Best Relaxer: Looking for Bounce & Shine

Lady Esquire

I have used Mizani the last two relaxers, and Affirm before that. Now that I have been rollersetting for the passed few months, I notice that I do not have the bounce that I would like, no matter how nice the rollerset comes out. I am 4a/4b.

What relaxers are you using? Also indicate whether it is lye or no lye, because after all my reading, I am still confused as hell over the lye/no lye debate...lol. Thanks guys.;)

What Mizani were you using?

I use the Mizani Lye for fine/color treated and it works great... is the strength you're using to strong... or maybe Mizani just doesn't work for you...

I just used ORS lye last night for the 1st time from the raves on this board and I am in love - I was using Motions lye and thought I had found the holy grail BUT ORS has Motions beat by a long shot! :up:

Silk Elements Mild and Elucence Regular are what Ive been using for the past few months. Both leave my hair with incredible bounce. Maybe you are putting too much product on your hair when you're rollersetting, because my rollersets always come out bouncy because I only use water and leave-in.

BTW, both are lye relaxers.:)

I have been getting my hair relaxed with Design Essentials Lo Lye http://www.designessentials.com/de/page.jsp?s=113&p=52
For me this has been one of the best relaxers for my hair, and I do not see myself switching anytime soon.

I really haven't really educated myself on the whole lye or no-lye thing, so my choice of design essentials was based on how effective it was on my hair especially after a few disappointing tries with Mizani, and not on the fact that's in Lo Lye.

MzRhonda said:
I just used ORS lye last night for the 1st time from the raves on this board and I am in love - I was using Motions lye and thought I had found the holy grail BUT ORS has Motions beat by a long shot! :up:

Hello MzRhonda. I see that you went ahead and tried it out and thats great to hear that you liked it. I have been using silk elements no-lye and my next relaxer I am going to switch to ORS. I have been debating if I want to stick with the no-lye or try and see how I like a lye relaxer and if it would be better for my hair. I have heard nothing, but good things about the ORS lye vs. no-lye. I want to body, bounce and shine that everyone is getting from this relaxer.;)

mrshicks2002 said:
Hello MzRhonda. I see that you went ahead and tried it out and thats great to hear that you liked it. I have been using silk elements no-lye and my next relaxer I am going to switch to ORS. I have been debating if I want to stick with the no-lye or try and see how I like a lye relaxer and if it would be better for my hair. I have heard nothing, but good things about the ORS lye vs. no-lye. I want to body, bounce and shine that everyone is getting from this relaxer.;)

I was a no lye user for many years prior to finding LHCF several years ago and due to what I learned here I switched to lye a few years ago and have not gone back. The difference I saw was that my hair was no longer dull, dry and lifeless.

HTH.

MsDee4 said:
What Mizani were you using?

I use the Mizani Lye for fine/color treated and it works great... is the strength you're using to strong... or maybe Mizani just doesn't work for you...
It was probably regular or super...got 'em done by stylists. you are right, they may have been too strong. when i need a relaxer, my hair appears to be rougher/coarser than it really it is...and they may be using strengths that are too much for me.

I have recently switched from affirm to silk elements regular lye.. So far this is the best bounce I have had in life and my hair is silky to the touch. I love And would recommend it.

MzRhonda said:
I was a no lye user for many years prior to finding LHCF several years ago and due to what I learned here I switched to lye a few years ago and have not gone back. The difference I saw was that my hair was no longer dull, dry and lifeless.

HTH.

Thanks. I think I am going to give it a try when its time for me to relax.

Same here. Just switched from Phyto II to SE regular lye and lovin the silky bounce and swang.:notworthy SE is my new idol. ha, ha.:D

I am more confused than ever! I read Kaddy's thread that compiled all the info about Phyto, so I am tempted to try that.

