Big Chop #2 - Going Gray! Any Advice?

Salt-n-MyPepper

Hello LHCF's, I used to be a regular but fell off. I can't even get into my old account or SN, but just as well, 'cause I'm on a new hair journey! I started on here with a relaxer, then gradually came around to wanting to go natural, finally resolved to stop getting relaxer's and BC'd in 2011. 6 years natural and waist length, I'm BC'ing again. I've got all over salt and pepper hair at my roots, and dying it is getting expensive, damaging and I'm just not feeling it anymore.

So, has anyone done the BC for gray hair? Anyone done it and regretted it? Product recs? I'm really serious about this. I've got some friends and family (very similar to the natural hair) on both sides of the fence. But I'm ready. I think.

STOP!
I cringe at the thought of cutting healthy, waist-length natural hair!
(Pardon my strong reaction--I was just half kidding:look:)

But seriously, there must be a workaround to transition without big cutting...Maybe getting bleached streaks/highlights to blend the transition? I really don't know! Maybe others who have actuallyexperienced this can chime in.

At any rate, if you end up deciding to big cut, you can take comfort know that you know how to make your hair long--you've already done it!

Good luck, and welcome back to LHCF!

STOP! I cringe at the thought of cutting healthy, waist-length natural hair!
(Pardon my strong reaction--I was just half kidding:look:)

But seriously, there must be a workaround to transition without big cutting...Maybe getting bleached streaks/highlights to blend the transition? I really don't know! Maybe others who have actuallyexperienced this can chime in.

At any rate, if you end up deciding to big cut, you can take comfort know that you know how to make your hair long--you've already done it!

Good luck, and welcome back to LHCF!
I know, I know! It is a daunting thought. But thanks to the coloring...it ain't THAT healthy! That's part of the reason. I think I need a reset. It's ah-ight, but it's not it's former, glorious non-chemically treated self. It is a little scary. I'm only 45!

Hi Salt-n-MyPepper.

I'm gray but probably not as nice as yours. What type of product recs are you looking for. Since you are already natural do you need anything different than what you are currently using?

I don't want you to big chop and I know I don't know you :lol: Are you just trying to get rid of the dyed ends? I guess that makes sense.

Maybe you can try henna and indigo for a natural dye and then you can let the rest of your hair grow out naturally. Or maybe you can put your hair away a little bit while you wait for it to grow out a bit.

I had something else to say but i forgot it that fast :nono:

I forgot which poster asked but in another thread someone asked how in the world do celebrities keep the grays away and manage to maintain healthy hair. I am a few years younger than you and only have 2 single strands of grays so of course I am not worried about coloring for now. Tracee Ross is in her 40s too I wonder what she does.

I know, I know! It is a daunting thought. But thanks to the coloring...it ain't THAT healthy! That's part of the reason. I think I need a reset. It's ah-ight, but it's not it's former, glorious non-chemically treated self. It is a little scary. I'm only 45!
Red henna would be your best option. But I would big chop, then Henna. You may need to do 2 applications. No other colors, since they will turn your hair green/yellowish tint.

Hello LHCF's, I used to be a regular but fell off. I can't even get into my old account or SN, but just as well, 'cause I'm on a new hair journey! I started on here with a relaxer, then gradually came around to wanting to go natural, finally resolved to stop getting relaxer's and BC'd in 2011. 6 years natural and waist length, I'm BC'ing again. I've got all over salt and pepper hair at my roots, and dying it is getting expensive, damaging and I'm just not feeling it anymore.

So, has anyone done the BC for gray hair? Anyone done it and regretted it? Product recs? I'm really serious about this. I've got some friends and family (very similar to the natural hair) on both sides of the fence. But I'm ready. I think.

Are you going to embrace the grey after you big chop? Or are you going to keep your hair very short?
What products are you using to dye your hair now?
What sort of damage did you end up with?
Protein, moisture, and olaplex-type treatments not helping to restore your hair?

Are you going to embrace the grey after you big chop? Or are you going to keep your hair very short?
Protein, moisture, and olaplex-type treatments not helping to restore your hair?
So a little more background: premature gray runs in the family on one side. Apparently I got the lucky gene. It used to be pretty patchy, but now it's all over. The gray is highly resistant to color, so drugstore products don't work and professional color is too harsh. I found an online brand that really works great, and I haven't experienced any breakage, but it definitely affected my curl pattern and made my shrinkage 10 times worse. When I trim, it's usually about 3 - 5 inches (ok 5 was just once and extreme case) but that's a lot all things considered. So, I'm trying to embrace it.

So a little more background: premature gray runs in the family on one side. Apparently I got the lucky gene. It used to be pretty patchy, but now it's all over. The gray is highly resistant to color, so drugstore products don't work and professional color is too harsh. I found an online brand that really works great, and I haven't experienced any breakage, but it definitely affected my curl pattern and made my shrinkage 10 times worse. When I trim, it's usually about 3 - 5 inches (ok 5 was just once and extreme case) but that's a lot all things considered. So, I'm trying to embrace it.

Oh I see! So the main problem is that you now have tighter curls. What's your original curl type and what is it like now? Is a wash and go your go-to style?

And what causes you to trim more? Does the dye give you split ends? Since you will stop dying, 3 inch trims whenever the need arises might be a better option than a BC, until all the dyed length is gone.

Oh I see! So the main problem is that you now have tighter curls. What's your original curl type and what is it like now? Is a wash and go your go-to style?

And what causes you to trim more? Does the dye give you split ends? Since you will stop dying, 3 inch trims whenever the need arises might be a better option than a BC, until all the dyed length is gone.
My ends are more frazzled and fragile since the color. I don't see them often since my usual go-to is wash n' go. But when I do, it's always a two to three inch need to cut. I don't want two-toned--well, three-toned hair! Lol. Just not a good look IMHO. I tried the slow transition with the natural hair, and I BC'd about six months early because the two textures didn't go well together. Oh, and not all my grays are curly..?

P.S. will probably keep short for a while, then grow out.

how about cutting to APL at first, then you can always buzz if off later.
I know you have grown from short before but now you will be facing two issues, short length and greying.
However if your mind is made up I am sure you will rock it.
Your hair is really nice in that picture.

Your hair is gorgeous. I would gradually trim away the unhealthy hair.

That was good for me to see, but that is a lonnnng journey! I only made it 1.5 years on my natural transition when I BC'd the first time. I definitely could not go three years with two tone hair! I was considering shampooing more often to wash out the color. Permanent dye is not really permanent in my hair--especially on the grays. I will grow it out for about 6 months and see how much hair I have to work with and how gray it really is. I may do a little chop, and then a big chop. Thanks for the feeedback!

Back