Beach + SAND + SUN + Natural...In need of some suggestions

oooop2

Hey ladies...I need some advice as to what you ladies do to your natural tresses while on a tropical vacation.

Do you wash your hair daily? If so, are you washing daily w/ poo or are you just water rinsing, then adding condish?

How are you getting all of the sand out of your hair and scalp (especially if your hair is in twist/braids)???

Any particular product you use in order to help protect your hair?

Any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hey ladies...I need some advice as to what you ladies do to your natural tresses while on a tropical vacation.

MY ANSWERS RELATE TO ONE WEEK IN FLORIDA W HAIR IN SMALL TWISTS, & WHAT I WOULD CHANGE BASED ON MY EXPERIENCE

Do you wash your hair daily? If so, are you washing daily w/ poo or are you just water rinsing, then adding condish? I RINSED AND COWASHED DAILY, AND USED POO MAYBE ONLY 1CE.

How are you getting all of the sand out of your hair and scalp (especially if your hair is in twist/braids)??? WHEN YOU FIND OUT GIRL, TELL ME, LOL! EVEN WITH ALL THE RINSING AND COWASHING, WHEN I FINALLY TOOK MY TWISTS DOWN THERE WAS STILL LOTSA SAND HIDING IN THERE

Any particular product you use in order to help protect your hair? NOT IN MY CASE, BUT I'D LIKE TO KNOW TOO... IF I HADN'T BEEN TRYING TO PRESERVE MY SEXY I WOULD'VE COATED MY HAIR IN CONDISH & OILS AND USED A SWIMMING CAP AT LEAST SOME OF THE TIME. MY HAIR WAS STILL LIKE STRAW AT THE END OF MY HOLIDAY B4 I TOOK MY TWISTS DOWN, THEN I HAD TO DC & OIL RINSE MY HAIR BACK TO NORMALITY.

HTH, ENJOY YOUR HOLIDAY!!!

I was washing and conditioning daily because i was in the salt water daily.
I kept the conditioner in my hair for about half an hour each night while SO showered in an attempt to avoid drying my hair out with all the salt n junk.

Growing up on the beach with natural hair I can tell you that the salt water dries your hair out and if you are swimming everyday, you'll have to wash the salt or sand out daily or you'll get a dry, tangled mess. Walk with your moisturising conditioner and whatever else you use on your hair normally. Not even sure if twists and braids are the best way to go because it's difficult to get sand out and to rinse properly. But of course, you can avoid all this with a swimmers' cap unless you are sure you want to be dealing with the rinsing every night on a tropical vacation. There's so much more to do :)

When beachin'--yes, I only co-wash (rinse well and condition) right after. Shampooing everyday would dry your hair out ten times worse than a lil salt residue would. It's different if you were in chlorine--then you definitely should wash with shampoo. Anyway, I immediately co-wash and then put into a bun. I've never really had an issue with sand in my hair--it would be so little, was never an issue, and I use to go to the beach all the time (when I lived in Miami). I can't understand a significant amount of sand getting in your hair, unless you're actually rolling around in it.

i say twist it up and cowash every time you get outta the water...
depends on your hair type though, when i do this they don't unravel and they don't loc up
my friend however gets locs after day 2 and is combing and combing... just depends on whats good 4 u

I used to apply conditioner to my hair before swimming but now I use coconut oil instead because it prevents the water from swelling the hair up to the point that you get damage, and I swear that I read that it also acts as a sunscreen but that might be just wishful thinking.

My natural headed niece's were here for two months this summer and we went swimming at least 3 times a week and they just cowash and oil as normal. I also used henna on them while they were here.

You really shouldn't get much sand in your hair but if you do then let your hair dry before you try to get it out especially if it is on your scalp. It is easier to get out when dry.

Hey Ladies..Thanks for the responses.

For about 8days, my hair/scalp felt great. I would daily rinse my twist w/ cool water and apply oils/moisturizer. Then on day 9, a nice series of waves took me under and as a result, I had sand all embedded w/in my hair/scalp. I'm trying to make my twist last until my vacation is over, but I don't want sand to start irritating my scalp. But my overall hair feels soft and well moisturized.

I also have 2 girls who have thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of being on the beach. I've been washing their hair daily w/ condish and placing their hair in large twist or WnG ponytails. But my daughter w/ fine, thick 3c hair is starting to become a nightmare. It's starting to get matted b/c she won't sit still long enough for me to detangle it and her not getting into the water isn't an option. Just trying to find ways to make this hair care process a bit less taxing while on vacation......

Last edited:
Hey Ladies..Thanks for the responses.

For about 8days, my hair/scalp felt great. I would daily rinse my twist w/ cool water and apply oils/moisturizer. Then on day 9, a nice series of waves took me under and as a result, I had sand all embedded w/in my hair/scalp. I'm trying to make my twist last until my vacation is over, but I don't want sand to start irritating my scalp. But my overall hair feels soft and well moisturized.

This is exactly why my hair was full of sand... :nono: And I can't swim so I was always nearer to the shore exposed to the sand in those darn waves

Back