May 06 - Optimum No Lye (self relaxer - underprocessed)
July 06 - ORS No Lye (self relaxer - underprocessed)
Oct 06 - Affirm Lye (salon - processed) - this girl was so good but I moved :(

Jan 07 - Mizani (salon - over processed) New to ATL
Apr 07 - Mizani (salon - over processed) New to ATL

When I self-relaxed, I loved the body I maintained. So, I have definitely committed to the decision to go back to self-relaxing...even if my hair is permanently texlaxed. But the no lye matted something awful. In retrospect, I have revamped my regi since then, and I do a lot of things differently now, which has eliminated matting. So, I suspect a lot of the matting was due to my regi and not so much the fact the relaxer was a "no lye"...this is just speculation though. With that, I still think I am now ready to retry no lye again, seeing as how now I am a bit more knowledgeable.

Since, Phyto claims to not have the calcium deposits that sit on the hair, maybe this is the best of both worlds????

To those of you who switched to or from Phyto, share your reasons and results. Thank you so much.

Last edited:
LadyEsquire said:
It was probably regular or super...got 'em done by stylists. you are right, they may have been too strong. when i need a relaxer, my hair appears to be rougher/coarser than it really it is...and they may be using strengths that are too much for me.

This is one of my issues. When I say my hair doesn't need a "strong" relaxer, I get the eye roll. My hair is not resistant to relaxers at all, and I don't believe the level of resistance has much to do with the texture. A lot of kinkier-haired sisters are getting super or regular, when a regular or mild would do just fine.

I recently put a ORS lye relaxer in my hair and I wish I had pictures because this relaxer is really great. I thought it wasn't working when my scalp didn't burn after 16 minutes. My hair is very silky and soft and the ORS conditioner is fantastic. I was truly pleased with my results and of course the $7.99 price tag.

I think you'll be getting a whole lot of different answers for this!

Personally, I'm a phytoII head. Its the one I don't burn from and I get plenty of bounce and shine, my hair is never dry from this relaxer, and I've used since I came here. Hair was above my hears, its now close to APL.

But, there's gonna be people that absolutely abhor it and/or had a pretty horrible time with it.

I personally can't use lye based relaxers because they tear my scalp way up! But there's people out there that LOVE them because they get nice moisterized hair and no sores (and they so lucky!)

Some people can switch back and forth and never have a problem going either way (and they're the true lucky folks!!)

I think anytime a person decides to switch their relaxer they should also do plenty of research to see if it will do what they want, and is the right type for their hair.

Though, have to admit phyto is a little pricey for a simple strand test that may or maynot work out..but still that would have to be your choice.

-A

CAPlush said:
This is one of my issues. When I say my hair doesn't need a "strong" relaxer, I get the eye roll. My hair is not resistant to relaxers at all, and I don't believe the level of resistance has much to do with the texture. A lot of kinkier-haired sisters are getting super or regular, when a regular or mild would do just fine.

ITA w/this! Going to the salon back in middle school and high school, the stylist would look at my new growth and think I needed a regular or super and leave it on 25+ min till I cried. My hair texture is so fine, it feels "like a white girls" lol. But they saw kinky and lost their minds, not even realizing that the texture they saw wasn't even all over my whole head--I had balding patches on my sides as a result. Nowadays I'd never consider straying from a mild lye relaxer. My results are way better and I have hair :grin: .

ETA: @ OP--I was using Motions Mild this whole time, and recently switched to Mizani Mild. The jury is still out on that one as I've only used it once, but my hair is noticebly thicker and after I style my hair I have bouncy goodness lol!

Last edited:
Hello all, I am a newbie. I recently purchased Hawaiian Silky no-lye relaxer, and I was wondering if any of you guys have used it or known anyone who has used it, and how the results turned out. Prior to this my stylist was using affirm, but I feel no need to take an $85 trip to the salon for a touch up.

CAPlush said:

Couldn't have said this better myself. When I was a stylist I had to convince people mild will work for almost any hair. And usually it didn't for hair that was really curly not kinky/nappy. A simple strand test never hurt anybody. I think I was ahead of my time...

Anyway OP, glad you found something you like!

Back