Becoming Discouraged

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
Hi guys. I'm up, since 5:30 am feeling kinda lame. I'm recovering emotionally and physically from a horrid touch up experience (last sunday). The short of it: I have/had sores on my head and underprocessed parts all in my hair. I DC'ed yesterday only to realize this morning that the back of my head (on the left) is severly underprocessed and is basically still a 'fro. I spent 30 minutes detangling it this morning just to wrap my hair back up...

As a result of all this i'm feeling pretty frustrated and I'm afraid that my hair is just gonna fall out. I want to see a professional, but probably won't be able to afford it within the next 4 weeks (for a corrective). My mom did my relaxer, as usual, but this time caused such a disaster from her " old school detangling methods" :ohwell:.

Ok, that's my rant for now...Any words of wisdom? Here's the progress from my last 12 week stretch (My siggy is from May):

Attachments

• DSC01339.jpg
    DSC01339.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC01340.jpg
    DSC01340.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 88
I don't think that it looks bad but if you were going for bone straight then it definitely did not happen. Just keep deep conditioning and maybe wear it up for a while. Do you own a good flat iron? I am sure that during your next relaxer you can process this portion of your hair even if you have to wait longer than 4 week. It'll be fine I am sure.

(((HUG)))
I've had very underprocessed hair in the past (After a 14 week stretch) BUT I didn't go for a corrective relaxer... what I did was wait 8 weeks (much less than I stretched for) before getting a touch up/corrective... I DC'd 1-2ce a week and just did styles that required little manipulation.
Your hair looks good, try to wait a few more weeks... You should be ok :yep:

(((HUG)))
I've had very underprocessed hair in the past (After a 14 week stretch) BUT I didn't go for a corrective relaxer... what I did was wait 8 weeks (much less than I stretched for) before getting a touch up/corrective... I DC'd 1-2ce a week and just did styles that required little manipulation.

Thanks for the responses...
I would definitely skip the corrective if this did not happen before. I had underprocessed hair before my last stretch and decided to get to it during the last relaxer. Due to lack of smoothing, we missed the original uncorrected ipieces. Am I making sense? I'm scared that all this retouching is gonna have my hair on the floor.
My hair doesn't look too bad, but it's starting to cause alot of manipulation on my part. I guess I'm just frustrated.

(((HUG)))

This sounds like a great plan. I would wait at leas 6 weeks to correct. Sorry this happened to you.

I think i'm overreacting. I tried to post a pic of what's going on in the back of my head to no avail. I just want everything on my head to be even, for once.

You had "sores" on your head? :burning: My words of advice GO NATURAL! Sorry, I am 100% biased, but why put stuff in you head that causes physical injury?

Join the team!!! :afro:

Hi guys. I'm up, since 5:30 am feeling kinda lame. I'm recovering emotionally and physically from a horrid touch up experience (last sunday). The short of it: I have/had sores on my head and underprocessed parts all in my hair. I DC'ed yesterday only to realize this morning that the back of my head (on the left) is severly underprocessed and is basically still a 'fro. I spent 30 minutes detangling it this morning just to wrap my hair back up...

As a result of all this i'm feeling pretty frustrated and I'm afraid that my hair is just gonna fall out. I want to see a professional, but probably won't be able to afford it within the next 4 weeks (for a corrective). My mom did my relaxer, as usual, but this time caused such a disaster from her " old school detangling methods" :ohwell:.

Ok, that's my rant for now...Any words of wisdom? Here's the progress from my last 12 week stretch (My siggy is from May):

What is old school detangling methods?

I believe that underprocessing is ALWAYS better than overprocessed hair. You can always correct it later. I agree with with MummysGirl said.

I remember underprocessing my whole head and my husband complaining about how nappy my hair was. I waited another 2 months to correct it which was the time I would normally relax. I just bunned for that time period.

What is old school detangling methods?

I believe that underprocessing is ALWAYS better than overprocessed hair. You can always correct it later. I agree with with MummysGirl said.

