since I started using cassia so I am concerned about how it will work or not work as a result.

I know this was an old thread but Locksofluv did you ever use the Bigen. I have beautiful collections and Bigen in my possesion right now and I dont know which one I want to use. Im still researching on here about the Bigen because its more permenant and thats the one I really want to try. If anyone else has used this product please let me know your results and if you like it. Thanks

I have used it for the past year with no ill effects, but I have swtiched back to henna and indigo as a safety precaution due to the ppd. My hairline is the fastest growing part of my hair. bonjour

This is all I used to use, until I joined the hairboards and started getting scared of the mass PPD-phobyia. I too loved the dark, lasting color. Maybe slightly drying, but manageable with consistent DC.

bablou00 said:
I know this was an old thread but Locksofluv did you ever use the Bigen. I have beautiful collections and Bigen in my possesion right now and I dont know which one I want to use. Im still researching on here about the Bigen because its more permenant and thats the one I really want to try. If anyone else has used this product please let me know your results and if you like it. Thanks

I have used both. Here's my comparison:

Bigen gives deeper color with WAY more shine. You also better be happy with the color because it stays!!!! The Beautiful Collection gives a more natural color without as much bling and it does not last long. I find that a little time (10 min) under the dryer helps it stay the 6-8 washes they claim. The Beautiful Collection also tends to bleed a wash or two after applying, meaning you can kinda see the color in your shampoo suds. I don't like that. Honestly, I prefer Bigen, but I don't like that it has PPD in it. I have NEVER had a problem with the PPD, but you how your mind wanders after you learn about something. Now that I know that somepeople haev allergic reactions, I have not used it. but, I used it for years without a problem.

HERicane10 said:
This is all I used to use, until I joined the hairboards and started getting scared of the mass PPD-phobyia. I too loved the dark, lasting color. Maybe slightly drying, but manageable with consistent DC.

:lol: :lol:

Just like me!

Thanks for the replies ladies. It seems like a lot of people have used it for years with no ill effects just worried that there may be. I am still over here torn but need to make up my mind cause I want my hair jet black by tomorrow...my birthday :D Im more worried about putting color in my hair since I havent had color in it since 2000. Ill let yall know what I decide. Thanks again for the replies.

I used Bigen twice with no ill effects, but have since switched to pre-mixed henna/indigo. Both give a beautiful, dark color, but Bigen covers grays completely, while henna/indigo leaves hair in the best condition ever. If you don't have grays, I say go with henna/indigo.

Miss*Tress said:
I used Bigen twice with no ill effects, but have since switched to pre-mixed henna/indigo. Both give a beautiful, dark color, but Bigen covers grays completely, while henna/indigo leaves hair in the best condition ever. If you don't have grays, I say go with henna/indigo.

What pre-mixed henna/indigo product do you use. I feel like I have asked you this before. :)

bablou00 said:
Thanks for the replies ladies. It seems like a lot of people have used it for years with no ill effects just worried that there may be. I am still over here torn but need to make up my mind cause I want my hair jet black by tomorrow...my birthday :D Im more worried about putting color in my hair since I havent had color in it since 2000. Ill let yall know what I decide. Thanks again for the replies.

Happy B-day. Bigen will give you the Jet Black. Beautiful Collection not so "jet". Maybe to some, but compared to Bigen, it is not as black and shiny, in my opinion.

HoneyDew said:
What pre-mixed henna/indigo product do you use. I feel like I have asked you this before. :)
It's called Henné Natur and I get it for less than €2.00 at the Indian grocery story.

4249228556678.jpg

Last edited:
bablou00 said:
I researched Bigen last year before deciding to use henna/indigo. I spoke with a Bigen expert (not customer service) at their 800 number and she said it's very safe for hair, including relaxed AA hair. The colors mentioned in this thread are the darkest colors of black. There are lighter colors and various shades of brown which may need to be special ordered by a BSS they usually stock just a few). Just about all of the ladies here who use or used Bigen really liked it.

Henna and Indigo is also great, maybe better since it's all natural and it excellent for the hair. It's also permanent and you can learn much more at www.hennaforhair.com and www.hennasooq.com

Have a Happy Birthday Bablou00! :birthday2:

:bump:Bumping for more responses! I like henna and all, but I want to be BLUE BLACK when the season changes. Anyone else use Bigen?:look:

:bump:Bumping for more responses! I like henna and all, but I want to be BLUE BLACK when the season changes. Anyone else use Bigen?:look:

Hi, I used Bigen Oriental Black yesterday, It is very very black, my 10 year old asked me if my hair was blue. lol So far so good still adjusting to the darkness of my hair.

I love Bigen but LoL is right. Sometimes it can be drying, so I only dye my hair once or twice a year, depending on when I relax. I generally dye it Oriental Jet Black, then do a very deep moisturizer conditioner with ORS mayonaise. I think it works rather well...

I have been using begin for the past 2 years. I agree it can be a little drying, but nothing drastic that a lil extra DC w/ heat wont fix.

I use the oriental and blue black. I've used them together and seperately. I like them equally.

I have only used it maybe 4 times and my hair stays dark and shiny. I only use it about twice a year, whenever the new growth starts being noticably different in color.

Luv it!:yep:

Back