Best route to WL

dyh080

After reading some threads about heat and noticing many WL who either use heat or relaxer I have a question. Although there are some WL unstraightened heads, do you think it is easier to get to WL while having straight 4 type hair than leaving it kinky?

Another reason I ask this is because some expert ( name I don't remember) said that natural hairs can rub against each other and cause friction, damage and breakage.

So again, is it easier to retain length when the natural hair is straighter?

Let me just start by saying, my hair has never been longer than 6-7 inches. The reason it never grew longer is because of my love affair with scissors, :nono: but I digress.

Even at that length, I had to keep it semi-straightened to avoid tangling and excessive manipulation on a daily basis.

You don't have to relax or put heat on your hair to achieve a semi-straightened state. As long as you braid, twist, or plait your hair while wet and allow it to air-dry, your hair will dry somewhat straightened and thus easier to manage, style and retain length. HTH

Well I can see how straightening can help with reducing snagging and tangles. My hair seems to retain length better when partially straightened... I guess its just a matter of each individuals hair really...

i hope others come and chime in *clears throat* Blackmasterpiece :lol:

my general observation is that type 4s can grow to WL while keeping it kinky. this girl is living proof:

YouTube - washing my hair and length check pt 1

note however, that she keeps her hair in twists 99% of the time--so it's possible.

now if you're not into hard core protective styling, i think some kind of stretching is necessary to achieve WL as a type 4 be it relaxers, heat, or texturizing.

Back