Be Careful Who You Buy From

iVR

So my mother and I were store hopping. We do this once a week to compare hair product prices of salon-brand products, normal products, and "cheapie" products. Lo and behold, look what I found! Now I'm using Nexxus as an example because I've been using it for over 5 years and I'm familiar with it. However, I figured if salon-brands do what I'm about to describe others do too!

So the bottle on the far left is the split-end prevention leave-in. IT DOES NOT have "satisfaction guaranteed" on the bottle but it DOES SAY "patent pending". So they put the product out there to feel out the public.

The middle bottle DOES NOT "satisfaction guaranteed" on the bottle, but there may be two reasons: 1)They're testing the product on the general public without the "patent pending" warning or 2)The place it's being sold at is not authorized that sale that particular Nexxus product.

The last bottle DOES have "satisfaction guaranteed" on it.

I say all this to hopefully share with you guys when shopping we have to be aware of what we're buying. Too many times we bash products because they didn't do what we expected them to do. But did we ever stop to see if it's "patent pending", backed by the company, or the ingredients we need? Some products have large words in their ingredient list, but some of those large words aren't bad and some of them aren't good.

Attachments

• image-2444744635.jpg
    image-2444744635.jpg
    488.5 KB · Views: 88
"Patent Pending" means the hair product formulation is not protected from people who attempt to copy it until the actual patent is published and/or issued.

The phrase "Patent Pending" has no legal effect. It just means that an application for patent has been filed in the US Patent and Trademark Office.

"Patent Pending" means the hair product formulation is not protected from people who attempt to copy it until the actual patent is published and/or issued.

The phrase "Patent Pending" has no legal effect. It just means that an application for patent has been filed in the US Patent and Trademark Office.

That implies that it is a newer formulation though, no? If it was an older formulation I would suspect that they would have already received their patent?

DoDo
It can take two years or longer for a patent application to be processed. Then you need to go back and forth with the USPTO for a little bit with office actions so it can be 3 years to get a patent issued. Add if there is an appeal that means a much longer process.

Last edited:
DoDo
It can take two years or longer for a patent application to be processed. Then you need to go back and forth with the USPTO for a little bit with office actions so it can be 3 years to get a patent issued. Add in an appeal and that means a much longer process.

Thank you! That is good to know, I had no idea! You are very knowledgeable about this stuff. :yep:

Back