Being Still?

Whisper

Hello All,

I watched a sermon this week and it focused on praying and listening to Gods answer. The pastor touched on something and I realized an error in my prayer life:nono:. He said to be still before God after praying....not to pray and jump up without hearing what God had to say about it. It sounds like common sense but I havent been doing that. I have yet to be still, how?

Please offer any advice that you can on how to be still as I tried last night and my mind was in never never land :spinning: Thank you as I desire a deeper relationship and it wont happen with me speaking all the time and not listening. 101's are welcome :grin:

yes bump! I too have been praying about something major to me. i remember being told this before, but im always in a rush to do what i think im supposed to do. when does God usually give his ok?

I attempt to do this in a mirade of ways.
You just have to force your self to be patient and REMEMBER God already knows everything.
I pray, I mean I pray through and then I just listen. and if I don't hear anything after a while, my heavenly languauage might come up so then I begin to speak in tongues. While that is going on something interesting usually happens. random thoughts stop. my attention is no where. and then I will see an impression (vision) or words will come out of my own mouth which would be a word from God. Sometimes I will start my prayer off by asking God a question and I listen. He answers.
I love the voice of my God!
Being still is an art. practice makes perfect. You can still hear from God when you are busy.
His revelations are mind blowing. . . the best thing in the world to me is to hear His voice.

Set aside time to worship and sing "your own song" to God and listen to the words that are coming out of your mouth.

Also pay attention be present. Pay attention to your dreams, other noise in the room. God is a talker! You will know the difference because you wouldn't have thought that up in a million years. His word will leap in your spirit it is rhema.

You just have to force your self to be patient and REMEMBER God already knows everything.
I pray, I mean I pray through and then I just listen. and if I don't hear anything after a while, my heavenly languauage might come up so then I begin to speak in tongues. While that is going on something interesting usually happens. random thoughts stop. my attention is no where. and then I will see an impression (vision) or words will come out of my own mouth which would be a word from God. Sometimes I will start my prayer off by asking God a question and I listen. He answers.
Being still is an art. practice makes perfect. You can still hear from God when you are busy.
His revelations are mind blowing. . . the best thing in the world to me is to hear His voice.

Set aside time to worship and sing "your own song" to God and listen to the words that are coming out of your mouth.

Also pay attention be present. Pay attention to your dreams, other noise in the room. God is a talker! You will know the difference because you wouldn't have thought that up in a million years. His word will leap in your spirit it is rhema.
OOH that sounds juicy:grin: Thanks much for this insight. I like how you mention that being still is an art, because I have felt that way.

Last edited:

Thank you for these tips, I will definitely meditate on this .. I'm in the practice stages of learning to be still. My mind wanders constantly and I sometimes get frustrated because I feel my inner distractions me from hearing God's voice as much as a I could. But I'm learning to rest in God's patience and grace and not rely on my own strength. I also think back on other times He's spoken to me and my faith is increased. I've also realized that God is speaking to me often but I do not always decipher His voice.

I'm reading the book John Eldredge "Walking with God" - Talk to Him. Hear from Him. Really. which journals his inner struggles and walk with God for a year. He also gives similar advice to what you detailed above with practical ways to commune with God in our devotional times.. including asking Him what to read in the Word and asking Him direct questions that we need answered.

I had to check in and thank gn1g for her advice, I did a mini-fast yesterday and prayed during my lunch break and it was easier to find that place in the Spirit this time. God spoke to me something that I need to meditate on... a combination of a picture and words. I have faith that as I stay patient and continue to seek the Lord the hearing process will become easier and easier.. from a trickle, to a stream, to a river. It's exciting to know that God wants to speak to and through us if we take time to listen and seek His face.

One thing my pastor said last night that sticks out to me is that the supernatural works of God can only flow from our faith in His peace and love at work within us. We must be at peace to consistently hear from Him.. and if we aren't, examine yourself and pray until peace comes..

Thank you for these tips, I will definitely meditate on this .. I'm in the practice stages of learning to be still. My mind wanders constantly and I sometimes get frustrated because I feel my inner distractions me from hearing God's voice as much as a I could. But I'm learning to rest in God's patience and grace and not rely on my own strength. I also think back on other times He's spoken to me and my faith is increased. I've also realized that God is speaking to me often but I do not always decipher His voice.

I'm reading the book John Eldredge "Walking with God" - Talk to Him. Hear from Him. Really. which journals his inner struggles and walk with God for a year. He also gives similar advice to what you detailed above with practical ways to commune with God in our devotional times.. including asking Him what to read in the Word and asking Him direct questions that we need answered.

Joyce Meyers addressed this once she said that everytime she would go to pray or read the word that her mind would fill up with what she forgot to do and what she needs to do so she started going to pray or read her word with a notepad and pen and it use to help her make her todo list. Jot down the thought quickly and go back to praying.

