Beyond Shrinkage

For anyone whose hair has similar shrinkage, is it possible to not know (or severely underestimate) how long your hair really is when you braid, wash, comb?

In other words, is it possible for someone who has this much shrinkage to simply think they have short hair in the course of taking care of their hair?

My shrinkage is on this level. The fact that my hair is past my shoulders is my delicious little secret. Occasionally (like 2X per year) I will bless the masses with a flat iron effort. Generally i'm bout that wash n go life and my hair shrinks to just below my ears. Further I encourage shrinkage by tucking in the pieces that want to spring out from nowhere. shrinkage is one of our hairs advantages...it's one of the best forms of protection.

For anyone whose hair has similar shrinkage, is it possible to not know (or severely underestimate) how long your hair really is when you braid, wash, comb?

In other words, is it possible for someone who has this much shrinkage to simply think they have short hair in the course of taking care of their hair?

I think I have a lot of shrinkage. I am layered waist length and when I do a wash and go it barely touches my shoulders. I don't think it possible not know your length during your washing/styling because if you are applying product, must of us are stretching our hair to make sure it's coated with product.

She seems to have really low density, so the ends appear thinner than they are. Some people just don't have that fullness. I would trim those last 2 inches to give the illusion of thickness.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I have these issues as well. When I see even a half inch of my ends looking like hers do I cut them wit a quickness. I have low density and fine strands and it looks terrible.

For me it's the opposite. I really do not know how much my hair shrinks because I never let it fully shrink into itself. Throughout my wash and style process I keep my hair stretched and I have yet to attempt a wash and go. So, for me I have no idea how much my hair can actually shrink.

Back