Bigen Hair Color Alert....did you watch the news?

I too use it, and it works great for me. I use or mix it with water and add my condish to it. my hair comes out soft and the color is great. I hate that happen to that lady. It works for some and not for others.

Bigen has been my staple for years. It's the only dye that covers my grays that I'm not afraid to use with a relaxer. I've heard the horror stories before and even though I've never had a problem I think this scared me off it for good now. Only because I Nair'd my legs the other day and had a HORRIBLE reaction. I've used Nair for years and never had a problem. I'd hate to lose my hair to the iffiness of chemicals.

I wish more of us would follow the directions and do strand tests every time, It seems a waste of time, but it only takes one bad reaction to mess your head up.

Bigen has been my staple for years. It's the only dye that covers my grays that I'm not afraid to use with a relaxer. I've heard the horror stories before and even though I've never had a problem I think this scared me off it for good now. Only because I Nair'd my legs the other day and had a HORRIBLE reaction. I've used Nair for years and never had a problem. I'd hate to lose my hair to the iffiness of chemicals.

I posted in a thread a couple of years ago when this happened to me. Thank God my case wasn't as bad as the lady in the news but I did have itching, bumps and pulse all over my scalp. I had been using Bigen with no problem the prior year and all of a sudden I became allergic to it. I then tried Robert Craig (which is also a powder dye), not knowing it was the PPD I was allergic to, and the very same thing happened. I've since tried a Demi-Permanent color and I was fine but I think this case has scared me away from anything permanent that's not natural.

I'll be sticking to henna/indigo and color rinses.

ETA: Also be careful with Dark n Lovely or any permanent dye for that matter. I thought I read a case where someone actually died from using the D&L a few weeks ago.

I had the same problem with Bigen. Went to the dermatologist where he did a skin test and determined I was allergic to ppd. Had to get shots and take Prednisone. The Dr also told me that each reaction can be worse then the last.
Went to Sally's just today was looking for something to use. I bought Jazzings. So please ladies do the patch test for the entire recommended length of time.

So sad how people feel gray/silver/platinum hair does not look nice:realitycheck:. I love my color change, have learned to embrace and celebrate it. I saw my handsome older brother this Easter with his beautiful silver hair and beard...I noticed how stunning it was and that we have the same color change pattern. I can hardly wait until my color change is as complete as his.

Apparently its the para-phenylenediamine or PPD chemical found in powder hair dye that is giving certain people bad reactions.

Do a patch test.

And from another source:
Bigen Hair dye has a 12.5% PPD content, and may cause severe allergic reactions. 6% is the maximum allowed by FDA law. According to the article above, Dose–time relationships for elicitation of contact allergy to para - phenylenediamine., .01% is sufficient to cause an allergic reaction.

This is the ingredient that is in the so called "Black Henna" which is so poisonous! I am glad this is being brought to the light because a lot of people use the Bigen black thinking it is safer. I used to use in while I was in college with no problems, which is definitely a blessing. People need to know about this.

So sad how people feel gray/silver/platinum hair does not look nice:realitycheck:. I love my color change, have learned to embrace and celebrate it. I saw my handsome older brother this Easter with his beautiful silver hair and beard...I noticed how stunning it was and that we have the same color change pattern. I can hardly wait until my color change is as complete as his.

I think it's beautiful as well :yep:. Eventually I'll embrace it. But not in my 30's, ain't happening.

Back