Best Brand of Wigs

MsMontoute

Hi Ladies,
I know that wigs are hot in the summer but I am strongly considering
getting a long full wig to wear during the winter to get my hair and break and some TLC. Yes, I am thinking ahead ladies!!! :grin:

I have been looking on line at Hair Sisters, Ebonyline and Clair Hair. I can definitely pick out the styles that I like but I don’t know which brands are better than others, what should I be looking for (combs, clips, snap and go, pure stretch..etc). :spinning:

With respect to wearing the wig, I have been told that I should moisture my hair good and wear a satin cap underneath my wig cap and then put the wig on. Also, when I receive the wig in the packaging, I should turn the wig inside out, spray the fibers with wig spray and put it on the head for a could days before wearing to prepare the shape and get rid of the bump. What else should I know?

With respect to maintaining the wig, I am getting a synthetic one to start and if I love it, I will invest more in the nest purchase, but $20+ was my starting point…LOL Any special care that I should do with my wig to keep it looking nice. The one I bought is a little long so I may trim it up a little bit but it is cute.

Any other advice that you have for the first time wig wearer would be greatly appreciated :grin:

The best brand of wig really varies from person to person. Different people like different aspects of the wig (combs, cap construction, hair quality etc). Generally, I find Modu/Anytime, Sensationnel and Its a Wig wigs to be a good brand. I also like Freetress (although their straight wigs can look kinda cheap). The only brands I don't like are Eve and some of the Beverly Johnson synthetics.

Before I wear my new wig, unless it is a curly wig(DONT DO THIS WITH CURLY WIGS), I wash the hair with a little bit of apple cider vinegar and a lot of water and let it dry on a wig head. It helps reduce the sheen. If the sheen needs to be further reduced I pat some baby powder on my hands and run my hands threw the wig head.

I am no wig expert but I do have a few half wigs & full wigs. I like Outre & Sensationnel so far and I have a couple of styles by Freetress (ponytails) & a few others (Modu, Pazazz, Vanessa, Beverly Johnson & Janet Collection).

http://public.fotki.com/RegsWife/experimenting-with-/

http://public.fotki.com/RegsWife/using-a-half-wig/

For the winter, I do typically oil my hair and use a wig cap since I do find the wig cap drying. I use the hoisery type of cap, not satin.

I would advise you to shop locally to try on styles, even if you buy on-line. Some styles look great on-line but in person they are just NOT what is pictured on the model.

One thing that I have noticed is that #2 is different for every brand (some too brown and others to black). I also have noticed that 1b/30, s1b/30 and FS1b/30 are very different (highlights, streaks like piano hair & frosted). I have yet to order a 2 tone wig on-line but have seen a few ladies end up with a color that was totally unexpected. I bought my colored wig locally (Modu #107).

I wash my wigs (synthetics) in fabric softener before wearing them. I let them drip dry and then store them in bags or on wig heads. The powder trick has never worked for me so I just use fabric softener to dull any shine.

Don't use human hair products, i.e., oil sheen, on synthetic wigs. It will cause the wig to attract dirt/dust and look dull/dusty. After a few wears, I wash my synthetic wigs in cool water, not warm or hot. They are plastic so I don't want any mishaps. I just dip them in the basin (already filled with a bit of wig shampoo), swish for a few times, and then let rinse in a basin of clean, cool water. Let the wig drip dry, don't wring it out or twist it. Don't comb a wet wig and don't put a wet wig on the wig head (the cap can stretch out).

DeMert wig conditioner is good to get out tangles & to give the wig some shine when needed.

Thank you soo much!! For not being a wig expert, this was extremely helpful! I will let you all know how my first wig wearing goes!

I wear wigs from time to time (just ordered 3 more this weekend).

For me, I can't wear the stocking cap underneath the wig b/c it takes my nape out, so the satin cap (or no cap at all) will be my option.

The combs in the back of the wig also take my nape out, so i will be taking the comb out and will be sewing in wig clips (that you can get at Sally's).

Because I always have problems with the nape of my synthetic wig getting tangled, I will be sewing a short row of human hair track there instead. This way, the wig will last longer.

One thing I've found about Sensationnel wigs is that the wig comb in the front is EXTREMELY long. Just something to be aware of.

I also use baby power on synthetic wigs to reduce the shine.. I can't stand when people wear wigs that tI can see my reflection in.:ohwell:

ETA: As far as best wigs, like the other posters said it depends.
I do like Sensationnel, Outre and Model Model (the synthetic lace) which I tried (coincidentally) because of naturaltobe (above). Thanks girl! LOL.

Hi. I wear wigs about >95% of the time, so I have had quite a bit of trial and error. The Freetress Equal Wigs have been the best for me so far. They don't look as wiggy as they look online. No matter what you decide with wigs, try before you buy! Don't buy a wig just because it looks good on someone else. Buy it because it looks good on you!
Model Outre wigs are good, Sensationnel are good too.

Hi Ladies,
I am thrilled because I got my first wig in the mail last night. It was the Model Model Diva, I bought it from Clair Hair. When I first put it on, I have to say that I wasn't sure because it was too long (in my opinion). I actually decided to cut off 2 inches and then I put it on my head and shaped it a little how I wanted it to look. I have to tell you that I was SUPER EXCITED. It looks so cute, I just got my new Dell Studio 15 Pink Laptip ( SO CUTE) and I am going to upload the software tonight and I will try and post a picture. I will agree with Demi, I hate it when it is too shiny, so I am going to do the vinegar spritz to decrease the shine and get it going.

Thanks for all of your help ladies!! I will post a pic soon!

Wig Diva checking in. IA best brands is really a subjective thing. I happen to love outre and sensationnel half wigs, and I love the Sensationnel (synthetic) lace wigs. I always trim my wigs to APL length, probably because that is my ultimate goal length, lol.

Can't wait to see your pictures. And the ladies are right, a nice soak will get rid of the dreaded shine.

Back