Better Business Bureau?

Porsche19

I was complaining out loud about the fact that Fantasia IC’s leave-in conditioners don’t have a list of ingredients on them. I e-mailed the company asking for them, and I got no response.

This frustrates me because I’ve heard good things about the product. I’ve heard that it is excellent at getting the hair’s cuticles to lay flat and I would love to try/use a product like that.

I just can’t try it because I don’t know what’s in it. Don’t consumers have the right to know exactly what they are buying? What if someone is allergic to one of the ingredients and unknowingly buys it? Or what if someone uses this stuff and it contains an ingredient that they would normally avoid? Isn’t there a law that states that the ingredients must be listed on the bottle?

My mom overheard me basically saying the same thing that I posted above... and she suggested that I tell the Better Business Bureau. Would that help?

Also... please tell me if I’m being ridiculous. I am approaching pissed off territory because they don’t list the ingredients of two products. :whip: Am I taking my hair obsession too far?

I don't think that it's taking it too far. If you're more comfortable knowing, then so be it!

Hopefully, they'll be able to tell you something! :)

I recommed getting in touch with the FDA since they did not and will not provide you with the ingredients list of their product. Check under the heading "Cosmetic". Then click on "Cosmetic labeling and lable claims". Somewhere there should be a number or an email where you can file a compliant. :)

Good Luck

Try this link:
http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/cos-toc.html

If it does not work follow the steps above when using this link:
http://www.fda.gov/

Don't feel foolish. In fact I that's one of the reason why I was hesistant in purchasing that leave-in conditioner. Once I tried then I really had to stop. Something in the concoction was making my scalp itch like crazy.

Hey Porsche19 you would be better off going to a hair store and reading the ingredients of what the product contains. If you want to try the Fantasia IC’s before you buy it then ask for free samples of there product from the company. I know that it is a long shot tying to get these companies to give out their ingredients because most of the time they don’t print every thing they put in it on the bottle. (Prime Example Vioxx)

FDA would not be called in this matter because the shampoo is not a food or drug. The BBB can be called if you used the product and you became bald, burned or you got a bad rash.

I hoped this helped

Well I'd like to find out what's in it too.....because whatever is in there jacked my hair up! Thank God I didn't buy it, my sister hated it and gave me the bottle. Something in there made my hair extrememly crunchy and oily.

the ingredients aren't listed but they make reference to aloe and B vitamins in the product description. I always dilute with 1:1 water.

Miz_Complexity said:
Hey Porsche19 you would be better off going to a hair store and reading the ingredients of what the product contains. If you want to try the Fantasia IC’s before you buy it then ask for free samples of there product from the company. I know that it is a long shot tying to get these companies to give out their ingredients because most of the time they don’t print every thing they put in it on the bottle. (Prime Example Vioxx)

FDA would not be called in this matter because the shampoo is not a food or drug. The BBB can be called if you used the product and you became bald, burned or you got a bad rash.

I hoped this helped

The thing is I can't look at the ingredeints because they aren't on the bottle. I won't sample it if I don't know what's in it... what happens if it has alcohol or something in it that I would not put into my hair.

Every hair product that I've seen has a list of ingredients, except for this one. I suspect that there is some kind of law or regulation which requires the ingredients of certain products to be given to the consumer. Just like with food.. you'd have to list the ingredients, you do the same for health/beauty products. Go take a look at your hair and skin products and see which ones don't have any ingredients. Even if there is ONE ingredient, it has to be listed.

Example: my tube of cocoa butter says... Ingredients:Cocoa butter :)

Imagine if they didn't do that. We wouldn't know what we are buying.

Vioxx is a medication, not a hair product and may not be under the same rules as other products. Even so when I buy my medications, it lists the active and inactive ingredients and it's safe to assume that they were listed in vioxx as well. The problem with vioxx is that they tested it and it showed that it was bad for the heart/they didn't take enough time to test it, but still made it available to the public NOT because they didn't list certain ingredients.

:wave:

Don't bother guys....

A few of us went through this before and the company has registered it's ingredients list for the product as a trade secret - the formulation of the product is protected under something akin to intellectual property laws.... (think copyrights and patents).....

It's crappy that they're not answering emails tho...

But they won't and they are not required by law, to give the list of ingredients.

HTH

~Tracy

From the first link you provided Porsche:

"The law allows a manufacturer to ask FDA to grant "trade secret" status for a particular ingredient. FDA grants this status under vary limited circumstances and after careful review of the manufacturer's data. The manufacturer must prove that the ingredient imparts some unique property to a product and that the ingredient is not well-known in the industry. If trade secret status is granted, the ingredient does not have to be listed on the label, but the list must end with the phrase "and other ingredients.""

ETA: Also - there are also provisions that deal with "combinations" of ingredients, which is what would apply to the IC products.....

Sassy - I know, they're fulla BS, but hey, the law is the law.....and they just aren't required to list them. :ohwell:

Last edited:
Tracy said:
From the first link you provided Porsche:

"The law allows a manufacturer to ask FDA to grant "trade secret" status for a particular ingredient. FDA grants this status under vary limited circumstances and after careful review of the manufacturer's data. The manufacturer must prove that the ingredient imparts some unique property to a product and that the ingredient is not well-known in the industry. If trade secret status is granted, the ingredient does not have to be listed on the label, but the list must end with the phrase "and other ingredients.""

ETA: Also - there are also provisions that deal with "combinations" of ingredients, which is what would apply to the IC products.....

Sassy - I know, they're fulla BS, but hey, the law is the law.....and they just aren't required to list them. :ohwell:

So does the mean that EVERY ingredient is a trade secret, i.e. not commonly known in the business...because to my knowledge, none of the ingredients are listed on the bottles? Am I wrong?

If I remember correctly they list an ingredient or two somewhere...but generally yeah...

But if some of the products combined ingredients can make up some sort of a "unique formula", they are granted the trade secret protection....

Almost like the Colonel's Original Recipe... (I think, if their recipe is still getting trade secret protection)....the entire RECIPE gets the protection....

Same thing here.

In this case it wouldn't be the ingreidents considered one by one getting protection, it would be the "formula"...the "recipe" - the ingreidents in combination with one another that's recieving the protection.

Miz_Complexity said:

FYI, FDA will intervene on this one because they deal with the cosmetic industry also which includes makeup, lotions, shampoo, relaxers, etc. Anything that goes on the body. :) If for example people are catching major reactions like with the Copa relaxer, FDA will request for the product to be recalled.

HTH

Last edited:
Back