I remember underprocessing my whole head and my husband complaining about how nappy my hair was. I waited another 2 months to correct it which was the time I would normally relax. I just bunned for that time period.

My sentiments exactly. Don't fear the fro, join us!!!

Lol. I've only been relaxed for less than 3 years now. If i knew about this board I would've stayed natural. I do plan on rockin' my natural roots in the future, but i will stay relaxed for now...if i can do it w/o further "damage". during my stretch I got to see my full curl pattern again, and remembered how incredibly hard it was to upkeep my natural hair in college. At least for me...

My mom raked the comb through my poor head like I was just some nappy headed negro. She knows how thick and course my roots are (because she permed me very young and i don't blame her). But, She went against the grain and didn't comb from the ends up. I agee with you, i'd rather be underprocessed. I will probably touch it up myself.

Last edited:
Lol. I've only been relaxed for less than 3 years now. If i knew about this board I would've stayed natural. I do plan on rockin' my natural roots in the future, but i will stay relaxed for now...if i can do it w/o further "damage". during my stretch I got to see my full curl pattern again, and remembered how incredibly hard it was to upkeep my natural hair in college. At least for me...

My mom raked the comb through my poor head like I was just some nappy headed negro. She knows how thick and course my roots are (because she permed me very young and i don't blame her). But, She went against the grain and didn't comb from the ends up.

Oh, I had forgotten about that.

Perhaps it is best that you learn how to relax your own hair. When I was younger, my mom used to do the same to me. She would rake the comb thru and relax my entire head. :sad: I used to protest that she only do the NG, but she would say U don't like it, do it yourself.:nono: I used to get burned each time she did it, but through some miracle, my hair was super long (MBL) and it looked healthy. Maybe your mom thinks she is doing a good job, like mine thought.:ohwell: Sorry you went through the torture.:rosebud:

(((HUGS))).

I can't tell you how many times I've been unintentionally underprocessed. Let it work for you. Deep condition those strands and work it as per normal until your next touch up. At your next touch up, do the newgrowth only, but then lightly smoosh the relaxer over those parts you want to correct.... but only for a minute. Any longer and you may end up with breakage. Put some oil or base on the rest of the hair as protection.

Your hair looks good in the pics. Cant even tell you have a problem.

Maybe some relaxed women can help me understand. If you were relaxed bone straight before your touch up, and you get a touch up on your new growth only, even if you under-process the new growth, how does the rest of the hair become a fro? It was relaxed bone straight before. How does getting a touchup on your roots make the rest of your hair become afro-y?

^^I think OP meant the roots of her hair in the back still felt like a baby fro because it was barely relaxed.

ETA: When I have a lot of NG my hair basically looks like a baby fro/TWA with straight ends hanging off of it.

Don't lose hope, hon! I have had very bad relaxer session all at the hands of Professionals, mind!
I would baby my scalp for the next few weeks and hold off doing a corrective until next 8 weeks. Use natural oils like castor oil on your scalp a few times a wekk to help heal the scarred areas and then keep your new growht well moisturized. Strengthen your hair before the next service with a protein conditioning treatment and you should be fine. I'm texlaxed so I intentionally underprocess my hair. You have stronger hair but you can always correct it later as mentioned by the lovely ladies above!
HTHs! :)

I think i'm overreacting. I tried to post a pic of what's going on in the back of my head to no avail. I just want everything on my head to be even, for once.

I agree with dlewis and MummysGirl....

Protective style for 6 to 8 weeks to give your hair and scalp a break. Then get a professional corrective. I don't know how your hair takes protein (my hair hates hard proteins), but you need some sort of protein treatment to strengthen your hair. I use and egg/Castor Oil or EVOO combo as my only protein treatment once a week. I follow that up with a DC and I also DC only mid-week. I rollerset only... no direct heat. Bury your flat iron for the next 6-8 weeks.

Back