~~~Best/Healthiest Way To Blowdry???~~~~

PrettyBlackHair

I'm in a situation wear I am going to HAVE to blowdry for a special event ( a pageant) and I need some blow drying tips. This will be like the once in a billion time I actually blowdry (I dont even own a blowdryer lol) but I still want it to have the least amount of damage on my hair as possible.....Any suggestions??? PLEASE ladies!!!:perplexed

I always start with hair thats at least 75-80% dry. I spray just a bit of a heat protectant on freshly towel dried hair (mostly on the ends, but still just a little) and then sit under the hood dryer first for about 10 minutes under a low heat. Then I add just a dime sized portion (or less) of ORS Olive Oil hairdress (from the bottle, not the jar) and distribute throughout my whole head. Then I section and dry my hair in those sections (about 4). I use a paddle brush to help straighten and smooth my hair as I dry (and since it's almost dry, it doesn't pull or snag too much). I keep the nozzle at least 5-6 inches away from my hair at all times and I always blow down the direction the hair grows (using the paddle brush to keep it from flying all up in the air) to keep the cuticle layer on the hair smooth. I use the low setting, not the higher heat one. When I am done with a section I blow down the hair again with a "cool shot" (most dryers have this) to actually close the cuticle. It takes me about 25-30 minutes to do my whole head after I get out from under the dryer and my hair is usually very bouncy and shiny from doing it like this. Hope this helps.

I always start with hair thats at least 75-80% dry. I spray just a bit of a heat protectant on freshly towel dried hair (mostly on the ends, but still just a little) and then sit under the hood dryer first for about 10 minutes under a low heat. Then I add just a dime sized portion (or less) of ORS Olive Oil hairdress (from the bottle, not the jar) and distribute throughout my whole head. Then I section and dry my hair in those sections (about 4). I use a paddle brush to help straighten and smooth my hair as I dry (and since it's almost dry, it doesn't pull or snag too much). I keep the nozzle at least 5-6 inches away from my hair at all times and I always blow down the direction the hair grows (using the paddle brush to keep it from flying all up in the air) to keep the cuticle layer on the hair smooth. I use the low setting, not the higher heat one. When I am done with a section I blow down the hair again with a "cool shot" (most dryers have this) to actually close the cuticle. It takes me about 25-30 minutes to do my whole head after I get out from under the dryer and my hair is usually very bouncy and shiny from doing it like this. Hope this helps.

If I ever blow dry again, I will try this method. Thanks!

I got this method from www.hairoil.com hair guide/techniques and it has worked well for me.

I apply a leave-in (Lacio-Lacio) to wet/damp hair and I seal with a light coating of Vatika oil. My hair is already divided into 4 section (2 front & 2 back) b/c I poo and DC that way. Anyway, I pin up all the sections with clamps or Good Days hair pins making sure to tuck the ends of my hair under the section before pinning so that they don't dry out. Then I divide one of the sections into 2 sections- I pin one while I dry the other.

I set my blow dryer on a very low setting and I don't use attachments. I hold the ends of my hair and protect it with my hand while I hold the hair taut- I don't pull hard- put I gently stretch the section of hair and pass the blowdryer over the hair. The dryer is about 4 to 6 inches away from the hair and its on low. I have a Tourmaline dryer. I dry the shaft about 95 % but only dry the ends about 85% then I go on my way or scarf/bonnet for the night.

If you are curling with an iron or flat ironing you need to dry all the way before using the irons.

I do all the sections like this until I've done my whole head. HTH

Last edited:
I got this method from www.hairoil.com hair guide/techniques and it has worked well for me.

I apply a leave-in (Lacio-Lacio) to wet/damp hair and I seal with a light coating of Vatika oil. My hair is already divided into 4 section (2 front & 2 back) b/c I poo and DC that way. Anyway, I pin up all the sections with clamps or Good Days hair pins making sure to tuck the ends of my hair under the section before pinning so that they don't dry out. Then I divide one of the sections into 2 sections- I pin one while I dry the other.

I set my blow dryer on a very low setting and I don't use attachments. I hold the ends of my hair and protect it with my hand while I hold the hair taut- I don't pull hard- put I gently stretch the section of hair and pass the blowdryer over the hair. The dryer is about 4 to 6 inches away from the hair and its on low. I have a Tourmaline dryer. I dry the shaft about 95 % but only dry the ends about 85% then I go on my way or scarf/bonnet for the night.

If you are curling with an iron or flat ironing you need to dry all the way before using the irons.

OMG good idea!!! :drunk: Thanks!!

This is pretty much what I do and I do not experience any breakage.

Sistaslick says that you should blowdry downwards. Don't point the blowdryer directly at or up at your hair, point it down. I think she also said to blowdry on high for the first half and then use cool for the last half. HTH!

Back