Big Chop 4bers...How long before reaching shoulder length hair?

How long did it take your natural 4a/b hair to grow to shoulder length?

• 1- 1 1/2years

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • 2- 2 1/2 years

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • 3- 3 1/2 years

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • 4- 4 1/2years

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 years and beyond

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dlove

When I say Big Chop, I mean TWA- starting from scratch. Did it take 2 years? 3 years? 4 ...5 to reach shoulder length?

Just curious and patiently waiting:look:. I want to gage your results and give myself hope.

Was your length measured by simply pulling a small portion of hair to the shoulders or did you straighten it?

Last edited:
I didn't answer your poll because I am not there yet- but if my hair keeps growing at its current rate, and there are no set backs, I think I will be shoulder length by year 2 (6-2009 for me)

I just pulled some of my hair straight to measure it.

Last edited:
It's been 15 months since my last relaxer, and my nape and the section over my ears is SL stretched. I don't know if that helped at all.:lachen:

This is a great thread, though. I was just thinking about my goals and how I have no idea how to set them. This will help me gauge better, too.

I voted 1 1/2 years. I BC-ed last February and I'm just about shoulder BTW i've returned to texlaxing- I'm now aiming for APL by Dec:yep: I straightened and rolled my hair this weekend and I'm very pleased with my progress- I thought my hair was in a resting phase:rolleyes:

I voted 1-1 1/2 yrs. When I first went natural, I got my hair completely shaved off and it took about a year and a couple of months to get to shoulder length, IIRC.

I honestly don't know because I didn't really keep track. But it took me 2 years to go from a BC to bsl. Q

It took me about 19 months to reach SL from twa. It's been 2 1/2 years since my last relaxer and I'm between SL and APL.

I voted 1-1 1/2 years. I didn't BC to bald, but I answered anyway. It's been 12 months since my last relaxer (2 months fully natural). My back hair is already SL, so I'll say I'm a layered SL right now. I'm hoping my sides will reach SL in another 6 months.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses so far.

Ladies, can I safely assume that natural hair retains length better than relaxed hair? I wore a relaxer for 25 years and the longest it got was right between sl and bsl for about 6 months before it broke off. I say this because why does it only take 1-2 years for a person to go from being bald to hair that hangs and swags when a person can wear a relaxer for years and see very little growth- save the scissor happy beautician that cuts all your new growth every time she relaxes your hair.

Last edited:
Back