Funny I HAVE no problem being still once I am there

my battle is to get to where I AM being still in turmoil, but once there its so beautiful to see and watch how God works:yep:

Having a daily journal helps. When you are sitting still waiting to hear from the Lord, begin to write down how you are feeling, or what were your thoughts as you were praying, etc. You will find that soon, you will know the voice of the Lord and realize that its not so hard to hear from Him afterall.

Bless you.

N&W

Sometimes I just sit and smile. I think about how awesome God is and all the ways He has blessed me. And yes I wait until I feel the time is right to open my mouth. As soon as you hit your knees you will be in the presence of the Lord. The bible says that in the presence of the Lord is fullness of joy and that's why I just smile. I am just happy and full of the joy of the Lord. I know I am safe, protected and in the everlasting arms of my father. Kind of like a baby being held. Just take your time and trust God to move. The more you do it, the easier it will be for you. Just know there is no rush. That is your personal, intimate time with the Lord. It will become a habit for you and you will look forward to your time with Him. HTH Q

Having a daily journal helps. When you are sitting still waiting to hear from the Lord, begin to write down how you are feeling, or what were your thoughts as you were praying, etc. You will find that soon, you will know the voice of the Lord and realize that its not so hard to hear from Him afterall.

Bless you.

N&W

Just reiterating what you wrote here... Great point! I stopped writing daily in my journal when I was getting married and really have not picked it back up again. I need to. I think I am okay at being still...not as good as I used to be and need to practice this discipline better. The Lord really was able to deal with me better when I was clear about what was going on with me; words don't lie, do they? :nono: It was amazing how the "story" of my inner life would unfold month by month and God would grow me in the areas He chose. Thank you for the reminder...

cj

Just reiterating what you wrote here... Great point! I stopped writing daily in my journal when I was getting married and really have not picked it back up again. I need to. I think I am okay at being still...not as good as I used to be and need to practice this discipline better. The Lord really was able to deal with me better when I was clear about what was going on with me; words don't lie, do they? :nono: It was amazing how the "story" of my inner life would unfold month by month and God would grow me in the areas He chose. Thank you for the reminder...

cj

You are welcome. God gave me most of my sermons from those times of journaling...especially when I was going through the rough times of my life.

May your journaling help you, once again, to hear clearer what the Father is saying to you.

Blessings, always.

Sometimes I just sit and smile. I think about how awesome God is and all the ways He has blessed me. And yes I wait until I feel the time is right to open my mouth. As soon as you hit your knees you will be in the presence of the Lord. The bible says that in the presence of the Lord is fullness of joy and that's why I just smile. I am just happy and full of the joy of the Lord. I know I am safe, protected and in the everlasting arms of my father. Kind of like a baby being held. Just take your time and trust God to move. The more you do it, the easier it will be for you. Just know there is no rush. That is your personal, intimate time with the Lord. It will become a habit for you and you will look forward to your time with Him. HTH Q

Whew yeah I need to talk with you again...lemme search for that info again.:wallbash:

You are welcome. God gave me most of my sermons from those times of journaling...especially when I was going through the rough times of my life.

May your journaling help you, once again, to hear clearer what the Father is saying to you.

Blessings, always.

Me too. I get a most of my blog postings from my time with the Lord. Q

Thanks much! I'm still a work in progress, I crave that dialogue, and I get frustrated b\c I don't get that from him. :ohwell: Maybe I'm not spending enough time . I ask, I wait and I roll out when I don't hear anything. :nono:

I love love love hearing his voice , its come either in my head or in my heart as words , or as a knowing, a new understanding, revelation, a spiritual experience , such as a dream or just something that happened in prayer, or through another

but I would not trade hearing his voice in all things for ANYTHING in this world

I lost alot of that closeness with him through focusing on a relationship and I MISS IT and am seeking again it with all I am, I HAVE noticed over the last few months it has been starting to come back more and more, little by little and am so thankful for that.

I love love love hearing his voice , its come either in my head or in my heart as words , or as a knowing, a new understanding, revelation, a spiritual experience , such as a dream or just something that happened in prayer, or through another

but I would not trade hearing his voice in all things for ANYTHING in this world

I lost alot of that closeness with him through focusing on a relationship and I MISS IT and am seeking again it with all I am, I HAVE noticed over the last few months it has been starting to come back more and more, little by little and am so thankful for that.

This is exciting!!!:grin: I can't wait to get to this point where you are! :yep: There are times when I KNOW God has spoken to me, but it's never what i'm necessarily asking about . I don't think I'm giving US a good amount of quiet time

Last edited:
I'm always tickled when he shows me or speaks to me something that for all reasoning looks impossible and he tells me a word to hold on to or will actually show me the outcome when it looks so crazy and outlandish

I love it when he does that

Its been a while, I need me some more of that hehe

not to mention the times he told me something that saved me from something when no one else could

he's my Hero! Almighty

keep seeking him , you will hear him, Its a promise from him

Bless you.

N&W

Thank you ladies this is a good starting point, I will try these....

Back