"Beads" For Braided Hair

Peachtree

\"Beads\" For Braided Hair

I'm looking to jazz up my braided styles a bit, by wearing a few beads along the bottom of my braids. I bought some that looks pretty, the inside opening is rather large with a nice smooth finish (won't cut nor snag my hair).

I haven't worn beads since grade school, so I haven't a clue what i'm in for, u know, poping me in the face
laugh.gif
that type of thing....

But anyway, here's my question.... What do u ladies recommend for holding the beads in place? I don't wanna walk around with a big ball of aluminum foil on the ends (keeping in mind, the center opening is rather large). I'm not even trying to think of those tiny black rubber bands... that's a no no
nono.gif
. What else is there???
confused.gif

Thanks for your help ladies
trampoline.gif

Peachtree

Re: \"Beads\" For Braided Hair

I think if you get the blax snag-free instead of the regular kind you should be fine. I had these on the ends of some cornrows once, holding in some beads. When I took them out, no hair came out with most of them. (I chalk up the few that did to shed hairs).

Hey UmSumayyah, help me out girl...."blax snag-free"...r these beads? I'm sorry, but I've never heard of these. Is there a site that sells these? Or at least shows a pic?

Thanks in advance sweetie
cool.gif

Peachtree

Hi Peachtree--
I think UmSumayyah was talking about snag-free rubber bands, which you can usually find at Sally's or any beauty supply store. They'll say "snag-free" or "break-free" on the bag. I've used these on my daughter's hair & even tho' they say snag free, I still use small scissors to cut them off instead of pulling them off. They're cheap, so tossing them is no big deal.

If the black bands are put in correctly you can't even see them around the bead.

Yah, I meant the blax snag-free elastics. They are very different from rubber bands, much smoother. They don't sell them at my sally's or at the drugstores I have seen. I have only seen them online. If you do a search for blax elastics you should find them.
Maybe you would have better luck finding them at a bss in NY? Anyway a search should yield further clues.

Maybe you can put cowrie shells at the ends to hold the beads on or a smaller bead at the end. When I was wearing those big beads at the ends of my braids, I would put a smaller silver-colored bead at the end (like a pony bead), then use a bit of foil. Sometimes I would pull a bead through a single strand (of a three-stranded braid) then continue braiding down. The bead would then be incorporated into the braid.

Also, I've seen those tiny bands in the stores that are clear & smooth. The look like some type of plastic & probably won't snag the hair.

Naturalistic, thanks for clearing that up for me girlie
cool.gif

UmSumayyah, r these the one's u r referring to?
4mmblack_z.gif

Hey Ipanema,
Thanks for your tips luv
cool.gif
. I had a package of those shells in my hand, but I didn't purchase them... maybe i should reconsider
scratchchin.gif
. Also the "smaller" bead on the bottom idea... girlie, i like your creativity! Then the bottom bead "opening" wouldn't be as large...That's a cool idea
smile.gif

As a matter of fact, I was eyeing a child in church today... she had a smaller bead on the bottom of her braids, but her mom had a rubber band wrapped around the bead (inserted through) & fastened to her hair sum kinda' way...

I'll figure out something... I'll def shop around for the blax though
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Ipanema,
Thanks for your tips luv
cool.gif
. I had a package of those shells in my hand, but I didn't purchase them... maybe i should reconsider
scratchchin.gif
. Also the "smaller" bead on the bottom idea... girlie, i like your creativity! Then the bottom bead "opening" wouldn't be as large...That's a cool idea
smile.gif

As a matter of fact, I was eyeing a child in church today... she had a smaller bead on the bottom of her braids, but her mom had a rubber band wrapped around the bead (inserted through) & fastened to her hair sum kinda' way...

I'll figure out something... I'll def shop around for the blax though
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I do my niece's hair and use the little black rubber bands.. they don't show the way I put them in....

Hey Laela,
I don't mind if the black bands show... my problem is having them pull & get tangled on my ends... not to even mention having such tight tension on my delicate ends... I don't know... I may just have to use them if Sally's is out of the Blax.... or either just use the shells
scratchchin.gif

I think the shells would be a good substitute.. I've never tried the Blax.. good luck!

Back