Benefits of Stretching

DominicanBrazilian82

Hey beauties!!! I am a relaxed 4a/b in the first few months of my hair journey. I have learned a lot about ways to gain retention and maintain moisture levels that my hair desperately needs. One thing that truly puzzles me is the concept of stretching your relaxer. My Mom did hair for a long time and used to tell me that if I didn't keep a strict routine (6-8 weeks) my hair would break more.

So I guess my real question is what are the benefits that YOU'VE experienced from stretching?

I stretch usually 16-24 weeks. This last stretch was 26 weeks. I just notice its a lot thicker, I can better see my ng so no risk of double processing my previously relaxed hair, less chemical processes during the year.

One benefit foe me:
By relaxing 2-3 times a year I reduce the amount of times my scalp gets burned or irritated by the relaxer process.

I relax every six months. I don't have chemicals on my scalp all the time. And it's easier to only have to relax twice a year.

From what I've seen on most people who stretch - overall thicker hair over time. There is a member here (lawd her screen name is escaping me, I'll come back and edit when I remember) whose hair has thickened up significantly from not relaxing for like a year I believe. Also, the more you stretch - the less exposure your scalp has to chemicals. She stretches by use of protective styles.

If I continue to relax, I'd def relax only twice a year and wear sew ins for the latter part of my stretch. I know for myself, my hair has thinned out considerably from relaxing every 8 weeks. It wasn't noticeable right away, but def over time it was.

I typically stretch 20 weeks. The benefits are that I have less exposure to chemicals, I lessen my chances of double processing my hair because I can distinctly see my new growth, and my hair has thickened back up.

As long as you make sure your new growth is well moisturized and take care of that line of demarcation between your new growth and previously relaxed hair, there should be no breakage from stretching that long. :yep:

I relax 3 times a year - every 4 months. I have personally gained thicker relaxed tresses due to stretching. Also, I don't relax 'bone' straight either, so that also contibutes to the thickness. Like other posters have said, stretching your relaxer definintely allows you to actually see your new growth vs. the relaxer hair. So when it comes time for the touchup, there is less chance of overlapping to previously relaxed hair. The hardest part for me has been managing the ng and the line of demarcation during the last few weeks of the stretch. But i've learned to love bunning and other protective styling, so its no longer much of an issue.

I also stretch for 16 weeks at a time. Years of d-i-y relaxers every 5-6 weeks without fail and severe overprocessing and overlapping ended up with me having extremely fragile thin see-thru hair that broke when u looked at it. My sister led me to this forum and the first thing i added to my journey was stretching. I built myself up to 16 weeks and am slowly building to twenty. I would like to only relax twice a year. The result? My hair has regained its former childhood thickness and has grown tremendously. It is healthier than it has been in years.:yep:

It is soooo much easier to relax it yourself when u can clearly see the new growth, no more overprocessing! I also want to add that in the past, stylists also overlapped and overprocessed my hair, which is where I learned it from :nono:

As others stated, you just have to really baby your hair during a stretch and take it slow at first. HTH!

What are you guys moisturizing with during the stretches?

Deep in a stretch if my NG is feeling very dry and crunchy, I use scurl and seal with my shea butter mix (unrefined shea butter, vitamin e, coconut oil, with fragrance added) This is pretty heavy, but works great for really dry ng between cowashes :yep:

If it is not too dry but just needs a boost, I spritz my moisture spray mix (aloe vera juice +rosewater:lick:) and seal with just coconut oil

pinkness27 Darcy's Botanicals Transitioning Creme. Honestly The BEST product I have ever bought for my hair. I moisturize after airdrying in 1-2inch sections so I ensure that i covered my whole scalp & Newgrowth. Then within the week it stays soft and moist.

For me, my moisturizing begins during the wash. I use a moisturizing shampoo and follow up with a super moisturizing DC (Silicon Mix, ORS Hair Repair, AO White Camellia). I have to take care to directly put the DC on my new growth (it takes time!). I follow up with a leave in (Jane Carter Solution Revitalizing Leave In) and place Qhemet Biologics AOHC or Darcy Botanicals Transitioning Cream directly onto my new growth and allow my hair to air dry. Keeps my hair nice and moisturized until my next wash. :yep:

I too use the cleansing and deep condish step for moisture. When I'm done I use my Kimmaytibe leave in but this is where my routine gets unpopular.

My secret weapon is the use of cones to seal. I only do it deep into my stretch when my hair first starts to misbehave.

However, I only use cones as needed :look:

I follow my regular cleanse and condish routine.

Then for detangling -

If my hair is matted I use my kimmaytube leave in (as usual) and then biosilk silk therapy to smooth the cuticle and seal in moisture.

I then style into a protective up do (I use styling aides if needed... not for moisture but for a polished finish) and leave my hair untouched until it's time to wash again.

The next time I wash I will use a cleanser that removes cones and skip the bio silk step. I'll keep skipping the bio silk step until my hair starts to tangle again then repeat.

This really helps me stretch. Cones are not permanent. They wash out overtime and I've found that If I pay very close attention to how I use them they are very helpful.

Last edited:
Back