Best Relaxer for Virgin Hair

maya07

Hey everybody....it's been awhile (a long while) since I've been on LHCF. But I am going into the next phase of my hair journey. I transitioned to natural, because I wanted to start all over. I cut off all the severely damaged hair and started anew. I have spent a year deep conditioning, air drying and hiding my hair. The moisturizing thing kind of escaped me, though:ohwell:, which is bad because my hair is the driest hair I have ever felt. Anyhow, because I love to wear my hair super straight and I know better how to take care of relaxed hair (I think) ....I am ready to relax. I don't know much about relaxers themselves though. I just want to pick the best relaxer for my hair. My hair is 3b/3c, wavy/curly and super soft(thank you KeraCare!), it gets terribly dry, my curls give new meaning to a straw set. Any info or advice on caring for or which relaxer to choose is greatly appreciated. I will not self-apply, but my fave hair stylist, Mom, will be doing that part. Thanks for all input.

Also, in my hey day I used Dark and Lovely, Soft and Beautiful and Gentle Beginnings No-Lye...all Supers. and did not like them at all. My hair was always dry and Dark and Lovely took out alot of my hair.

For my next relaxer I am going to be using ORS there have been a lot of rave reviews about it here on the board do a search

My hair is 3c, fine and super-dry. The relaxer that worked best for me was Affirm Fiberguard Mild. If your hair is very dry, you may want to try doing a couple of moisturizing deep conditioners in the weeks before you relax.

when i went back to using chemicals, i started using Organics by Africa's Best line... lots of good oils and proteins are in there and it can be found easily at your local walmart or kmart...

I use ORS and i LOVE it!!! Best relaxer I have ever used. Back when i first got relaxed when I was 17, my stylist used Elasta QP and that was great too. Quick note though, maybe you should try a mild or normal relaxer. Does anyone ever really need Super?

Thank you so much for the advice, I have been advised to use mild, lye relaxer. I will definitely deep condition up some more before the relaxer this weekend. Thanks again.:yawn:

SqrpioQutie- did you apply your relaxer yourself of did you use a stylist?

Sorry for the hijack.

Affirm,Namaste and ORS all have done great for her.

My next relaxer will be using Namaste done by beautician.

SqrpioQutie- did you apply your relaxer yourself of did you use a stylist?

Sorry for the hijack.

i applied/apply it myself... i have a bad track record with asserting myself with stylists so i cut them out of the equation for chemical services...

I don't know why they make super strength relaxers. That has potential for more damage.:ohwell: ORS and Africa Best have been good to me in the past.

I'd get myself to a good level of conditioning before relaxing. Putting a relaxer on dry/strawlike hair is asking for breakage of the highest degree. So, do a series of deep conditionings before relaxing.
As for which relaxer, I favor Phyto. If you want to go lye, I'd use Vitale or Elasta QP. Make sure you do a strand test before applying and use a mild relaxer.

Back